Default Cool boat & travel computer

Larry wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote in
m:

Find me a decent CAD to replace my beloved Design CAD and I'll convert
to Linux. Or a way to run without it (Wine still needs Win).

http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html

Will these do? Sorry the list is so deep....(c;

I'm sure you'll find one of them, maybe the one you're using now, ported to
Linux, directly. You don't need WINE.....

It will take a while to examine everything on that list!

ARCAD 3D ( http://www.arcad.de/ ) looks like it may have the features
(at 165 pounds sterling id better!?)

But most seem to be optimized for some particular type of service.

The true test is how a package handles curves in 3D.
I'm terribly spoiled on cubic splines.

I started out on AutoCAD version 10 (for over $8000!!!)
I didn't like it then - and still don't.
I've seen a few ACAD systems brought up to near the same level
via macros, but those generally don't come with the system.
And none of them have the gravity point select feature from DCad.

Design CAD has been around since the DOS days.
When I found it, I was floored at how much easier it was to use, and
how fast it ran.

But I've not seen anything that indicates any desire on the publisher's
part to port to Unix.

Which is (to my mind) rather short sighted!

http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/O...6/Default.aspx

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

Anyone remember the S100 bus? I worked with Concurrent CPM for a while.

Sure! Kept me poor buying parts to build them for years....(c;

My first was a Southwest Technical Products that had 8 toggle switches for
input and 8 light bulbs for output.....then, some smartass sold me a
TELETYPE interface!

REAL programmers use:

COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE

on DOS machines....(c;

I worked for Bill Godbout at CompuPro back when....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 2008-09-26 13:24:29 -0400, "Capt. JG" said:

Anyone remember the S100 bus? I worked with Concurrent CPM for a while.

I remember it and all the rest mentioned. The first time I saw a
Kaypro, I was in lust: A computer that you could carry as a
self-contained unit!

My dad was an early programmer, starting with "flip the switches" and
ending on an an IBM 360. For my 14th birthday, he took me down to see
his baby, then to the Academy of Music, featuring Dvorak's "New World
Symphony", my absolute favorite piece of music (I played French
horn).... That day is burned indelibly into my brain.

Here it is, 40 years later. Now, the machine I take down to the boat is
more powerful than the fastest supercomputers extant then. Dad's
computer was in a temple of technology; we very nearly had to put on
clean suits to enter the inner sanctum. We toss ours onto a settee
without a thought, slightly worry that it might be dropped a couple of
feet.

The march of tech is scary.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-09-26 13:24:29 -0400, "Capt. JG" said:

[...]

I remember almost buying an Osborne... finally bought one of the first
Compaqs... the luggable.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:28:20 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

If there is one thing this thread reveals, it is our ages.

Did we all walk five miles to school in the snow uphill both ways?

They hadn't yet invented walking.

"Gogarty" wrote in message
If there is one thing this thread reveals, it is our ages.

Did we all walk five miles to school in the snow uphill both ways?

You forgot about the hot potato...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

I worked for Bill Godbout at CompuPro back when....

Wow....That must have been an amazing time.

Travel Trailer AND Boat Berta General 16 September 26th 07 05:24 AM
How far do you trailer / travel with your boat? Genius? Not! General 23 July 28th 05 06:29 PM
Columbus Boat and Travel Show bomar General 1 February 14th 05 04:00 AM
Now here's a cool boat DSK ASA 11 August 8th 04 11:27 PM
Boat For European Travel Rob Smith Cruising 0 July 19th 04 11:55 AM