Peggie Hall

Default Getting hosed

Skip, you got good advice from JPS and Glenn. SeaLand "OdorSafe" and the
Aussie "Odorfree" hose have proven in independent testing to be 16 x
more resistant to odor permation than any other sanitation hose on the
market. It's stiff as an ironing board, though...which means you'll
most likely need to use inline radius fittings. Don't ever heat ANY hose
to bend it tighter than it wants to bend easily...you'll damage the
hose. I've seen it kink, and even develop tears on the outside of a hard
bend.

The Sealand "Odorsafe" hose is actually from an Aussie company, its real
product name is AVS96. There may be other companies distributing this
hose in the states since I believe they've started to manufacture it
here.

They haven't begun mfr'g it here, only distributing it under their own
brand name. For nearly 10 years, SeaLand was the exclusive US
distributer...they private labelled it "OdorSafe." I don't have the
inside skinny (yet) about why that deal is over, but the Aussies aren't
selling it to SeaLand any more at all...they're marketing it here under
their own brand name "AVS96 Odorfree." Here's a link to the Aussies'
website about it: http://www.aussieglobe.com/avs96.htm

Meanwhile, SeaLand has just introduced "OdorSafe Plus," which they claim
is even better and is made in Italy. Price is the about the same for it
as for original OdorSafe/AVS96. I haven't seen any test results on it
yet, so I'm taking a "wait and see" stance for now. But I do know that
the AVS96 stuff is all but totally impervious to odor permeation...it's
readily available here...and that's what I'd use if it were my own boat.

--
Peggie
----------

jps

In article kXYec.669$uF3.447@lakeread04, says...
148 is recommended for grey water and as a bilge hose but it will not
stand up to odor permiation in toilet applications. 144 is somewhat
better but not much. 101 is the standard black water hose and Sealand's
Odorsafe is the best.

You don't need a whole lot. I talked to Ed McKunen, president of
Sealand (and not my favorite person) about it. We recommend making your
longer runs in Schedule 40 PVC with short lengths of Odorsafe to absorb
vibration and movement.

Completely agree.

Here's more info an schedule 40 and pvc from a learned TWL subscriber:

"From my experience of designing plumbing systems for industy and
commercial applications, I would opt for using PVC over ABS. There are
some necessary precautions that should be taken. First of all, use
schedule 40 PVC and not the thin DWV (drain waste vent) pipe. Secondly,
if using the DWV fittings which have a larger radius, make sure that
they have the long sockets to allow as much glued area as possible.
Third, do not clamp near a fitting but rather allow the pipe absorb any
flex rather than the fitting. BTW, our industrial applications were
subject to considerably more vibration and flexing than I have ever seen
on our boat. PVC pipe is not brittle unless exposed to UV rays from
sunlight. I have seen some suppliers store it outside and that pipe
could be already brittle when purchased.

A couple of other notes, PVC pipe can be bent with the application of
heat to meet any special situations. Another thought would be to use
scdl 40 PVC electrical conduit. This is gray in color, UV protected,
and there are a number of sweep elbows available."

jps

Cindy Ballreich

Peggie Hall wrote:
It's stiff as an ironing board, though...which means you'll
most likely need to use inline radius fittings.

Peggie,

What are "inline radius fittings"? I haven't heard of these
before. Do you have a url for these on the web? (I did a quick
search and didn't find anything.)

Cindy

--
the return email is a spam trap
send legit emails to cindy_at_ballreich_dot_net

Peggie Hall

What are "inline radius fittings"? I haven't heard of these before. Do
you have a url for these on the web? (I did a quick search and didn't
find anything.)

Try he http://www.sealandservices.com/hose_fittings.htm Scroll down
till you come to the fittings.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Keith

Powerboat Reports tested all the major sanitation hoses and Sealand's
Odorsafe came out far above the rest. It has a layer of something like Saran
wrap co-extruded in the hose to make it a lot more resistant to permeation.
I replaced all the hoses that came with my 16 year old boat with it. Not a
problem ever since, and I don't expect any for a long time.

Now, if you're really on a budget, get whatever sanitation hose you can
afford, and wrap it with Saran wrap.

--

Keith
__

basic
types of sanitation hose.

Both claim the same purpose (keep the stuff and the odor inside while on

the
way outside), but there's one which is 3x the price of the other.

What's the difference, other than the obvious price? Easier to use?

Won't
let the odor/seep through, ever, vs some number of years? Stays whiter in
more conditions?

The difference, in boat money terms, is pretty insignificant, I'd say

(some
couple-three hundred bux for the standard 50' roll), but if it's not

needed,
I can use that couple-three somewhere else.

Anybody used both (e.g. "148" vs "Sealand") who can give experiential

input?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2

--
"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize

MMC

Thanks for the clarification Peggy. I'll check the ratings on the hot tub
hose and let you know what I come up with.
I would imagine that if I can get the manufacturers part #s at the hardware
store, I could compare with #s on marine hose.
MMC
"Peggie Hall" wrote in message

MMC wrote:
I saw hose that looked
suspiciously like marine sanitation hose in my neighborhood hardware

store
the other day and when I asked the salesman about it he said it was hot

tub
hose. Don't remember the actual price, but it was enough of a difference

convince me to try it next time.

You'll be sorry. Not all white flexible pvc hose is created equal...and
hot tub hose is not rated for sanitation system use, only for water use.
It'll permeate with odor very quickly.

I've also found tygon (sp?) tubing with the colored reinforcements and

all
at a farm supply for alot less than boat store people sell it for.

That may be ok, but if it'll be connected to any below-waterline
thru-hulls, make sure it's a grade that's rated for below-waterline use.

Flex hoses are like hard PVC in that they have "schedule" #s...schedule
148, 144 and 101 are rated for sanitation use...I'm not sure what the
"schedules" are for clear hose, but they also use a standardized system
that will tell you which hoses are rated for below waterline use and
which ones aren't.
--
Peggie

Getting hosed Skip Gundlach General 18 April 27th 04 06:14 PM
Getting hosed Skip Gundlach Boat Building 28 April 27th 04 06:14 PM