Roy G. Biv

Default Radar on a cell phone

Harlan Lachman:

John thanks for the information. Could you share with the NG which of
the Verizon packages you found most useful? It is not clear from the
link which would be most beneficial.

I find the local radar most useful and check it daily (on line)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X25B54747

is the phones screen large enough to offer a useful image? I am
intrigued, I like to know whats BEHIND the storms I am watching !
Eric

JAX, Apparently, in addition to not being able to think too clearly,
you can't read very well. Surprising for someone who can see storm
clouds from 300 nm away!

I see thunderstorms most afternoons all summer. That is why it is
impractical, if you want to sail at all in the South in the summer, to
say that you are not going to venture out when there is the threat of
a thuderstorm. I've seen enough of them to know that every now and
then they do sneak up on you - not every one but it only takes one.
Any tool that helps you avoid one is a tool worth considering.

Eric

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
eric, it seems you have seen just two thunderstorms in your life, and one of
them came "unexpectedly".

Trust me, eric, thunderstorms don't just "happen". I doubt I have been
surprised by one since I was 8 years old.

If you could see it you would have 16 1/2 hours (and if it was only
moving at 10 knots - that's pretty slow for a thunderstorm). The
point is - typical visibility at the surface is 7 to 10 miles on a
very clear day. With summer haze it is frequently much less than
that. If the storm moves 20 miles an hour (not all that fast for a
thunderstorm), 10 mile visibility gives me 1/2 hour. Moving at 6
knots, I can move my boat a little over three miles in that 1/2 hour.

Eric

(JAXAshby) wrote in message
yeah, right. at 165 nm way an 10 knots speed it will only take 16-1/2

hours
for a thunderstorm to get to you. FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR too

quickly
for you react. You really should buy a cell phone to tell you that a storm

is
on its way and may hit you sometime tomorrown afternoon.

Gosh, maybe I need new glasses - when I'm in the Bay off Annapolis, I
just can't see those clouds over Morgantown, West Virginia - a mere
165 nm away.

In fact, from the top of Old Rag mountain at over 3200 feet, most days
I can't make out Washington, D.C. a mere 70 miles away (needless to
say, I don't do this in a sailboat).

Maybe I need Lasik!

Eric

(JAXAshby) wrote in message
There are lots of places where people sail and it's difficult to see a
thunderstorm coming

bull****. Thunderstorm clouds go as high as 60,000 feet sometimes,

which
means
they can be seen up to 300 nm away. Even 10,000 foot high clouds can be

seen
up to 122 nm away. Can't see that coming?

And there are many places where the potential
exists every day in the summer

thunderstorms don't form inside of 30 seconds. You *KNOW* they are

coming,
if
one just pays attention.

JAXAshby

eric, this discussion is about --- radar on cell phones ---!!! *you* need
frickin' cell phone to tell you that there is a thunderstorm in the 'hood,
*you* need to stay tied to the dock. Period.

Battery Meter Ernie General 79 May 25th 04 12:36 AM
cell phone coverage on boat - Key Biscayne to Key largo [email protected] Cruising 20 December 9th 03 04:23 AM
Weather, Tide & Wind via Cell Phone, Courtesy of... Harry Krause General 0 December 5th 03 02:38 AM