posted to rec.boats.building
MMC

Default getting adhesive off Lexan

I've got some old Lexan that still has the protective paper on it and last
weekend used a piece for a science project with my daughter.
The project, a simple solar oven, would have taken us about 1.5 hours to
build, but when I broke out a piece of the Lexan, I had the worst time
getting the adhesive off that was holding the protective paper. This took 3
hours, experimenting with soap, vinager, kroll oil, even acetone (small
scrape- ruined), and I finally gave up and used a window scraper which
ruined the surface. Worked ok for the oven, but wouldn't want my ports or
companionway boards to look like that!
I've had this stuff sitting around, waiting for a project, for more than 10
years in Florida heat and humidity.
I'd like to be able to use the rest and need advice on getting the
paper/adhesive off.
Thanks, MMC

posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH

MMC wrote:
I've got some old Lexan that still has the protective paper on it and
last weekend used a piece for a science project with my daughter.
The project, a simple solar oven, would have taken us about 1.5 hours
to build, but when I broke out a piece of the Lexan, I had the worst
time getting the adhesive off that was holding the protective paper.
This took 3 hours, experimenting with soap, vinager, kroll oil, even
acetone (small scrape- ruined), and I finally gave up and used a
window scraper which ruined the surface. Worked ok for the oven, but
wouldn't want my ports or companionway boards to look like that!
I've had this stuff sitting around, waiting for a project, for more
than 10 years in Florida heat and humidity.
I'd like to be able to use the rest and need advice on getting the
paper/adhesive off.
Thanks, MMC

I just cut a piece a few days ago that was even older (16 years), peeled
off the paper. It didn't want to come off easily, paper kept wanting to
tear...when it did I stopped and started working from another area.
Took maybe 5 minutes for a piece about 1 sq.ft. I'm in Florida too.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

posted to rec.boats.building
Evonpera

@#@

I use automotive wax and oil remover, body shops use this product before
painting.Does not damage paint or plastic surfaces.

BT.

"MMC" wrote in message
I've got some old Lexan that still has the protective paper on it and last
weekend used a piece for a science project with my daughter.
The project, a simple solar oven, would have taken us about 1.5 hours to
build, but when I broke out a piece of the Lexan, I had the worst time
getting the adhesive off that was holding the protective paper. This took
3
hours, experimenting with soap, vinegar, kroll oil, even acetone (small
scrape- ruined), and I finally gave up and used a window scraper which
ruined the surface. Worked ok for the oven, but wouldn't want my ports or
companionway boards to look like that!
I've had this stuff sitting around, waiting for a project, for more than
10
years in Florida heat and humidity.
I'd like to be able to use the rest and need advice on getting the
paper/adhesive off.
Thanks, MMC

posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore

I use Goof Off adhesive remover. Works well and does not seem to haze the
plastic. Also a big believer in McGuire's Plastic Polish. Even use it on
my old Maui Jims.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"MMC" wrote in message
[...]

Jim Conlin

Start at the bottom of the ladder of solvents and escalate 'til someone
wins.
My progression is:
Mineral spirits (aka paint thinner, tar & oil remover)
Toluene (AKA goof-off)
Lacquer thinner
Acetone
dynamite or nitric acid (joke)

"MMC" wrote in message
[...]

Drew Dalgleish

This almost ranks as an FAQ on the aviation homebuilders lists and if
I had a real good memory I could say with authority many find success
using methel alcohol.

Start at the bottom of the ladder of solvents and escalate 'til someone
wins.
My progression is:
Mineral spirits (aka paint thinner, tar & oil remover)
Toluene (AKA goof-off)
Lacquer thinner
Acetone
dynamite or nitric acid (joke)

"MMC" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Plenty of options to try BEFORE I actually need to use this stuff again.
Never had any dynamite and I'm all out of C-4 so that option's a no-go.
Acetone instantly ruins the finish.
Thanks everyone.
MMC

"John Cassara" wrote in message
Steam ?

"MMC" wrote in message
[...]

"MMC" wrote in message
. ..
Plenty of options to try BEFORE I actually need to use this stuff again.
Never had any dynamite and I'm all out of C-4 so that option's a no-go.

Acetone instantly ruins the finish.

As will many of the 'tips' folks have suggested you 'try'.

This topic was covered a few months ago and the owner of Spectre Products
(who has been working Lexan for many years) posted "the best way to remove
the paper is with a heat gun".

So if you want to get the job done, use a heat gun. If you want to
experiment (and ruin the finish, make a mess, or start a fire) then use
chemicals.