Default Deals on bluewater boats yet?

"Ansley W. Sawyer" wrote in message
Ray,

I am afraid that you are a bit optimistic about finding a decent cruising
boat for $1K/foot. I would think that $2-3K/foot is more realistic.

I do not think that most of us cruising sailors will sell our boats during
these hard financial times. We may sell our homes/wives/kids/stuff and
keep our boats.

Cheers

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Got my Sabre 30 for under that by far... figuring with the upgrades, it was
about over $1.5K per foot

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

In article ,
ray lunder wrote:

Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat for approx a us
buck per foot. Any ideas? Techniques? I've tried 38/48 north and
craigslist so far. Most of these are worn out craft from the 60/70's
in need of major refit or were never cruise equiped in the first
place. To cruise equip a boat at present "boatyard" or "west marine"
cost is prohibitive. I'm in washington state, usa but don't mind
flying somewhere. You'd think with all these bank problems people
would be forced to sell luxury items. Are we going to see a 70's style
bargain hunter season any time soon? Please don't let this degrade
into a political thread, I just want to buy a boat. What's a person
with ready cash to do?

My wife has just told me she doesn't want to liveaboard and cruise the
Carib... so my 40' is for sale.. $35K, surveyed at $58K in '05. Pics on
the web page under my nick..

--
Molesworth

http://www.stcustards.free-online.co.uk/

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat for approx a us
buck per foot. Any ideas? Techniques? I've tried 38/48 north and
craigslist so far. Most of these are worn out craft from the 60/70's
in need of major refit or were never cruise equiped in the first
place. To cruise equip a boat at present "boatyard" or "west marine"
cost is prohibitive. I'm in washington state, usa but don't mind
flying somewhere. You'd think with all these bank problems people
would be forced to sell luxury items. Are we going to see a 70's style
bargain hunter season any time soon? Please don't let this degrade
into a political thread, I just want to buy a boat. What's a person
with ready cash to do?

Coronado 27s will always get top dollar regardless of market conditions.

You'll not easily find any examples of that fine blue water capable vessel
on the selling block. People who own them are so pleased with them that they
just keep sailing them and upgrading them until the day they die. The only
Coronado 27s you'll see for sail have been neglected and abused by ignorant
sailors who could break an anvil.

Whitaker Yachts produced over 1200 Coronado 27s and at any given time at
least half of those are plying the oceans of the world taking good care of
their crew.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:56:47 -0600, "Charles Momsen"
wrote:

"ray lunder" wrote in message
.. .
Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat for approx a us
buck per foot. Any ideas? Techniques? I've tried 38/48 north and
craigslist so far. Most of these are worn out craft from the 60/70's
in need of major refit or were never cruise equiped in the first
place. To cruise equip a boat at present "boatyard" or "west marine"
cost is prohibitive. I'm in washington state, usa but don't mind
flying somewhere. You'd think with all these bank problems people
would be forced to sell luxury items. Are we going to see a 70's style
bargain hunter season any time soon? Please don't let this degrade
into a political thread, I just want to buy a boat. What's a person
with ready cash to do?

Coronado 27s will always get top dollar regardless of market conditions.

Well, they will at least come quite close to the specified $1 a foot
in the OP's query.

Molesworth wrote:
In article ,
ray lunder wrote:

[...]

Late Sunday afternoon at the Annapolis Sailboat show I sauntered up to a
nice lady at at well know catamaran dealer. Smugly I said "How's
business? Quite grim I presume."

"No, not at all, much interest and have sold a few. Seems people want
to get something tangible for their money before it goes away."

So there you have it, people would rather invest in "hole in the water
you pour money into" as safer than a bank.

Grim outlook.

I think in a while things will change, but for now, no.

In article , Molesworth wrote:
In article ,
ray lunder wrote:

[...]

Nope, I must be dense, all I'm finding is St. Custards. Go on, give us a
clue.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:04:29 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:56:47 -0600, "Charles Momsen"
wrote:

"ray lunder" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Total weight, of similar objects, varies with the cube of the length.
So a 54 foot boat would cost eight times as much as a 27. This might
even be pretty close for the hull and machinery, less so with the
electronics as you don't have to go bigger and better. The cheapest
GPS will replace a sextant as well as a pricey one.

Ten foot dingys don't generally cost ten grand, and no way you get a
54 foot boat for 54 big ones. There is a point in between where it is
a grand a foot, that is a mathmatical certainty.

Casady

ray lunder wrote:

Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat for approx a us
buck per foot.

My wife has just told me she doesn't want to liveaboard and cruise the
Carib... so my 40' is for sale.. $35K, surveyed at $58K in '05. Pics on
the web page under my nick..

Nope, I must be dense, all I'm finding is St. Custards. Go on, give us a
clue.

Sorry Justin. I meant the ng members website.. although I'll put the
pics up somewhere today and post it here.. I'm in no rush (in fact I
won't mind if I keep it - love it to bits).. Oh, and it is 1980 and has
a '05 Yanmar 4cyl diesel and transmission..

--
Molesworth

http://www.stcustards.free-online.co.uk/

wrote:

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat for approx a us
buck per foot. Any ideas? Techniques? I've tried 38/48 north and
craigslist so far....

Total weight, of similar objects, varies with the cube of the length.
So a 54 foot boat would cost eight times as much as a 27. This might
even be pretty close for the hull and machinery, less so with the
electronics as you don't have to go bigger and better. The cheapest
GPS will replace a sextant as well as a pricey one.

Ten foot dingys don't generally cost ten grand, and no way you get a
54 foot boat for 54 big ones. There is a point in between where it is
a grand a foot, that is a mathmatical certainty.

Casady

This note was very like waving a red flag at a bull, or more nearly,
waving a line of cocaine at a rock guitarist.

I sampled price versus length from offers at SailboatTraderOnline,
for the names initialized by A thru G
(Allmand, Beneteau, Cal, Dufour, Endeavour,
Fountain, Grampian, Hunter)

...and planted the list of lengths versus boat bucks into NLREG
(a non linear regression tool.)

This came up with
Price in boat bucks = [ 0.115 times Length in feet ] cubed.

The fit is not particularly great (It explains 0.43 of the variance)
but it is plausible for a random sample of boats,
so for a
20 ft pay $12.2K
30 ft pay $41K
40 ft pay $97.3 K
50ft pay $190 K

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Title "Regression model: Price $K of sailboat versus length ft";
Variable Len; // hull length in ft
Variable Price; // Asking price
Parameter Price1; // fit price1
Parameter Price2; // fit price2
Function Price = ( price1 * Len ) ^ Price2 ;
plot;
Data;
31 17.5
31 21.5
34 145
29 13.9
50 109
37 79
27 10
34 19.9
35 62
39 49.9
40 216.4
37 125
42 139.9
30 55
32 14
33 34.5
29 75
30 10
31 64.7
45 334
30 13.5
30 30
******************************
/end

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:17:19 -0500, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

I sampled price versus length from offers at SailboatTraderOnline,
for the names initialized by A thru G
(Allmand, Beneteau, Cal, Dufour, Endeavour,
Fountain, Grampian, Hunter)

..and planted the list of lengths versus boat bucks into NLREG
(a non linear regression tool.)

This came up with
Price in boat bucks = [ 0.115 times Length in feet ] cubed.

The fit is not particularly great (It explains 0.43 of the variance)
but it is plausible for a random sample of boats,
so for a
20 ft pay $12.2K
30 ft pay $41K
40 ft pay $97.3 K
50ft pay $190 K

Try it again based on price per pound and I'll bet that it is close to
a linear fit. New boat prices range from $20 to$30/lb and older used
boats anywhere from $2 to $5.

Shopping Deals e40xyasm Touring 0 December 25th 07 05:55 PM
Sail Deals Gilligan ASA 3 October 17th 06 07:16 PM
FS: Amazing boat deals and project boats in City Island, NY Capt. Rob Marketplace 0 February 28th 06 03:51 PM
Amazing Deals.... Bobsprit ASA 0 October 20th 03 12:57 PM
Good deals in Oz! Scott Vernon ASA 1 June 24th 03 02:04 PM