Default Deals on bluewater boats yet?

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat

42' Wauquiez Centurion
a.. Year: 1991
b.. Current Price: Can$ 179,900
c.. Located in Vancouver, BC
d.. Hull Material: Fiberglass
e.. Engine/Fuel Type: Single Diesel
f.. YW# 3744-1779480
Details at: http://www.fraseryachtsales.com/

Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat for approx a us
buck per foot. Any ideas? Techniques? I've tried 38/48 north and
craigslist so far. Most of these are worn out craft from the 60/70's
in need of major refit or were never cruise equiped in the first
place. To cruise equip a boat at present "boatyard" or "west marine"
cost is prohibitive. I'm in washington state, usa but don't mind
flying somewhere. You'd think with all these bank problems people
would be forced to sell luxury items. Are we going to see a 70's style
bargain hunter season any time soon? Please don't let this degrade
into a political thread, I just want to buy a boat. What's a person
with ready cash to do?

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat for approx a us
buck per foot. Any ideas? Techniques? I've tried 38/48 north and
craigslist so far. Most of these are worn out craft from the 60/70's
in need of major refit or were never cruise equiped in the first
place. To cruise equip a boat at present "boatyard" or "west marine"
cost is prohibitive. I'm in washington state, usa but don't mind
flying somewhere. You'd think with all these bank problems people
would be forced to sell luxury items. Are we going to see a 70's style
bargain hunter season any time soon? Please don't let this degrade
into a political thread, I just want to buy a boat. What's a person
with ready cash to do?

$30-$40 for a cruising sailboat? Have we estimated that correctly? Do you
mean $30K-$40K?

Dennis.

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:03:43 -0000, "Dennis Pogson"

$30-$40 for a cruising sailboat? Have we estimated that correctly? Do you
mean $30K-$40K?

Dennis.

40 boat bucks, I imagine

Brian W

Ray,

I am afraid that you are a bit optimistic about finding a decent cruising
boat for $1K/foot. I would think that $2-3K/foot is more realistic.

I do not think that most of us cruising sailors will sell our boats during
these hard financial times. We may sell our homes/wives/kids/stuff and keep
our boats.

Cheers

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Take a look at www.sailingtexas.com.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

ray lunder wrote:
Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat for approx a us
buck per foot. Any ideas? Techniques? I've tried 38/48 north and
craigslist so far. Most of these are worn out craft from the 60/70's
in need of major refit or were never cruise equiped in the first
place. To cruise equip a boat at present "boatyard" or "west marine"
cost is prohibitive. I'm in washington state, usa but don't mind
flying somewhere. You'd think with all these bank problems people
would be forced to sell luxury items. Are we going to see a 70's style
bargain hunter season any time soon? Please don't let this degrade
into a political thread, I just want to buy a boat. What's a person
with ready cash to do?

Try looking around Galveston Bay. There's probably a few hurricane
salvage boats that have large holes in the hull you can get for a bargain.

Otherwise, go troll elsewhere.

ray lunder wrote:
Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat for approx a us
buck per foot. Any ideas? Techniques? I've tried 38/48 north and
craigslist so far. Most of these are worn out craft from the 60/70's
in need of major refit or were never cruise equiped in the first
place. To cruise equip a boat at present "boatyard" or "west marine"
cost is prohibitive. I'm in washington state, usa but don't mind
flying somewhere. You'd think with all these bank problems people
would be forced to sell luxury items. Are we going to see a 70's style
bargain hunter season any time soon? Please don't let this degrade
into a political thread, I just want to buy a boat. What's a person
with ready cash to do?

Older boats are in this range including some excellently made ones. I'll
start you with Westsail 32 and then Pearsons or Cape Dorys. You are just
a bit light for a ready to go boat, but there are plenty which need some
spiffying up which are out there.

Finding them is easy. To start online, go to yachtworld.com, put in your
spec's and then just browse away.

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat for approx a us
buck per foot. Any ideas? Techniques? I've tried 38/48 north and
craigslist so far. Most of these are worn out craft from the 60/70's
in need of major refit or were never cruise equiped in the first
place. To cruise equip a boat at present "boatyard" or "west marine"
cost is prohibitive. I'm in washington state, usa but don't mind
flying somewhere. You'd think with all these bank problems people
would be forced to sell luxury items. Are we going to see a 70's style
bargain hunter season any time soon? Please don't let this degrade
into a political thread, I just want to buy a boat. What's a person
with ready cash to do?

Coronado 27s will always get top dollar regardless of market conditions.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:55:47 -0800, ray lunder
wrote:

Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat for approx a us
buck per foot. Any ideas? Techniques? I've tried 38/48 north and
craigslist so far. Most of these are worn out craft from the 60/70's
in need of major refit or were never cruise equiped in the first
place. To cruise equip a boat at present "boatyard" or "west marine"
cost is prohibitive. I'm in washington state, usa but don't mind
flying somewhere. You'd think with all these bank problems people
would be forced to sell luxury items. Are we going to see a 70's style
bargain hunter season any time soon? Please don't let this degrade
into a political thread, I just want to buy a boat. What's a person
with ready cash to do?

Spend some time prowling Yacht World and remember that those are
"asking" prices. Everything is highly negotiable. The used boat
capitol of the world is Ft Lauderdale/South Florida. There are lots
of 30 something boats in your price range but not many 40s unless they
need a *lot* of work. Prices increase in non-linear proportion to
length. Weight/displacement is a better indicator.

The time to buy is probably right now. In the mid to late 70s
inflation took hold in a big way and the price of used boats actually
appreciated for a while, priced in dollars. It was an illusion
however because the price of new boats increased even more. This
scenario is likely to repeat itself several years down the road.

What ever you buy, plan on spending at least half again as much, quite
possibly more, to get it back up to reliable, cruise-ready condition.
A more realistic price point for a good 40 footer ready to cruise is
in the range of $100K. After that, plan on spending at least $10K per
year just on boat upgrades and maintenance.

Shopping Deals e40xyasm Touring 0 December 25th 07 04:55 PM
Sail Deals Gilligan ASA 3 October 17th 06 07:16 PM
FS: Amazing boat deals and project boats in City Island, NY Capt. Rob Marketplace 0 February 28th 06 02:51 PM
Amazing Deals.... Bobsprit ASA 0 October 20th 03 12:57 PM
Good deals in Oz! Scott Vernon ASA 1 June 24th 03 02:04 PM