Default Skip on the move

On Sep 6, 9:24 am, Justin C wrote:
I looked at Sailmail, looks complicated, and what sort of range do you
get? ...

From time to time HF radio signals travel right around the world. In
practice sailmail and winlink have worldwide coverage and with voice
nets with relays it is unusual to drop a boat with working gear during
a scheduled net. I would be nice if the guy who gives us the airmail
software would port it to *nix but since he does the work for free in
his spare time it is hard to complain.

-- Tom.

wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 09:57:48 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I think Justin meant vicariously enjoying real cruises. We all know you
are
"out there" but I think he meant it in the nautical sense.

good one.

Neal is definitely out to sea.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 16:24:44 -0000, Justin C
wrote:

I looked at Sailmail, looks complicated, and what sort of range do you
get? Major down-side for both Winlink and Sailmail for me a Windows.

Like all HF radio it depends on the sun spot cycle, conditions in the
ionosphere and time of day. Typically 1,000 to 2,000 miles is quite
doable with a little patience, sometimes a great deal more.

AFAIK the Winlink and Sailmail clients are Windows only, not that bad
in my experience. I use Win2K on all my boat laptops and they never
crash.

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 11:37:05 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Wayne, is the map in this implementation always so squirrelly?

Wait for it to finish loading, takes a minute or so. Once it stops

Skip v. Joe: Who is the best captain? Bob ASA 4 February 22nd 08 05:24 PM
Skip and Lydia ? Wayne.B Cruising 12 December 13th 07 04:39 AM
Hey Skip..... Wut up? Bob Cruising 2 November 19th 07 02:20 PM
Where is Skip and the Flying Pig? [email protected] Cruising 83 September 30th 07 03:52 AM
Yo,, Skip .. your off the hook ... NE Sailboat Cruising 2 April 7th 07 03:34 AM