Default Soul searching about a sailor in trouble

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 05:13:26 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

Larry, sorry I can't agree. when I lived in Maine I met a lobsterman -
81 years old and still fishing every day except Sunday. Had you told
Capt. Carter he was too old to fish he'd have laughed at you.

All these examples are quite admirable, but are the exceptions, not the old
goats walking the docks at your local marinas....to the peril of those who
must come retrieve them, exhausted and infirmed and unable to continue...or
worse....in that storm offshore when they've just pushed it too far one
more time.

We don't allow the blind to drive a car down the Interstate.....

Why do we allow the blind to drive a massive boat, just because he can
afford it?

I know some really nice people who have no business leaving the docks.

The point is that a blanket condemnation is not accurate. To true that
there are incompetents running boats who shouldn't but equally true is
that there are competent individuals, of the same age, doing the same
thing.

Heck, from your sea stories you must be approaching the magic age. If
you are going to get all brown and wizened and turn useless at 60 then
how about sending me your dual trace scope. And, I'll take the old
Mercedes Diesel too.... do try to get it overhauled though, before you
pass the old fellow's mark.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:18:42 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

use he can
afford it?

I know some really nice people who have no business leaving the docks.

We allow disabled people who can't get a regular drivers license to drive
big rigs....

You also allow disabled people to become president - Roosevelt as well
as the mentally unstable -

seriously though, I can understand and agree with Larry's point.
Perhaps if you are going to legislate, then you can have an exceptions
clause whereby two knowledgeables can attest to one's ability

cheers
Peter

wrote:

We allow disabled people who can't get a regular drivers license to drive
big rigs...

Cite?

Casady

wrote:

We allow disabled people who can't get a regular drivers license to drive
big rigs...

Cite?

Casady

ABC News.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:18:42 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
. ..
Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

[...]

If you need eyeglasses to drive you can't get a regular license. Is
that what you mean?

Casady

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:18:42 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
.. .
Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

[...]

No... they sometimes have heart conditions, epilepsy, stuff like that.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 13:31:12 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

wrote:

We allow disabled people who can't get a regular drivers license to drive
big rigs....

If you need eyeglasses to drive you can't get a regular license. Is
that what you mean?

Google up truck chicago chinatown 2 killed.
A bunch were injured too. This guy was obviously disabled.
Even forgot to pick up his load. Off his meds or on the wrong ones or
something.
I know a trucker who collapsed on the road, was luckily able to pull
over, had a quadruple bypass to fix the heart condition that made him
collapse, qualified for total disability, but went back to driving.
They don't monitor truckers like air crew, and the regs/enforcement
are laughable.

--Vic

You just haven't got it yet, have you Vic?

The reason that such monitoring is so lacking is that the motorcar is
a religious device and political weapon in the USA. Henry Ford and
those manufacturers who came later were heavily subsidised by the
forerunner of the CIA. The technology was made desirable and along
with Coca-Cola (another CIA subsidised business) was exported to other
countries in order that they be made dependent on the internal
combustion engine. This allowed the fuel companies (which I believe
currently benefit for Government support or subsidy in the US) to
extract vast sums of wealth for supplying the fuel. Then, when the
entire world was addicted, they could impact upon country's economies
at will just by restricting or increasing supply at will.

That car ownership is akin to a religious cult is obvious. People pay
a fortune to own something they cannot sensibly afford, they are
intensely passionate about them as well as about their driving ability
- road rage for one and they are a part of every male's manhood.

That's my contribution to conspiracy theories.

A friend recently told me that his company was instituting random drug
tests for their truck drivers in Sydney as several have been found to
take drugs. One was even discovered driving past a gate house watching
a video.

cheers
Peter