Florida Keyz

Default Radar on a cell phone

Jax, you lost that one! Ha!!
Eric

Jax:

I did say "in the summer". The Schooner Race is held in October as I
recall. We don't get a lot of thunderstorms in October.

Eric

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
I sailed end to end last summer, and sailed The Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner
Race, Annapolis to Norfolk, the year before in winds against the current up to
35 knots gusting to 40, and then back to Annapolis.

Long Island Sound gets thunderstorm, too. In addition, in the Midwest where I
spent the first 3-1/2 decades of my life summertime afternoon thunderstorms
very frequent and well watched because they sometimes spit out tornadoes.

I have also been through the typhoon season in SE Asia.

thunderstorms are --- easy --- to see coming -- without a cell phone to tell
you -- if you just pay attention.

Je

JAX has never sailed on the Chesapeake in the summer. Some on this
list might argue he's never sailed anything other than a keyboard but
I leave that to them.

Eric

Jere Lull wrote in message
In article ,
(Eric) wrote:

Climate is very different as you move a bit further South. There is
good likelihood of thunderstorms every day for most of the summer.
Staying off the water when NWS says there's a chance of thunderstorms
means you don't sail at all in the summer.

Ain't THAT the truth! One day last season, the prediction was only 20%
chance of afternoon showers and thunderstorms. We were so shocked;
didn't know their equipment COULD predict less than 30% in the summer.

Last year was a real PITA. Friends (powerboaters, no less) who get out
more than us some years, found fewer than a dozen days with good enough
forecasts. We pushed the envelope a bit, sometimes skittering out
between cells, but only got out about 60 days including our annual 2
week honeymoon. (only 3 of those 18 days in June were clear and warm.)
Didn't go very far, either.

Eric

Jax:

I have to stop - this is too much fun. I'm trying to visualize "a
floating navigation hazzard" - I'm seeing the "General Lee" complete
with stars and bars not to mention mast and boom afloat in the Bay!
Yeeeee Haaaaa!

Eric

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
say what you wish, but at this point the entire planet knows you are scared to
death of the water. Buy ALL the "safety" equipment you can find, dude. please
spend, and spend, and spend until your boat sinks at the dock with no chance to
ever become a floating navigation hazzard.

Jax:

I just love a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent!

Eric

(JAXAshby) wrote in message
eric, if you mind very much how about from now on you refer to you as
chicken**** instead of as eric.

Stay tied to the dock. Period. You are not qualified to be a sailor if

you
need a cell phone to tell you there is a thunderstorm in the 'hood.

And I most certainly would not trust you, or your judgement about weather!

Eric

(JAXAshby) wrote in message
eric, it seems you have seen just two thunderstorms in your life, and

one

of
them came "unexpectedly".

Trust me, eric, thunderstorms don't just "happen". I doubt I have been
surprised by one since I was 8 years old.

If you could see it you would have 16 1/2 hours (and if it was only
moving at 10 knots - that's pretty slow for a thunderstorm). The
point is - typical visibility at the surface is 7 to 10 miles on a
very clear day. With summer haze it is frequently much less than
that. If the storm moves 20 miles an hour (not all that fast for a
thunderstorm), 10 mile visibility gives me 1/2 hour. Moving at 6
knots, I can move my boat a little over three miles in that 1/2 hour.

Eric

(JAXAshby) wrote in message
yeah, right. at 165 nm way an 10 knots speed it will only take

16-1/2
hours
for a thunderstorm to get to you. FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

too
quickly
for you react. You really should buy a cell phone to tell you that a
storm
is
on its way and may hit you sometime tomorrown afternoon.

Gosh, maybe I need new glasses - when I'm in the Bay off Annapolis,

just can't see those clouds over Morgantown, West Virginia - a mere
165 nm away.

In fact, from the top of Old Rag mountain at over 3200 feet, most

days
I can't make out Washington, D.C. a mere 70 miles away (needless to
say, I don't do this in a sailboat).

Maybe I need Lasik!

Eric

(JAXAshby) wrote in message
There are lots of places where people sail and it's difficult to

see
thunderstorm coming

bull****. Thunderstorm clouds go as high as 60,000 feet

sometimes,
which
means
they can be seen up to 300 nm away. Even 10,000 foot high clouds

can
be
seen
up to 122 nm away. Can't see that coming?

And there are many places where the potential
exists every day in the summer

thunderstorms don't form inside of 30 seconds. You *KNOW* they

are
coming,
if
one just pays attention.

Florida Keyz

only the ignorant have to use cuss words, huh Jax?

Battery Meter Ernie General 79 May 25th 04 12:36 AM
cell phone coverage on boat - Key Biscayne to Key largo [email protected] Cruising 20 December 9th 03 05:23 AM
Weather, Tide & Wind via Cell Phone, Courtesy of... Harry Krause General 0 December 5th 03 03:38 AM