Default Soul searching about a sailor in trouble

(Richard Casady) wrote in
:

They have triples in the US.

Casady

You boys have been, once again, outdone!

http://www.snopes.com/photos/boats/drugrunner.asp

over 2000hp "inflatable"?

How much does 8 Yamaha 250s drink, anyways at WOT??

With 300 kilos of pure cocaine aboard, I don't suppose it matters much...
(c;

Gives counter-rotating props and cavitation a whole new dimension!

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:20:04 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:54:00 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

I've read they have long freight train-like multi-trailer rigs in Oz.
That might require a little care in who is "engineering" the train.
I think doubles are the limit in the U.S., but wouldn't swear to it.
Most trucker regulation here is done after an accident.

--Vic

Hi Vic

Yes, the tractor (truck) unit tows three semi-trailers. They are
called "road trains". In the Northern Territory these travel at
whatever speed they care to as there is no speed limit. Bare in mind
that there is not the traffic density that would be on a similar US
highway. They carry stock, grain and goods. The longest are from
Adelaide at the bottom in South Australia to Darwin in Northern
Territory right at the top. Basically all of the goods that Darwin
consumes come from Adelaide.

Would be a great job for a while.

BTW Am back home in Malaysia staying with my kids with a
friend/colleague at his kampong near Kelang near the capital Kuala
Lumpur. The Indonesian maid makes superb black coffee from Java beans.
There is nothing like being greeted in the morning with a cup of such
coffee.

Now that says something about standards of living. Here you are in a
benighted, backward, 3rd world country and you've got a
housemaid.....I wonder how many readers in the U.S. have one?

You can keep your US imperialistic Starbucks. I'll have my real Java
coffee. She roasts and pounds the beans herself so that there is some
variation in taste each day. Not a science perhaps but allows the
delight of daily discovery and comparison. I offered to buy her an
electric coffee grounder but she merely screwed up her face at my
offer.

cheers
Peter

Many years ago, when I was working in Jakarta, my secretary married a
Batak. When she returned from Medan she, of course, brought back some
ola-ola (presents). Mine was a kilogram of coffee. Goodness, it was
good and as I was the only coffee drinker in my house I rationed
myself to one cup after supper each evening.

But of course, the time eventually came when the coffee bag was empty.
I mentioned to my secretary how good the coffee had been and was it
possible that she could get some more... No trouble she says, she'll
just call her sister-in-law and have her send another kilo. "I'll be
glad to pay for it", says I, whereupon she looks very embarrassed and
mutters that "no problem, it was the cheapest coffee in the market".

Ha! The cheapest coffee in the Medan market tastes better then
Starbuck's best.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 03:47:19 +0000, Larry wrote:

Herodotus wrote in
:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 00:15:22 +0000, Larry wrote:

Herodotus wrote in
:

they are a part of every male's manhood.

Bull****! I'm lookin' at mine and I don't see no car!

Poor little willy ain't got no license to drive it anyways. That's the
only reason he takes me out on dates with the girls!....duty driver!

Larry,

You always seem to come out of left field and make me laugh.

I guess that's why I love you.

cheers
Peter

Damned Dutch beer....

I was hoping you'd get a kick out of it...(c;

Boat groups are always way too serious, fussing over the damndest crap like
varnish and rope. The place needs more fun....before they all turn to
STONE!

Since you said it first I guess I can chime in. The thread about tying
on fenders..... Damn, a Real Sailor would just chain the tires to the
gunwale and ignore them until they fall off......

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

Damn, a Real Sailor would just chain the tires to the
gunwale and ignore them until they fall off......

Yachties would use the finest stainless chain from the most expensive boat
chandler in town.

That would make it OK....(c;

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:47:18 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

Damn, a Real Sailor would just chain the tires to the
gunwale and ignore them until they fall off......

Yachties would use the finest stainless chain from the most expensive boat
chandler in town.

That would make it OK....(c;

And, I understand, white sidewalls are in vogue, also.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

And, I understand, white sidewalls are in vogue, also.

Close but not quite right. Just like everything else he owns on the dock,
the tires would have to be SOLID WHITE RUBBER, also specially purchased
from the most expensive chandler in town.

Real tires, especially like those around the tugboat on the pier, are way
too inexpensive to use as fenders....

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:12:53 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

And, I understand, white sidewalls are in vogue, also.

Close but not quite right. Just like everything else he owns on the dock,
the tires would have to be SOLID WHITE RUBBER, also specially purchased
from the most expensive chandler in town.

Real tires, especially like those around the tugboat on the pier, are way
too inexpensive to use as fenders....

Ah.... Unfortunately I was raised by parents who got married during
the height of the Great Depression and thus was taught an, apparently
strange in modern terms, respect for money. "If it works then use it".

Shoot! If I'd come up with the idea of using old, wore out, (cheap)
tires for fenders folks would have pointed me out on the streets -
"look at old Bruce there, why he got fenders for his boat FREE!".

On a less frivolous note, there is a boat down the dock from me that
has real car tires for fenders - carefully covered by custom sewed
covers made from Sunbrella fabric.......And tied to the lifelines with
sparkling white double-braid.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

Ah.... Unfortunately I was raised by parents who got married during
the height of the Great Depression and thus was taught an, apparently
strange in modern terms, respect for money. "If it works then use it".

Wrong concept. Modern, American at least, yachties must spend every
available penny on the most expensive crap West Marine delivers, even if
it's cheap plastic crap from the China sweatshops. Hell, WM sells them a
little plastic 12V box fan for a HUNDRED US DOLLARS!

In article , Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

On a less frivolous note, there is a boat down the dock from me that
has real car tires for fenders - carefully covered by custom sewed
covers made from Sunbrella fabric.......And tied to the lifelines with
sparkling white double-braid.

That's another way of recycling. The tyres will probably last longer
than regular fenders too. I guess that without the fabric covers the
tyre rubber will mark the boat, so they're not just to improve
appearances.

Justin.

BTW: Tyres are those air-filled rubber things on the wheels of an
automobile, tires is what one does when one works hard ;-)

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Justin C wrote in
:

BTW: Tyres are those air-filled rubber things on the wheels of an
automobile, tires is what one does when one works hard ;-)

My English captain's name is Tyres.....