Eric

Default Radar on a cell phone

Gosh, maybe I need new glasses - when I'm in the Bay off Annapolis, I
just can't see those clouds over Morgantown, West Virginia - a mere
165 nm away.

In fact, from the top of Old Rag mountain at over 3200 feet, most days
I can't make out Washington, D.C. a mere 70 miles away (needless to
say, I don't do this in a sailboat).

Maybe I need Lasik!

Eric

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
There are lots of places where people sail and it's difficult to see a
thunderstorm coming

bull****. Thunderstorm clouds go as high as 60,000 feet sometimes, which means
they can be seen up to 300 nm away. Even 10,000 foot high clouds can be seen
up to 122 nm away. Can't see that coming?

And there are many places where the potential
exists every day in the summer

thunderstorms don't form inside of 30 seconds. You *KNOW* they are coming, if
one just pays attention.

JAXAshby

brian squat do *you* NEED to recognize a thunderstorm at --- 300 nm --- out?

Well, okay.

(Eric) wrote:
Don't expect to recognize a towering cu-nim anvil at 300 nm from a low
blip on the horizon on a crystal clear day,
In fact try not to argue with fools, as a general rule.

Brian Whatcott

Your trig may be correct as far as the altitude is concerned but
practically speaking, you can rarely see anything 300 nm away.

I would agree they don't tend to come up on you in 10 minutes but it
may take a lot longer than 10 minutes to get to a safe
harbor/dock/anchorage.

Eric

(Eric) wrote:
Don't expect to recognize a towering cu-nim anvil at 300 nm from a low
blip on the horizon on a crystal clear day,
In fact try not to argue with fools, as a general rule.

Brian Whatcott

Your trig may be correct as far as the altitude is concerned but
practically speaking, you can rarely see anything 300 nm away.

I would agree they don't tend to come up on you in 10 minutes but it
may take a lot longer than 10 minutes to get to a safe
harbor/dock/anchorage.

Eric

JAXAshby

yeah, right. at 165 nm way an 10 knots speed it will only take 16-1/2 hours
for a thunderstorm to get to you. FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR too quickly
for you react. You really should buy a cell phone to tell you that a storm is
on its way and may hit you sometime tomorrown afternoon.

(JAXAshby) wrote in message
There are lots of places where people sail and it's difficult to see a
thunderstorm coming

bull****. Thunderstorm clouds go as high as 60,000 feet sometimes, which

means
they can be seen up to 300 nm away. Even 10,000 foot high clouds can be

seen
up to 122 nm away. Can't see that coming?

And there are many places where the potential
exists every day in the summer

thunderstorms don't form inside of 30 seconds. You *KNOW* they are coming,

if
one just pays attention.

Sheldon Haynie

Default Radar for weather at NIGHT Was Radar on a cell phone

During Day time you can "usually see" the storm coming, unless you are on
the Finger lakes or similar where the surrounding hillside blocks the view
to the west.

(remembering a Sunfish surfing backwards about 30 yrs ago when we got hit by
a fast mover)

At night whether you are along shore or offshore you "usually can not see
the squall line" you should see Lightning if there is any, I spose that all
T-storms by definition do have lightning.

My point is that with Radar as a normal part of keeping watch, and keeping
log/plot you can look toward the horizon in the dark and try to see if there
is heavy precipitation which does return the beam.

Regarding Cat 4 races your cell phone would be effective, as you should be
in coverage. Say you are offshore 20 miles in middle of Ontario or perhaps
Marblehead to Halifax and you need better service.

On 1/30/04 1:31 AM, in article ,
"JAXAshby" wrote:

Jax is just trying to claim that a few offshore rides makes him a weather
expert.

no, I wasn't. I was just saying that -- in agreement with another poster --
that I had not seen thunderstorms at sea at night, that I had -- perhaps in
disagreement -- seen such thunderstorms at night way inland.

--
Sheldon Haynie
Texas Instruments

Eric

If you could see it you would have 16 1/2 hours (and if it was only
moving at 10 knots - that's pretty slow for a thunderstorm). The
point is - typical visibility at the surface is 7 to 10 miles on a
very clear day. With summer haze it is frequently much less than
that. If the storm moves 20 miles an hour (not all that fast for a
thunderstorm), 10 mile visibility gives me 1/2 hour. Moving at 6
knots, I can move my boat a little over three miles in that 1/2 hour.

Eric

Battery Meter Ernie General 79 May 25th 04 12:36 AM
cell phone coverage on boat - Key Biscayne to Key largo [email protected] Cruising 20 December 9th 03 04:23 AM
Weather, Tide & Wind via Cell Phone, Courtesy of... Harry Krause General 0 December 5th 03 02:38 AM