DSK

Default Now here's a cool boat

http://www.hugohein.com/classic.sail...nook.specs.htm

A Herreshoff NY40... "forty" referring to the waterline length at rest,
of course. scroll down to the bottom and look at the hull out of the
water, can you see the family resemblence to the BB 12 1/2?

BTW I got some early racing lessons on a boat very similar to this, an
old old WW1 era racer that had been converted to a marconi yawl. The
boat would have been approx 30 years newer then!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

SAIL LOCO

Too much work.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message

http://www.hugohein.com/classic.sail...nook.specs.htm

A Herreshoff NY40... "forty" referring to the waterline length at rest,
of course. scroll down to the bottom and look at the hull out of the
water, can you see the family resemblence to the BB 12 1/2?

A way kewl boat. One can only hope someone will purchase her and bring her
back to her prime. The price isn't cheap.

Max

katysails

Cool boat...a lot of work....I'd put some toe rails on her myself....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004, DSK wrote:

http://www.hugohein.com/classic.sail...nook.specs.htm

A Herreshoff NY40... "forty" referring to the waterline length at rest,
of course. scroll down to the bottom and look at the hull out of the
water, can you see the family resemblence to the BB 12 1/2?

BTW I got some early racing lessons on a boat very similar to this, an
old old WW1 era racer that had been converted to a marconi yawl. The
boat would have been approx 30 years newer then!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

It is indeed beautiful, from a sailboat lover's perspective, but one
nevertheless might wonder what the actual "sail away" perspective cost
probably will be (not that a purchaser of this sort of boat
necessarily would care about cost per se). Anyway, the cited web page
appears basically to be an advertisement for (in U.S. dollars terms)
an asking price of about $404,000 for a wooden boat with sails in only
"fair to good" shape (one of which is said to need recutting "to fit
properly"), with an engine which (even if apparently at least arguably
adequate) that is not comparable in power output to those on more
modern boats, and very few electronics compared to what also is now
commonly found even on many production boats of lesser size and
complexity. And re. the "complexity" Thing: while this, too,
necessarily will matter for all would-be owners, it does not appear to
be designed for anything close to single-handling most participants in
this newsgroup who actually sail seem to take for granted. But it
sure does look great . . . .

Joe

DSK wrote in message .. .
http://www.hugohein.com/classic.sail...nook.specs.htm

A Herreshoff NY40... "forty" referring to the waterline length at rest,
of course. scroll down to the bottom and look at the hull out of the
water, can you see the family resemblence to the BB 12 1/2?

BTW I got some early racing lessons on a boat very similar to this, an
old old WW1 era racer that had been converted to a marconi yawl. The
boat would have been approx 30 years newer then!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Nice!

Love thoses clean clear decks, nothing to stub your toes on.

Joe
Bart Senior

There is one of these in Norwalk, near where I hauled
my boat.

"katysails" wrote

Cool boat...a lot of work....I'd put some toe rails on her myself....

Bart Senior

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004, DSK wrote:

It is indeed beautiful, from a sailboat lover's perspective, but one
nevertheless might wonder what the actual "sail away" perspective cost

I don't like the sloping deck. I think it would tend to funnel water
back to the cockpit.

Horvath

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 23:22:52 GMT, "Bart Senior"
wrote this crap:

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004, DSK wrote:

It is indeed beautiful, from a sailboat lover's perspective, but one
nevertheless might wonder what the actual "sail away" perspective cost

I don't like the sloping deck. I think it would tend to funnel water
back to the cockpit.

Now let's watch Jon-boy make some gay comment about the cockpit.