Default Power sailor to wind sailor

Ok ive spent my life so far driving around the seas in a boat
independant of the wind. Not only that but way way north of places
sane folks take sail boats in the modern era.
I am Ok at navigations, pretty good at marlin spike seamanship, but
the last time i used a sail was on a homemade pram in Bristlebay AK.
just playing around 15 years ago.

Being an old sailor means i figured out that to make it to codger, i
need to ask some questions and learn from other folks experiances.

how do you transition from power boat to sail?
what habits do i need to unlearn?
what safety habits differ from power to sail?
what am I likely to over look when plotting a course for sail as
opposed to power?
Where are the folks i need to talk to about raising kids on boats?
ports of call and boat yards in the pacific where you can get good
work done cheap?
side band channels to monitor for info and tips?
quick guides to what not to do in various ports?
where to avoid and why?
groups to sail with?
income at sea?
And whole bunches more.
I have the mother of all maritime links, and news groups, etc.
And currently i have time due to a crushed leg.
Thanks in advance.
2MT

Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 14, 7:34 pm, "Two meter troll" wrote:
Ok ive spent my life so far driving around the seas in a boat
independant of the wind. Not only that but way way north of places
sane folks take sail boats in the modern era. Thanks in advance.
2MT

Most people I see or read about here lack any kind sea service. That
is, they dont know squat about how the ocean works. For me, knowing
the how water works is 99.90% of the game... gotta know how water
works. So if ya had that talk with God while in the middle of Unimak
Pass, out Adak wayor some place equally nasty in the black of night I
think yould make a great sailboat operator. How to learn? Go to the
local YMCA or University and take a few lessons on a 12' anything. Or
get a couple how to books......... get a 10'-16' anything with a mast
and go get blown around. When ya can tool around the bay in that 12'
somthing buy yourself a 21'-24' tuppa wear soemthing and sail the ****
out of it. Make sure its cheep and all dinged up. Your gonna add a
few. Should take you about 6-12 months. Tada........ youre a "captain"
now Have FUN!
Bob
Oh, PS good wind sailors are always a bit more nervous looking than
motor boat drivers...........

Bob wrote:
[...]

bin there done that
dinged that broke this
whopped it and whipped the sheet
now buying my new (to me) smacker

... Go to the
local YMCA or University and take a few lessons on a 12' anything. Or
get a couple how to books.........

Unless you've blow out your back or otherwise crippled yourself over
the years in which case learn on a 20sih foot something with a keel.
I made the mistake of sending my girl friend off to the local
community college sailing school where she spent most of her time
watching the EMS folks med-evac broken adults.

Unlike power boats sail boats need nearly constant attention and can't
keep a schedule. You will find the work load higher and the time
between ports extremely variable. Also, be aware that if you are used
to going to sea in a ship you may be surprised at how small and wet a
small boat is out at sea.

These days, with the dollar so weak, the good boat yard deals in the
South Pacific are pretty much gone. You can get excellent work done
in New Zealand or Australia but you will pay a price. There are
functional yards in the Societies, Fiji and New Catalonia.

I don't recommend sailing in company to try to make up for a lack of
ability, but from the West coast there is a "class" each year that
sails in fairly close company to French Polynesia. You might want to
check out the Bahaha and the still closely tied magazine "Latitude
38". For company under way I like the HAM nets, but if you don't have
a HAM license then there are some good marine SSB nets as well.

Good luck!

-- Tom.

dt dt is offline

Two meter troll wrote:

[...]

When you say "the mother of all maritime links", are you referring to
http://www.boat-links.com/ , or something I haven't discovered yet?

Good luck with that leg.

DT

DT yes thats the one.

As for the small boat sailor end of things i was raised on a 30'
salmon troller; and had my own for many years.
I also spent a rather large amount of my time on king crab boats; wet
is not much of a problem.
I actually have a greater worriy about how sail boats handle the seas
and weather.

then i remember i am NOT going to have to slip out past latex rocks
and into the gulf of alaska while a storm is heading down cause i have
a one day blue king opening in six days and we got a late start in
bellingham.

Also another question came up fro those of you who sail north of the
circle. how do you deal with various ice conditions? grease, frazzel,
glass and pancake. if you have a glass boat the frazzel and glass is
gonna cut it to ribbons and the grease ice is just going to stick and
build up. but if you are on wind power how do you heat the hull?

not to worried about lack of ability Tom, more that i will have a wife
and may have a child aboard and would like some folks to visit with.

I would say the biggest difference comes with heavy weather conditions. You
have
to be more aware of changing conditions to do things like get your sail area
reduced
if the wind picks up. For extreme conditions, I would learn about measures to
keep
your boat safe, like lying ahull. You have to be more aware of the depths you
will
go over, since most sailboats have deep keels. Learning how to keep from going
aground and what to do if you are, can be important. Navigation with currents
becomes more important, since your speed is much less than a power boat and you
are exposed to drifts for longer periods. Those are mostly safety issues. Of
course,
you will have to learn more about sail trim, reefing sails, etc. to complete the
picture.
Just don't become one of those sailors I see motoring with a favorable wind with
all
their sails down.

Sherwin D.

Two meter troll wrote:

[...]

Lying ahull?

learning a new language so please bear with me.

The idea behind the sail boat is that i have a better way to go to the
places folks want me and my partner to build and teach. It just makes
more sense for a permiculture teacher and a natrual builder to travel
by wind power than burn up fuel.
(as an aside)
the tiny amount of weight you can carry on an airplane does not make
up my tool boxes.
( it was lucky i could catch a bus to new orleans, at the last second
cause; i sure couldnt put the 300 lbs of hand tools on the plane with
me)

getting away from power boats for me is the point; the screaming jimmy
might be a way to power a boat, but ive always watched the sail boats
fly by quiet and sweet while i made enugh noise to wake the dead. LOL
the speed of a sail boat is not all that slow.. i might have sailed
big boats but i can tell you a crab boat aint fast. the Renigade did 8
knots and the Tempest did 11, the fastest was a streamer in the gulf
of mexico and it did 17.

"Two meter troll" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lying ahull?

Lying ahull is a very old technique for weathering a storm with no sail up.
It's not used much any more, since it doesn't give you any control. A better
technique is heaving to, which leaves sail up and gives you some ability to
maneauver.

The basic technique for heaving to, is to tack from close hauled without
releasing the jib, then ease the main, and lash the tiller to leward or the
wheel to windward. This calms the boat down, and can be used to stop for
lunch, etc.

Here's a long explanation of the various techniques...

http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/ar....html?lid=1284

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Mar 16, 10:48 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Two meter troll" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Lying ahull?

Lying ahull is a very old technique for weathering a storm with no sail up.
It's not used much any more, since it doesn't give you any control. A better
technique is heaving to, which leaves sail up and gives you some ability to
maneauver.

The basic technique for heaving to, is to tack from close hauled without
releasing the jib, then ease the main, and lash the tiller to leward or the
wheel to windward. This calms the boat down, and can be used to stop for
lunch, etc.

Here's a long explanation of the various techniques...

http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/ar....html?lid=1284

--
"j" ganz

"heaving to" is a sea anchor and storm sail and "lying ahull" is
basicly adrift and depending on your boat running fair.

Thanks