Default headsail furlers -the good, the bad and the ugly...sound off!

like the header sez...

On Aug 8, 9:58 pm, mister b wrote:
like the header sez...

I like my CDI. I installed it myself twice. A couple of months ago I
took it off to tighten the headstay and am about to put it back on.

Since it is harder to change headsails with a roller rig, I've found that
sail plan and size is more important than I've heard discussed.

My E32 came with big 150% Genoa on the theory that it would do everything.
The problem was that, when rolled up to the size appropriate for the typical
strong wind, it lost too much shape and had too much bulk rolled on the head
stay for the boat to go to windward well. I therefore had to carry a
working jib in case I was ever faced with a long beat to windward and go
through the whole swapping routine. Changing headsails on a roller rig is
harder not just because of the foil set up but because a "do everything"
roller Genoa has to be of heavier cloth to stand up to the strains when
reefed and the rolling. Add luff foam and leach sun cover and It makes for
a big bulky sail bag and hard work bagging on the foredeck.

I had my new headsail built last winter cut to 135% size with a very high
clew. The latter feature makes sailing in congested waters vastly more
enjoyable and safer at a performance penalty I would only notice in a race
with an identical boat. The area reduction means that the sail will still
have decent shape when reefed down to size for 20 - 25 knot winds. I really
haven't noticed any performance difference with the full sail plan that I
can tie to the reduction in overlap.

I no longer carry the working jib although I will put it back on board for
any long trips that might involved long beats in 25 knot plus winds. I used
to change jibs a couple times a month as different weather systems went
through but, no more.

The E32 is a bit on the tender side so these sizes are not a guide to all
boats. If you are ordering a new roller headsail, figure out the jib size
for winds in the low 20's and tell your sailmaker to make the full size such
that you will still have decent shape when rolled down that amount.

--
Roger Long

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 20:58:34 -0500, mister b wrote:

like the header sez...

I have a Harken, and it has been completely reliable and trouble-free
for over 10 years.

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 06:26:39 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:

Another vote for CDI.
OH! WHAT SIZE BOAT?

Hinterhoeller HR28

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 06:06:35 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

[...]

Kappa Sails in Westbrook Connecticut makes an excellent "reefable"
genoa. Two different progressive weights in one sail. A 135 that can
roll down to a well shaped 100. If my present sails were not in such
good shape, I'd have one. I have a main from him, and it's a thing of
geat beauty.

Do downhauls count?

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 06:06:35 -0400, Roger Long wrote:

Since it is harder to change headsails with a roller rig, I've found
that sail plan and size is more important than I've heard discussed.

My E32 came with big 150% Genoa on the theory that it would do
everything. The problem was that, when rolled up to the size appropriate
for the typical strong wind, it lost too much shape and had too much
bulk rolled on the head stay for the boat to go to windward well.

the guy down the dock has a Jeppeson x-102 with a 135% on a Harken
roller...he's been sailing longer than I've been alive...where we sail,
daytime heating and funneling in the bay produce regular conditions of
20kts+ steady, with frequent gusting in the 30-40kt range...he solos so
in these times, he'll drop his main and roll the jib way in well below
100%...his boat still moves well to windward...so I'm confused about the
claims of poor shape/performance when rolled way in...he says it's BS and
has the empirical evidence at hand...I guess it depends on context.

If you are ordering a new roller headsail, figure out the
jib size for winds in the low 20's and tell your sailmaker to make the
full size such that you will still have decent shape when rolled down
that amount.

Seems reasonable...I've bought a 3yr. old 135% that I want to get cut to
fit a roller. I've found out the hard way that a 135% is just too much
sail for my sailing grounds...every day around noon the big guy in the
sky pushes the blow-like-stink button and getting that hanked-on sail
changed is getting too exciting for the admiral!