[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Skip on the move

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 14:18:32 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 13:31:44 -0400, wrote:

Just looked at Skip's spot log. He's left the anchorage inside Coecles
Harbor on Shelter Island and appears to be headed back towards the
LIS. Via Email, he had mentioned going to Three Mile harbor while out
between the forks, but apparently he has changed his plans. I advised
him earlier via email that he needs to find a well protected anchorage
with good holding before Saturday, when Hanna's remnants will be
passing through. Where he just left would have been ideal. Three Mile
Harbor would have been good as well.

His immediate problem may be that he is about to try transiting Plum
Gut against an outgoing tide. He'll be up against as much as 5 knots
of opposing current and depending on wind, he may encounter an 8 foot
standing wave that he will have to sail through. Plum Gut can be
pretty easy if you do it during slack tide. Second best would be
having the tide pushing you through. He picked the worst option.
Hopefully there is almost no wind there when he arrives and he can
motor through (slowly) without issues. It will also be quite a
"washing machine". Moreso if the wind is opposing.

Wonder where he's headed?

Well, Skip is sailing a weird course. It's beginning to look like the
diagram of a complex math problem. Sort of like he's hunting around
for something that he can't find. Does anyone know if Skip has good
local charts for the area between the forks of Long Island? I'm
beginning to wonder, as he also mentioned to me that he was unable to
find Greenport a few days ago. He also calls things by strange names
that are not on the charts. If he lacks charts for the area, that
would explain a lot.

Maybe he's trying to fond Greenport again. If he is trying to find
Three Mile Harbor, he's gone in the wrong direction, completely. Or,
maybe he's just sailing around seeing the sights and will head back to
Coecles Harbor for the night. It's interesting following the spot
track as he zigs and zags.

He's probably hooked up his GameBoy to his autopilot by mistake . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

funny.