Default Yo,, Skip .. your off the hook ...

Greek Cruise Ship Sinks

ATHENS, Greece (AP) - A Greek cruise ship that struck a volcanic reef and
forced the evacuation of hundreds of tourists sank on Friday, 15 hours after
it began taking on water off the coast of a Mediterranean island. The Sea
Diamond struck rocks in the sea-filled crater formed by a volcanic eruption
3,500 years ago. Tourists gathered on clifftop towns and villages to watch
the rescue.
"We realized there was a serious problem ... We exited our cabin and it was
tough to be able to walk out of the ship. A lot of people were very
emotional over it, upset, very frightened," said Stephen Johnson, a Canadian
passenger.

An Australian passenger, Katie Sumner, said the early stages of the rescue
were chaotic.

"We heard a big shudder and then the whole boat started to tilt," Sumner
said.

"All of our glasses were sliding everywhere and our warning that the ship
was sinking was some of the staff running down the corridor screaming out
'life jackets' and banging on doors, so we got no time to, sort of, get
ready or anything, we just left as we were."

The 469-foot Sea Diamond was operated by Louis Cruise Lines, part of a
Cyprus-based tourism group. The Merchant Marine Ministry said 1,195
passengers and 391 crew members were on board.

"Whoever is responsible for this will be held accountable in the strictest
way," Petralia said. "Greece is a major tourism destination and incidents
like this must not be allowed to occur. ... Authorities handled the rescue
very well."

Most of the rescued passengers arrived at Athens' main port of Piraeus
Friday on a chartered ferry and a Louis cruise ship.

Authorities on Santorini said they were working to contain a small oil
spillage from the sunken ship.

The Sea Diamond's captain and three officers were being interviewed Friday
by coast guard investigators who flew to Santorini.

More than 300 rescued passengers arrived at Athens' main port of Piraeus
early Friday on a chartered ferry, and more were due to arrive later in the
day on another Louis cruise ship.

The Sea Diamond was built in 1986 and refurbished in 1999.

On Apr 6, 11:52 am, Gogarty wrote:
In article PauRh.26$jS1.9@trndny07, says...

Greek Cruise Ship Sinks

ATHENS, Greece (AP) - A Greek cruise ship that struck a volcanic reef and
forced the evacuation of hundreds of tourists sank on Friday, 15 hours after
it began taking on water off the coast of a Mediterranean island. The Sea
Diamond struck rocks in the sea-filled crater formed by a volcanic eruption
3,500 years ago. Tourists gathered on clifftop towns and villages to watch
the rescue.
"We realized there was a serious problem ... We exited our cabin and it was
tough to be able to walk out of the ship. A lot of people were very
emotional over it, upset, very frightened," said Stephen Johnson, a Canadian
passenger.

(Snip)

Weird! Must have ripped the bottom clean out of her if they could not save her
in all that time. Every once in awhile we need a reminder that the sea is an
unforgiving place regardless of the size of the vessel and that even those
floating hotels are not, in fact, hotels. Did you notice the hordes of
inflated liferafts standing by like spectators as she went down? I wonder what
will become of them?.

follow the money trail on this one folks; its gonna be fun to see who
retires and who gets a big bank account.

Gogarty wrote in
:

Did you notice the hordes of
inflated liferafts standing by like spectators as she went down? I
wonder what will become of them?.

Should have inflated them belowdecks to keep her afloat!...(c;

Larry

Fwd: Subject: [TheDingyDock] Skip and Lydia Gundlach need help Len Cruising 26 February 8th 07 09:02 PM
Fwd: Subject: [TheDingyDock] Skip and Lydia Gundlach need help Len Electronics 1 February 8th 07 12:57 AM
Update to Skip and Lydia's most excellent adventure Skip Gundlach Cruising 0 September 23rd 06 01:36 AM
Sail hook Frayed Knots Boat Building 3 February 7th 06 08:49 PM
Hook flipper JohnH General 1 January 8th 06 03:16 PM