Flemming Torp

Thank you for your input.

Being more of a sailor, than a network or IT expert, the reason
for me raising the question in this group was a letter from a
fellow called Bruce - Feb.12th - that gave an short resumé of his
solution, and I liked it, and tried to 'call' him for some more
details - you know: From sailor to sailor - obviously. and
unfortunately without a positive result.

It is my experience that it is often much easier to follow or
join a conversation/discussion about exchange of ideas, and some
ones experience with specific solutions, when the participants
'are at the same footings', and share the same interests. Me
talking to a very bright computer/network expert is not always
very giving, as he or she does not understand, what I do not
understand. And the result is ... ... well, not very useful - one
could say ...

But I got your message. Thank you.
--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'
skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
Your question is definetly a networking issue, compatible devices
and
software configuration. This is independent of what you running
on your
pc. Get the PPC networked to your Pc using a wireless network
hub, and
get VNC configured properly. All else is irrelevant.

If this doesn't help, try other newsgroups geared to Pocket PCs
and
networking, VNCs.

Good luck.
Luis Castro

By the Way, all the below is a network connection, but not of the
type
that will sustain VNC. So your barking up the wrong tree. Get
your PPC
and PC wireless networked, and run VNC to the IP address you give
your
Pc.

Chart plotting on a small screen, may be very cumbersome, beside
time-consuming.

Flemming Torp (kanelbolle anmar) wrote:
"Dennis Pogson" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
Flemming Torp wrote:
Thank you for your input. All I know, is that there is a
cable
connection between the socket of my PPC and into a USB port
in
my
notebook. The program is called Microsoft ActiveSync, and I
can
'see' the memory of the PPC from explorer on the notebook,
when
the PPC is in the craddle ... And via this connection I can
send
data back and forth. F.ex. synchronize Outlook, download
maps
from PC to PPC.

Snip

I carried out an experiment last night. Set up my laptop and
moved the
wireless mouse away to the far end of the room. I was able to
control the
mouse on-screen from 20 feet away. Set up a remote TFT
display
at this
distance and was able to work the laptop from at least 20
feet
away.

Now, if the remote screen could be made portable and
weatherproof..........................

My wife has an old (you know, a couple of years) 15" TFT for
office use only.
As I'm looking for a 'nice to know-solution' (not to say
'quick&dirty'), and the screen needs a power cable anyway, so
I'm
not that concerned about the cable to the PC ... So may be, she
really needs a new 17" TFT monitor? I will ask her ...

What about setting it up behind a perspex window in the
cockpit
bulkhead?
Not impossible, and certainly a cheap solution. All modern
TFT's are
equipped for wall mounting, which makes it easy to set up.

A 19" TFT costing UK£225 is available, and could be seen from
anywhere in
the cockpit provided there was enough space in the bulkhead
mount it.
Only trouble is, these things consume power like there is no
tomorrow!

And also the contrast/light of the monitor could be a problem -
will have to make an experiment ...
As my initial idea was to use my PPC, I think 15" will be OK.
Some kind of protection will be needed - and, I agree, the
power
consumption is an issue.
I will give it a try with my wife's TFT, before I invest in
something new ...

Now, where did I put that

Dennis

No Sir! This is just a 'nice to have' supplement to the 'real
navigation equipment down under' - no jigsaw will be needed in
this case ... If I won in the lottery, and would spend DKK
52.000,- for the RayMarine M 1500 monitor (one U$ equals 5,70
DKK) it might (just might!) deserve its own 'whole' in the
bulkhead ... but to be honest - its not on the top of my wish
list ...

Thank you for your constructive input!