Default Travel Trailer AND Boat

We just sold our motorhome and bought a travel trailer. The problem
we're facing now is how to combine a weekend of camping and boating.

We used to pull our 14' G3 open boat behind the MH but don't think we
qualify for one of those Long Load signs and pulling it behind the
trailer. LOL

Has anyone heard of a carrier that could be used in the back of the
pickup with the 8' foot bed? You know, like basically taking the
cradle off of the boat trailer, angling it up so we could back the
pickup up to the water, use the 12 volt winch to ease it down into the
water and reverse the process when loading it back on the pickup.

Or maybe a system that pivots down to the side of the rack above the
pickup to set the boat into the water and then to reverse the process
and turn it upside down on the overhead pickup rack?

I know it sounds crazy but I suppose anything might be possible with
all of the other contraptions they build for camping and boating use.

I realize the bow would be above the pickup cab but that would be
necessary so the stern wouldn't interfere with the travel trailer
tongue and propane tanks, etc.

Any ideas for this setup or companies that do this sort of thing or
should we forget it and just either give up boating or give up the
overnight camping on the weekends. I know we'd miss doing both like
before.

Berta

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 01:33:02 -0700, Berta
wrote:

[...]

I haven't ever seen anything like that and to tell the truth, don't
think it would work as it would change the venter of gravity on your
truck and make it very tippy.

wrote:

Any ideas for this setup or companies that do this sort of thing or
should we forget it and just either give up boating or give up the
overnight camping on the weekends. I know we'd miss doing both like
before.

When camping, leave the boat at home and get a couple of these:

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_i12s.html

Eisboch

wrote:

Any ideas for this setup or companies that do this sort of thing or
should we forget it and just either give up boating or give up the
overnight camping on the weekends. I know we'd miss doing both like
before.

When camping, leave the boat at home and get a couple of these:

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_i12s.html

Another option is to tow a Mac 26.
Camper/powerboat/sailboat.
There ya go.

--Vic

wrote:

Any ideas for this setup or companies that do this sort of thing or
should we forget it and just either give up boating or give up the
overnight camping on the weekends. I know we'd miss doing both like
before.

When camping, leave the boat at home and get a couple of these:

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_i12s.html

Shame on you - encouraging moving to the Dark Side.

FOR SHAME!!

wrote:

Any ideas for this setup or companies that do this sort of thing or
should we forget it and just either give up boating or give up the
overnight camping on the weekends. I know we'd miss doing both like
before.

Here's a possibility that has worked well for others:

http://www.porta-bote.com/

I've never used one but they get good reports from the folks who have.

On 25 Sep 07, Berta wrote:
Any ideas for this setup or companies that do this sort of thing or
should we forget it and just either give up boating

You may end up with some sort of acceptable compromise but don't give
up. If the rack for a heavier boat idea doesn't come through, and the
Portaboat idea won't do, maybe a lightweight 10'-12' aluminum skiff or
John boat might? Or a canoe? Several canoe makers offer a wide beam
square stern model that'll handle a small outboard.
Keep looking though. When you find a solution, don't forget to report
it back here. I'd bet it's a dilemma for lots of trailer
campers/boaters.

Rick

On Sep 25, 8:32 am, wrote:
On 25 Sep 07, Berta wrote:
Any ideas for this setup or companies that do this sort of thing or
should we forget it and just either give up boating

You may end up with some sort of acceptable compromise but don't give up. If the rack for a heavier boat idea doesn't come through, and the Portaboat idea won't do, maybe a lightweight 10'-12' aluminum skiff or John boat might? Or a canoe? Several canoe makers offer a wide beam square stern model that'll handle a small outboard. Keep looking though. When you find a solution, don't forget to report it back here. I'd bet it's a dilemma for lots of trailer campers/boaters.
Rick

Thanks Rick and I'm sure that out there somewhere is a device that
will solve the problem. Bottom line is---we have a boat already that
we like and do not want to purchase another, no need. This is the
21st century and someone, somewhere has licked this problem and
designed a device, perhaps with a hydraulic and/or 12 volt winch-
operated lift, that scoops up the boat from the side and turns it
upside down on the rack above and vice versa.

Come to think about it, isn't that how they launch dinghys off of
yachts? They keep them on the side of the yacht so this would just
involve lifting them a little more on top of the pickup rack, just
like the kind contractors use. This just doesn't seem like that huge
of a problem to me. And I don't understand why I can't find a company
that sells them despite surfing all the net looking for a solution.
Maybe we should just head to a welding shop with the design and let
them go at it.

Not trying to sound fixed-minded about this but we simply do not care
about options that include storing the boat by the lake, buying
another boat, etc. Continuing the hunt...

Berta

"Berta" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 25, 8:32 am, wrote:
On 25 Sep 07, Berta wrote:
[...]

Depends on the weight and type of boat. For aluminum boats, Eide makes a
boat loader.

On Sep 25, 2:14 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"Berta" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Sep 25, 8:32 am, wrote:
On 25 Sep 07, Berta wrote:
[...]

It's a Guide V14 made by G3 boats. Specs are 14' 6" long, 61" beam,
50" bottom width, 16" transom and it weighs 200 lbs. I'll check out
Eide.

Berta