Default Soul searching about a sailor in trouble

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:47:17 -0700, Dan Best
wrote:

Hopefully, someday we'll find ourselves in the same anchorage and we can
meet face to face and enjoy a sunset and some sushi together.

I was with you until you said "sushi."

--Vic

wrote:

Hopefully, someday we'll find ourselves in the same anchorage and we can
meet face to face and enjoy a sunset and some sushi together.

I was with you until you said "sushi."

--Vic

He was trolling... oops.. sorry for the intended pun.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:

Hopefully, someday we'll find ourselves in the same anchorage and we can
meet face to face and enjoy a sunset and some sushi together.

I was with you until you said "sushi."

--Vic

I agree too. But, there's nothing wrong with sushi....as long as you
cook it right :-)

Keith
MMC MMC is offline

"Thomas Flores" wrote in message

If you have doubts, then check it out. Nature is not kind and if you tend
to feel responsible for another man's actions then by all means.

Would you check out the obvious in this video if that person was alone far
offshore?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLNx2N0E8zw

I'd offer assistance to the "red jib" guy and wonder how he'd gotten that
far in the first place. I'd imagine that, unless he was impaired, he be
tired of drifting and happy to take any help he could get.
Merlin

I see you use a portabote as a dinghy. What are your thoughts on it?
Thanks
Gordon

Default Porta-Bote - was: Soul searching about a sailor in trouble

Gordon wrote:
I see you use a portabote as a dinghy. What are your thoughts on it?
Thanks
Gordon

Gordon,
Dinghies are like religion. Everyone's got an opinion and they are all
passionate about them. I don't want to start another flame war with
everybody defending their favorite, but since you asked, here's a repost
of a detailed response I made to someone else on this subject a few
months ago.

------

We used to use a 10' Avon inflatable and in fact, still have the Avon,
but haven't used it since we got the 12' Porta-Bote in 2001. About a
year and a half ago, we completed a 2 year cruise which took us from SF
bay area down to Mexico, up into the Sea of Cortez, on down the mainland
coast of Mexico, to El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, The
Galapagos, Polynesia, Tonga, then back up to Hawaii, and finally back to
the SF bay area. In all that time, we spent a total of 3 days in a
marina in San Diego during final provisioning and another 3 days in a
marina in Hawaii, doing some work on the boat before crossing back over
to California. The rest of that time, we anchored out.

I relate the above just to validate the fact that we relied on our
dinghy on a daily basis to get us back and forth from shore, to take
excursions on and to dive from for an extended period of time.

The Porta-Bote isn't for everybody and it has it's weak points, but on
the whole, it works very well for us. "Us" is a husband and wife in our
mid-50's. I'm a big guy (6'3" 275 lbs) and my wife is about 5'8 & while
I won't say her weight, she's not what anyone would call skinny. I
should also note that for a month in Tonga, we also had our son and his
girlfriend with us and the 4 of us had no problem using the 12' Porta.

Good points:
- Ruggedness. We never worry about it rubbing against barnacles or
sharp rocks. The worst of that leaves cosmetic scratches, but nothing
more. I think everybody with inflatables that we ran into eventually
had some kind of problem (seams, valves, punctures, etc.). Porta-Bote
users never had to pump up their dinghies in the morning to get them hard.

- Easy of use. One person can deploy or restore it, but it's lots
faster with 2, so we almost almost always did it together. From stored
on deck to in the water with the outboard on and ready to go is maybe 10
minutes without rushing. Noticeably faster than pumping up the Avon. We
literally spend almost as much time getting the outboard off the stern
rail and onto the Porta as we do assembling the Porta. It's light
enough that when recovering it, we tie the bow line to the spinnaker
halyard and I hoist it up out of the water and aboard without using a
winch while Kathryn guides it into position on the foredeck for
disassembly. Launching it after assembling it on the foredeck consists
of just dumping it over the side. It also tows nicely. In fair
weather, we would rarely bring it up on deck unless we were going to be
out overnight.

-It stows easily. As you can see in the photo, we stowed ours
horizontally on top of the coach roof. Others stowed it along the rail.
http://home.comcast.net/~triciajean1...1-05-04-07.JPG

-It rows easily and straight. If you've ever rowed an inflatable,
you'll know how nice this is. A few owners never use an outboard (most
do though).

-Faster with the same horsepower. It is much, much faster than our Avon
with the same outboard. We started our trip with a 3hp which would
plane when there was just one of us aboard. It was giving us some grief
(hard to start sometimes), so we replaced it with a 6HP, 4 stroke while
we were in Zihuatanejo. It now jumps up onto a fast plane with both of
us + groceries, etc. aboard and absolutely flies when there is just one
of us.

-Capacity. Compared to an inflatable of equivalent length, you can put
a lot more grocery bags or other gear into it since you don't have those
big, fat tubes taking up so much of your volume.

-I never heard of a Porta being stolen. Quite a number of inflatables were.

-Cheaper by far. We paid $950 on Ebay for our 12' Porta-Bote with
accessories in like new condition.

-There are probably more good points, but that's what came to mind.

OK, now for what you've been waiting for, the bad points:

-Weak seats. They've redesigned them since we got ours and the company
says their better, but the ones that came with ours and the other Portas
we ran across didn't make it through the first year of continuous use. I
don't know if it was the UV exposure or what, but the stainless support
pieces would push up through the bottom of the plastic seats. We had
some wooden ones made (2 in La Paz and the 3rd in El Salvador) and liked
them a whole lot better than those plastic ones. Stronger, look like
they are going to last forever and since we painted them white, they're
a lot more comfortable to sit on than the black plastic ones after
they've been sitting in the tropical sun for awhile. The only down side
is that they don't have the built in flotation like the plastic ones
did. Before we go out again, I'll have added it to them.

-Crappy oars. One plastic blade broke and the fittings rusted badly. We
replaced them with these on a trip back up to the States and were very
happy with them.
http://images.westmarine.com/full/adjoar2004.jpg
and
http://images.westmarine.com/full/d07944_f.jpg

-The black pipe protecting the keel hinge detached in the middle on 2 of
the Botes that belonged to others, though it never happened to us. This
was not debilitating, just ugly.

-Not nearly as much flotation as an inflatable. DUH! If it ever did
get swamped, it would be harder to unswamp. Realistically though, the
only way you are going to swamp one of these puppies is in the surf
(happened to me once - I got thrown sideways and then the next wave
rolled me) and where there's one wave breaking, there are lots more
behind it. If you swamp any dinghy in the surf, the only way you are
going to get it unswamped is to jump out and drag it up out of the surf.

As far as size goes, I'd get the largest that you can easily stow up to
the 12' model (I understand that the 14' one is substantially heaver
than the others). We knew one boat with an 8', a few with the 10' and
we had the 12'. The 8' seemed a bit small to me. Fine for 2 people,
but it gets crowded quickly when you start adding more.

For what it's worth, none of the Porta owners we ran across regretted
their decision and wanted to go back to an inflatable. Lots of the
inflatable owners were unhappy with their dinghies. Also, whatever you
do, don't get a PVC dinghy if you are headed for the tropics. They just
don't hold up down there. If you do decide to get an inflatable, get a
hypalon one.

--
Dan Best - (559) 970-9858, Fresno, CA 93704
B-2/75 1977-1979

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:09:32 +0000, Larry wrote:

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

The paper reports that it was the
third time he had required assistance in 36 hours so I don't feel
quite so bad about checking him out. If the USCG didn't notice
something wrong the first two times, I probably wouldn't have been
able to justify getting them involved just by making a close pass.

CG screwed up. They should have confiscated his boat on the 2ND call and
put him before a judge to have his competency tested by a shrink.

Of course, we COULD have some SANE laws that says NOONE OVER 60 SAILS
ALONE......which is fairly obvious, but we'd rather risk CG sailor's lives
than screw with the elite's right to be stupid.

I'm 62. I don't give a **** how "fit" a 60-year-old is, in his
mind....Jack La Lane shouldn't be out sailing alone over 60....maybe over
50!

Larry, sorry I can't agree. when I lived in Maine I met a lobsterman -
81 years old and still fishing every day except Sunday. Had you told
Capt. Carter he was too old to fish he'd have laughed at you.

I also knew an 80-something old cruiser who sailed back from Asia the
hard way - head north to Japan and turn right.

Equating age and ability is probably only accurate if you talk about
solely physical attributes. Which sailing hardly requires.

What you don't need is more laws.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

[...]

Hey Larry,
I'm 60. I don't file a voyage plan; I don't tell anyone when to expect
me; I don't expect to get any help if I have a heart attack or similar
and so far I have managed to solve all my difficulties myself.

I do have heath checkups before I leave but fully accept that I may
die of the unpredictable.

I for one would resent any law you suggest. Last night I had dinner
with a 46 year old friend who had a heart attack, though outwardly
healthy looking, at age 42.

I shall continue to sail alone until, or if, I find someone compatible
to sail with.

If you prevent me from doing so I shall likely morph into another
Wilbur and plague your houses via this newsgroup.

regards
Peter

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

Larry, sorry I can't agree. when I lived in Maine I met a lobsterman -
81 years old and still fishing every day except Sunday. Had you told
Capt. Carter he was too old to fish he'd have laughed at you.

All these examples are quite admirable, but are the exceptions, not the old
goats walking the docks at your local marinas....to the peril of those who
must come retrieve them, exhausted and infirmed and unable to continue...or
worse....in that storm offshore when they've just pushed it too far one
more time.

We don't allow the blind to drive a car down the Interstate.....

Why do we allow the blind to drive a massive boat, just because he can
afford it?

I know some really nice people who have no business leaving the docks.

"Larry" wrote in message
Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

Larry, sorry I can't agree. when I lived in Maine I met a lobsterman -
81 years old and still fishing every day except Sunday. Had you told
Capt. Carter he was too old to fish he'd have laughed at you.

All these examples are quite admirable, but are the exceptions, not the
old
goats walking the docks at your local marinas....to the peril of those who
must come retrieve them, exhausted and infirmed and unable to
continue...or
worse....in that storm offshore when they've just pushed it too far one
more time.

We don't allow the blind to drive a car down the Interstate.....

Why do we allow the blind to drive a massive boat, just because he can
afford it?

I know some really nice people who have no business leaving the docks.

We allow disabled people who can't get a regular drivers license to drive
big rigs....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com