Default Power sailor to wind sailor

Thanks all.
im learning a bunch
2MT

Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 20, 4:34 pm, "Two meter troll" wrote:
Thanks all.
im learning a bunch
2MT

From 1943, Chapman's "Piloting, Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling"

uses "Heaving to" to describe .... powerboats .... when engines are
used to keep the bow
into the wind....

hey 2mt i think ya'lled call that "joggin in to it" if my Boaring Sea
and Bristol Bay memory serves me right.
Arggg.... Bob

On Mar 20, 8:57 pm, "Bob" wrote:
On Mar 20, 4:34 pm, "Two meter troll" wrote:

Thanks all.
im learning a bunch
2MT
From 1943, Chapman's "Piloting, Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling"

uses "Heaving to" to describe .... powerboats .... when engines are
used to keep the bow
into the wind....

hey 2mt i think ya'lled call that "joggin in to it" if my Boaring Sea
and Bristol Bay memory serves me right.
Arggg.... Bob

ya i was thinken the same thing and having a memory;

i remember hitting the boring sea slippin out of snowpass past
montgomery island and getting a day or so out (this was while the
weather service had Peggys station) and ran head on into a nasty blow
about 100m se of kodiac on our way to False Pass. Jogging with em in
the smokehole and making 1/2knt for more than a week. thats when i
learned about a weather sail and how to set one on a house aft boat.
pretty much saved our butts; Thank bloody damn i like to have a mixed
age crew. it was a puker who reasioned out how to set a sheet of steel
up to act as a storm sail.
2MT

On Mar 18, 6:12 pm, Jeff wrote:

Thanks for that - very interesting. I looked in the 1802 edition of
Bowditch for a definition of "Heave To." There is a whole section on
variations of "heave" but nothing for "heave to." Perhaps this was
not common terminology for the ships Bowditch was concerned with.

Awwhh! Heaving to is for pleasure craft!!
There's very few situations where a pro might heave to, instead a
ships
master would chain his crew to the oars where heave and to are two
separate commands!!!