Default How should Lexan be cleaned?

Blank
My dodger has a front Lexan panel with vinyl siding. I like the concept of looking trough the panel instead of above it.Yet I have not used detergents to clean the Lexan. I am apprehensive about what to use.so as not to distort the vision and making scratches. I wonder if anyone has had any positive experience in using a cleaning product other than dish detergent,

I use a product called "Clear-To-Sea" Works great
It has a small amount of wax in the mix which causes rain to bead & run off.
Never Never Never use any ammonia base product such as Windex. The ammonia
will turn the lexan cloudy.

"Denis M" wrote in message

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C8CF19.AD1BA020

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C8CF19.AD1BA020

Blank
My dodger has a front Lexan panel with vinyl siding. I like the concept =
of looking trough the panel instead of above it.Yet I have not used =
detergents to clean the Lexan. I am apprehensive about what to use.so as =
not to distort the vision and making scratches. I wonder if anyone has =
had any positive experience in using a cleaning product other than dish =
detergent,

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C8CF19.AD1BA020

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEADTITLE id=3DridTitleBlank/TITLE
META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dwindows-1252"BASE=20
href=3D"file://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft =
Shared\Stationery\"
STYLEBODY {
MARGIN-TOP: 25px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 25px; COLOR: #000000; =
FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica
}
P.msoNormal {
MARGIN-TOP: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; COLOR: #ffffcc; =
FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"
}
LI.msoNormal {
MARGIN-TOP: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; COLOR: #ffffcc; =
FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"
}
/STYLE

META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16674" name=3DGENERATOR/HEAD
BODY id=3DridBody bgColor=3D#ffffff=20
background=3Dcid:FBF8A1CD99174D528BFAC9291F2F31A1@ your4dacd0ea75
DIV /DIV
PMy dodger has a front Lexan panel with vinyl siding.  I like the =
concept=20
of looking trough the panel instead of above it.Yet I have not used =
detergents=20
to clean the Lexan. I am apprehensive about what to use.so as not to =
distort the=20
vision and making scratches.  I wonder if anyone has had any =
positive=20
experience in using a cleaning product other than dish detergent,/P
P /P/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C8CF19.AD1BA020--

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C8CF19.AD1BA020

R0lGODlhLQAtAID/AP////f39ywAAAAALQAtAEACcAxup8vtvxKQsFon6d02898pGkgiYoCm 6sq2
7iqWcmzOsmeXeA7uPJd5CYdD2g9oPF58ygqz+XhCG9JpJGmlYr PXGlfr/Yo/VW45e7amp2tou/lW
xo/zX513z+Vt+1n/tiX2pxP4NUhy2FM4xtjIUQAAOw==

"Denis M" wrote in message ...

My dodger has a front Lexan panel with vinyl siding. I like the concept of looking trough the panel instead of above it.Yet I have not used detergents to clean the Lexan. I am apprehensive about what to use.so as not to distort the vision and making scratches. I wonder if anyone has had any positive experience in using a cleaning product other than dish detergent,

Check out:-

http://www.hurricaneshuttersflorida....oatWindows.htm

"Denis M" wrote in news:48559050$0$4092
:

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"

Denis...Turn off the HTML and gifs before posting again. It's not
appreciated here.

"Denis M" wrote in message

Blank
My dodger has a front Lexan panel with vinyl siding. I like the concept =
of looking trough the panel instead of above it.Yet I have not used =
detergents to clean the Lexan. I am apprehensive about what to use.so as =
not to distort the vision and making scratches. I wonder if anyone has =
had any positive experience in using a cleaning product other than dish =
detergent,

My dodger developed brownish stains along the base of the outside two
vinyl panels.

I did lots of searching and settled on 'Maryhate' 'Clear Vinyl Cleaner
and Polisher'. It had no effect on the stain whatsoever, which remains.

One can actually feel the difference in levels ( originally thought it
was salt build-up and an easy fix).

Anyone else tried and succeeded?

--
Molesworth

On Jun 15, 11:02 pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
... They will probably sell you someting called "Plexus" which
Hamilton Marine also has. ...

That's what I use and I like it. I don't know if it will do much for
you if things have gotten really bad though.

--Tom.

Blank"Denis M" wrote in message

My dodger has a front Lexan panel with vinyl siding. I like the concept
of looking trough
the panel instead of above it.Yet I have not used detergents to clean the
Lexan. I am
apprehensive about what to use.so as not to distort the vision and making
scratches.
I wonder if anyone has had any positive experience in using a cleaning
product other
than dish detergent,

Spray it with mosquito spray with DEET. It'll really do a job on it . . .

--
Gregory Hall

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message
Blank"Denis M" wrote in message

My dodger has a front Lexan panel with vinyl siding. I like the concept
of looking trough
the panel instead of above it.Yet I have not used detergents to clean the
Lexan. I am
apprehensive about what to use.so as not to distort the vision and making
scratches.
I wonder if anyone has had any positive experience in using a cleaning
product other
than dish detergent,

Spray it with mosquito spray with DEET. It'll really do a job on it . . .

--
Gregory Hall

Thanks to every one for their help. I have learned a lot. This is the
first time that I have a Dodger let alone the Lexan panel and vinyl sidings.
My slip neighbour had a can of "Plexus" and told me to use it. I did use it
with a micro fleece cloth. Everything came out spotless. The Lexan panel
look better than the windshield of my car. I also used Plexus on the heavy
1/2 thick Plexiglas of my hatch doors. The came out good but very slippery
when you have to handle them for storage or closing the boat. Plexus odour
is very strong and almost gave me a headache. Maybe next time I'll try
other products already mentioned in this thread

"Denis M" wrote in message

[...]

Please don't use the mosquito spray with DEET. I was only joking. It will
make it all milky and ruin it forever.

--
Gregory Hall

Bob Bob is offline

originally i thought this was a troll but since so many replied i
thought id give you what i have. ive posted this a couple times over
the alst couple years and a search wo,ld have brought it. but here ya
go .......

SOLVENTS/CLEANERS COMPATIBLE
WITH POLYCARBONATE:
Mild soap and water
Mineral Spirits
Mexane
VM and P Naphtha
Varsol No.2
#1 & #3 denatured alcohol
Freone TF and TE-35
Ethanol
10% Sol Bon Ami
Dirtex
2% Sol. Reg. Joy
Heptane
White Kerosene
Methyl, isopropyl and isobutyl alcohols
Lacryl PCL-2035 polycarbonate cleaner
Petroleum Ether/65 degrees C boiling point

SOLVENTS/CLEANERS NOT TO BE USED WITH POLYCARBONATE:
Trichlor
Acetone
Triclene
Methyl Ethyl Keytone (MEK)
MIBK
Toluol
Benzol
Gasoline
Carbon Tetrachloride
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons
Texize-8006, 8129, 8758
Liquid Cleaner - 8211
Agitene
Ajax
All Liquid Detergents
Pink Lux (Phosphate free)
Kleenol Plastics
Lemon Joy (phosphate free)
Diversol
Lestoil
Lysol
Stanisol Naphtha
Oils

CHEMICAL RESISTANCE
Polycarbonate panels are resistant to some chemical and products non-
resistant to others. Resistance can be effected by the chemical
concentration, duration of exposure, degree of pressure and
temperature at time of contact.

SAFE CHEMICALS FOR POLYCARBONATE
Acetic Acid Carbon Monoxide Mercury
Ammonium Chloride Citric Acid - 10% Methane
Antimony Chloride Copper Sulphate Oxygen
Borax in Water Ethyl Alcohol - 95% Ozone
Butane Ethylene Glycol Sulphur
Calcium Chloride Formain - 10% Urea
Calcium Hypochloride Hydrochloric Acid - 20% Water
Carbon Dioxide Hydroflouric Acid - 5%

CHEMICALS REQUIRING CAUTION:
Cyclohexone Glycerine Sulphur Dioxide
Diesel Oil HeatingFuel Turpentine
Formic Acid Jet Fuel
Gasoline Perchloric Acid-Conc.

CHEMICALS THAT ATTACK POLYCARBONATE:
Acetone Caustic Soda Methyl Ethyl Ketone
Acrylonitrile Chloroform Perchloroethylene
Ammonia Dimethyl Formamide Styrene
Amyl Acetate Hydrochloric Acid-Conc. Toluol
Benzene Hydroflouric Acid-Conc. Sulphuric Acid-Conc.
Bromine Iodine Xylene
Butyl Acetate Methanol

So now you can scrub away with informed consent.
Bob

Lexan John W. Bienko ASA 2 June 21st 07 10:36 PM
Lexan ,, for ports .. where to purchase and get cut NE Sailboat Cruising 14 March 8th 07 01:38 AM
Lexan vs acrylic Roger Long Cruising 7 December 6th 06 05:18 PM
Lexan to Aluminum Adhesive? bushman Boat Building 5 June 17th 06 06:53 AM
getting adhesive off Lexan MMC Boat Building 17 March 27th 06 08:55 PM