Default Skip on the move

Just looked at Skip's spot log. He's left the anchorage inside Coecles
Harbor on Shelter Island and appears to be headed back towards the
LIS. Via Email, he had mentioned going to Three Mile harbor while out
between the forks, but apparently he has changed his plans. I advised
him earlier via email that he needs to find a well protected anchorage
with good holding before Saturday, when Hanna's remnants will be
passing through. Where he just left would have been ideal. Three Mile
Harbor would have been good as well.

His immediate problem may be that he is about to try transiting Plum
Gut against an outgoing tide. He'll be up against as much as 5 knots
of opposing current and depending on wind, he may encounter an 8 foot
standing wave that he will have to sail through. Plum Gut can be
pretty easy if you do it during slack tide. Second best would be
having the tide pushing you through. He picked the worst option.
Hopefully there is almost no wind there when he arrives and he can
motor through (slowly) without issues. It will also be quite a
"washing machine". Moreso if the wind is opposing.

Wonder where he's headed?

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 13:31:44 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Well, Skip is sailing a weird course. It's beginning to look like the
diagram of a complex math problem. Sort of like he's hunting around
for something that he can't find. Does anyone know if Skip has good
local charts for the area between the forks of Long Island? I'm
beginning to wonder, as he also mentioned to me that he was unable to
find Greenport a few days ago. He also calls things by strange names
that are not on the charts. If he lacks charts for the area, that
would explain a lot.

Maybe he's trying to fond Greenport again. If he is trying to find
Three Mile Harbor, he's gone in the wrong direction, completely. Or,
maybe he's just sailing around seeing the sights and will head back to
Coecles Harbor for the night. It's interesting following the spot
track as he zigs and zags.

wrote in message
[...]

He's probably hooked up his GameBoy to his autopilot by mistake . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sep 4, 11:09*am, wrote:
Well, Skip is sailing a weird course. It's beginning to look like the
diagram of a complex math problem....

If the weather is nice maybe he's just gone out for a day sail... In
any case given Skip's propensity for reporting we're unlikely to be
left guessing for long

-- Tom.

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 11:40:29 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 4, 11:09*am, wrote:
Well, Skip is sailing a weird course. It's beginning to look like the
diagram of a complex math problem....

If the weather is nice maybe he's just gone out for a day sail... In
any case given Skip's propensity for reporting we're unlikely to be
left guessing for long

-- Tom.

It now looks like he is headed over towards Greenport or Dering
Harbor. Greenport would be an interesting stop for them. Nice place to
walk around.

I'm sure we'll get a F- U - L- L report. G

.... I just checked and the new position shows him entering Sterling
Basin, which is next to Greenport. I hope he hasn't mistaken Greenport
Dock Marine for the Greeport Town Dock, which I mentioned to him.
Greenport Dock Marine builds docks. The Town Dock is way over on the
other side of Greenport from Sterling Basin.

There aren't any "inexpensive" options in Sterling Basin.

I'll hold off hitting send on this post for a few minutes to see if
the track updates again.

3:03 PM - He's headed back out of Sterling.

Round and round and round he goes... where he stops, nobody knows!

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 13:31:44 -0400, wrote:

Wonder where he's headed?

Looks to me like he tacked into Greenport Harbor against a shifty
westerly.

Kind of fun these SPOT's, are they not?

I was kind of surprised to return from my last cruise and not find any
comments about my track although friends and family enjoyed being able to
follow along immensely.

I sent an OK just after anchoring each night to fix the position and then
shut the unit down until morning, turning it on again just before leaving.
Skip often seems to leave his on all night. They are pretty good on
batteries. Mine's still on the first set I put in just after I bought it.

--
Roger Long

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 15:18:01 -0400, jeff wrote:

wrote:

Well, Skip is sailing a weird course. It's beginning to look like the
diagram of a complex math problem.

Maybe he's just out for a daysail to nowhere. Stranger things have
happened!

How can we join the fun and track Skip?

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...PLcZGvSb3 nMe

It's sometimes a little unsettling. The track goes point-to-point, and
occasionally it appears he has sailed across land where it juts out.

He was at his last anchorage for a few days, so I think he's looking
for somewhere new to anchor.

I'm headed for MY boat now, so I'll have to check later when I get
home to see where he ends up.

Skip v. Joe: Who is the best captain? Bob ASA 4 February 22nd 08 05:24 PM
Skip and Lydia ? Wayne.B Cruising 12 December 13th 07 04:39 AM
Hey Skip..... Wut up? Bob Cruising 2 November 19th 07 02:20 PM
Where is Skip and the Flying Pig? [email protected] Cruising 83 September 30th 07 03:52 AM
Yo,, Skip .. your off the hook ... NE Sailboat Cruising 2 April 7th 07 03:34 AM