Genius? Not!

Default How far do you trailer / travel with your boat?

I've got an 18 foot boat. And I'm new to boating. So I've got a million
questions. And probably more to follow those!

I think my day-trip limit, for now, is 2 hours to reach an uncrowded
warm-water lake.

The first thing to come to mind is how far do you like to trailer your boat
for vacations and long weekends?

How far is too far and what's makes your destination too far?

What makes your destination worth the distance?

Marty

Bill McKee

"Genius? Not!" wrote in message
. ..
I've got an 18 foot boat. And I'm new to boating. So I've got a million
questions. And probably more to follow those!

I think my day-trip limit, for now, is 2 hours to reach an uncrowded
warm-water lake.

The first thing to come to mind is how far do you like to trailer your
boat for vacations and long weekends?

How far is too far and what's makes your destination too far?

What makes your destination worth the distance?

Marty

Depends on time available and where I want to go. We travel about 135 miles
to out favorite lake, and that takes a little over 3 hours. Is a remote
lake and low speed roads to it. We normally do it for 3 days. Most of my
boating is within 3 hours and 130 miles, but for 4th of July we went to Gold
Beach, OR which is 400 miles and takes at least a day to make the trip.
Since I am semi retired, we make it a 2 day trip with a lake stop in
between. I do have a lot of local areas to boat, 45 minutes to San
Francisco Bay and 1 hr 15 min, 45 miles to the ocean at Pillar Point Harbor.

Genius? Not!

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
k.net...

"Genius? Not!" wrote in message
. ..
I've got an 18 foot boat. And I'm new to boating. So I've got a million
questions. And probably more to follow those!

I think my day-trip limit, for now, is 2 hours to reach an uncrowded
warm-water lake.

The first thing to come to mind is how far do you like to trailer your
boat for vacations and long weekends?

How far is too far and what's makes your destination too far?

What makes your destination worth the distance?

Marty

Depends on time available and where I want to go. We travel about 135
miles to out favorite lake, and that takes a little over 3 hours. Is a
remote lake and low speed roads to it. We normally do it for 3 days.

Care to share? Are you referring to Lake P?

Most of my boating is within 3 hours and 130 miles, but for 4th of July we
went to Gold Beach, OR which is 400 miles and takes at least a day to make
the trip. Since I am semi retired, we make it a 2 day trip with a lake
stop in between. I do have a lot of local areas to boat, 45 minutes to
San Francisco Bay and 1 hr 15 min, 45 miles to the ocean at Pillar Point
Harbor.

Is your boat designed more for ocean or lake?

Marty

gocargo

I trailer it 1/2 mile.
-Brett

Bill McKee

"Genius? Not!" wrote in message
. ..

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
k.net...

"Genius? Not!" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

My boat is a big water version of the aluminum river jetboats. Jet drive,
but 20 degree front and 3" sides as opposed to the flatter front and 22"
sides of the pure river sled. I draw 6" at speed as opposed to the 2" of a
sled. Cherry Lake is our favorite lake. Near Yosemite boundry.

William Andersen

I trailer it 500 yards.
I leave it in a parking lot at the Marina.
I trailer it about 15 miles to Lake San Vicente, a reservoir, for tubing
with the grandchildren.
I take it to Lake Havasu, AZ at least once a year: 400 miles (?)
We used to go to Loughlin (Katherine's Landing) at least once a year.

"gocargo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I trailer it 1/2 mile.
-Brett

Dave Hall

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 03:40:39 GMT, "Genius? Not!"
wrote:

I've got an 18 foot boat. And I'm new to boating. So I've got a million
questions. And probably more to follow those!

I think my day-trip limit, for now, is 2 hours to reach an uncrowded
warm-water lake.

The first thing to come to mind is how far do you like to trailer your boat
for vacations and long weekends?

How far is too far and what's makes your destination too far?

What makes your destination worth the distance?

Marty

I travel about 135 miles to go boating. I trailer about 500 feet from
my mom's house to my sisters' private ramp into the Ohio River. No
docking fees (use one of my sisters' docks), no storage fees (use
mom's carport for the boat and garage for the jetski), no lines for
the ramp, hell I don't even have to mow the grass or clean up after
the spring floods. Sometimes life is good.

The Other Dave Hall

William Andersen

I always use the same tow vehicle, so I keep a fanny pack in it with the
boat keys and a fishing style wallet with compartments for fishing, boat and
trailer licenses. I also have the member card from BoatUS, assorted change
and bills, and a clean handkerchief in it. That way, I'll always have what I
need when I go to the boat, even if just to work on it in the lot for the
day.
Oh, I always keep some bottled water and snacks on the boat, too.

"Gudmundur" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

I've got an 18 foot boat. And I'm new to boating. So I've got a million
questions. And probably more to follow those!

I think my day-trip limit, for now, is 2 hours to reach an uncrowded
warm-water lake.

The first thing to come to mind is how far do you like to trailer your
boat
for vacations and long weekends?

How far is too far and what's makes your destination too far?

What makes your destination worth the distance?

Marty

My normal travel is about 35 minutes, with the bay about 1.5 hours
away.

My suggestion is that no matter how far you trailer, keep a sharp
watch on your bearing buddies, and install a set if you don't have them.
Be careful about over greasing, as the grease can totally ruin your
brake shoes if it gets out past the rear wheel bearing seal.
I have lost count of the number of times I have seen diabled boat
trailers sitting along the local interstate which leads to the
river area. You can't do much roadside repair on bearings that are
nearly welded fast to the axel from overheat failure.

Oh yes, don't forget to take the keys to the boat!

Don White

Genius? Not! wrote:
I've got an 18 foot boat. And I'm new to boating. So I've got a million
questions. And probably more to follow those!

I think my day-trip limit, for now, is 2 hours to reach an uncrowded
warm-water lake.

The first thing to come to mind is how far do you like to trailer your boat
for vacations and long weekends?

How far is too far and what's makes your destination too far?

What makes your destination worth the distance?

Marty

I'm making plans now to trailer my Sandpiper 565 sailboat 400 km each
way to a beautiful lake/inlet where i have family.
I debated for months and then decided to pass on a regatta for my boat
which would have been a round trip of 4000km. So I guess a days drive
is the fartherest i'd want to trailer at this point.
When I bought my boat I trailered it about 1000km home over two days.