Default Cool boat & travel computer

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:15:41 -0500, cavelamb himself wrote:

Find me a decent CAD to replace my beloved Design CAD and I'll convert
to Linux.

google qcad

But the think that keeps Ubuntu in the box is the CAD issue.

what does that mean?

Yes, Timex was the distributor here. They first came out as a kit for about
$150 but were later sold assembled which is the way I bought mine.

--
Roger Long

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:15:41 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

But the thing that keeps Ubuntu in the box is the CAD issue.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=linux+CAD+software

cavelamb himself wrote in
m:

Find me a decent CAD to replace my beloved Design CAD and I'll convert
to Linux. Or a way to run without it (Wine still needs Win).

http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html

Will these do? Sorry the list is so deep....(c;

I'm sure you'll find one of them, maybe the one you're using now, ported to
Linux, directly. You don't need WINE.....

wrote in :

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 00:43:31 +0000, Larry wrote:

wrote in :

http://oldcomputers.net/trs100.html

Ha! My portable dumb terminal! I still have one in the piles
somewhere...Nice little dumb terminal machine.

It's been a long time since I fired mine up. Did it have built in
VT100 emulation? I don't recall that, but I suppose it's possible.

Yep...

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Anybody remember the Sinclair Z80? That was my first computer. A
Basic loop to count 1,2,3.... would go slower than you could say the
number out loud.

--
Roger Long

Z80's good....especially running CP/M OS....(c;

I was an Ohio Scientific microcomputer dealer. OSI had the first hard
drive micro, a 74MB (MB not GB) fixed hard drive stolen out of
minicomputers. It had a 14" platter and was mounted in the Model 3's
standard 18" equipment rack. There were 3 processors you could switch
between very easily. A 6502, Z80 and 6800 (not 68000). OS-65/U was the
companies OS to run on the 6502, a great little processor, and it came
with a very extended BASIC interpreter making software fun to write.

We wrote an accounting system to keep track of a few thousand vending
machines/jukeboxes, etc., for Sumter Music and Amusements in our town.
The system was the 74MB computer under OS-65/U with our BASIC program
running on it. The box used dumb terminals and we had 4 cards in it
with 4 ADDS Regent 24 dumb terminals on various desks in their office.
They were thrilled that such a cheap system could do what it cost, at
that time, hundreds of thousands of dollars to do on an expensive
minicomputer. It ran for years 24/7 off a commercial UPS we installed
for it. Crashing on power glitches wasn't pretty! It usually took out
the database. Backup was in 8" floppies each week and we handled that
for them after hours. Dick or I would go down at night and take the
backup with us in case the building burned we'd still have the whole
database, only updating what had been done between the backup and the
fire, which never happened. The UPS failed once, but we got lucky and
noone was writing to the hard drive when the crash occurred. We went
way, way past the noted MTBF. OSI couldn't believe how long it ran....
(c;

IBM came out with the PC and that was the end of OSI and our little
computer store. My biggest sale was to Liggett & Myers Tobacco Co in
North Carolina. They wanted to break their people into microcomputers
and funded a whole school with 36 OSI desktop computers in the training
room. Those used little NTSC video monitors as output and had two
floppy drives and a keyboard in a pre-Apple 1 small computer that
actually worked. Their IT boss was a fan of OSI and used to send us
some really neat software he wrote on them to play with on ours.

The PC just put everyone out of business....almost Apple, too!

The Maemo Linux hackers have written or ported many old small computer
emulators to the tablet's Linux OS. There may be one for the Sinclair.
There's one for the old TI handhelds, I know.

wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 00:45:49 +0000, Larry wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in
areasolutions:

I had an old HP portable... one of the first solid-state ones.

(The older ones had tubes....(c

For whatever reason, I sometimes save old pieces of technology. I have
a non-working Altair, a Kaypro suitcase, my first IBM PC, complete
with all original books, disks and receipts, The TRS100, a non-working
trs102, a 300 mb disk pack from a CDC washtub, an 80 mb winchester
drive that weighs about a pound per mb, etc, etc.

I've seen websites of people who are really serious about this stuff.
I have the stuff, but it's all in boxes stored away. I hardly ever
have the urge to open those boxes. I just have it.

You should consider seeing if a museum would take them as a donation... was
in the Smithsonian recently and saw a system I used to have (well, not the
same box, but). If you've never see the exhibit, you should check it out.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Anybody remember the Sinclair Z80? That was my first computer. A Basic
loop to count 1,2,3.... would go slower than you could say the number out
loud.

--
Roger Long

Saw one, never used it. I did use and work on Univacs, Dec 10s/20s, and
VAXs. I remember when Apple came by to give us a LISA demo. The conference
room was packed and we kept yelling out, what about this, can it do that? I
also remember when the first IBM PC showed up, and one of the programmers
immediately got it hooked up to a printer and it started printing Hello
World over and over.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Travel Trailer AND Boat Berta General 16 September 26th 07 05:24 AM
How far do you trailer / travel with your boat? Genius? Not! General 23 July 28th 05 06:29 PM
Columbus Boat and Travel Show bomar General 1 February 14th 05 04:00 AM
Now here's a cool boat DSK ASA 11 August 8th 04 11:27 PM
Boat For European Travel Rob Smith Cruising 0 July 19th 04 11:55 AM