JAXAshby

Default Radar on a cell phone

yes, of course. *you* need to be scared squatless without a cell phone to
inform *you* that a thunderstorm might be nearby.

Jax:

I did say "in the summer". The Schooner Race is held in October as I
recall. We don't get a lot of thunderstorms in October.

Eric

(JAXAshby) wrote in message
I sailed end to end last summer, and sailed The Great Chesapeake Bay

Schooner
Race, Annapolis to Norfolk, the year before in winds against the current up

35 knots gusting to 40, and then back to Annapolis.

Long Island Sound gets thunderstorm, too. In addition, in the Midwest

where I
spent the first 3-1/2 decades of my life summertime afternoon thunderstorms
very frequent and well watched because they sometimes spit out tornadoes.

I have also been through the typhoon season in SE Asia.

thunderstorms are --- easy --- to see coming -- without a cell phone to

tell
you -- if you just pay attention.

Je

JAX has never sailed on the Chesapeake in the summer. Some on this
list might argue he's never sailed anything other than a keyboard but
I leave that to them.

Eric

Jere Lull wrote in message
In article ,
(Eric) wrote:

Climate is very different as you move a bit further South. There is
good likelihood of thunderstorms every day for most of the summer.
Staying off the water when NWS says there's a chance of thunderstorms
means you don't sail at all in the summer.

Ain't THAT the truth! One day last season, the prediction was only 20%
chance of afternoon showers and thunderstorms. We were so shocked;
didn't know their equipment COULD predict less than 30% in the summer.

Last year was a real PITA. Friends (powerboaters, no less) who get out
more than us some years, found fewer than a dozen days with good enough
forecasts. We pushed the envelope a bit, sometimes skittering out
between cells, but only got out about 60 days including our annual 2
week honeymoon. (only 3 of those 18 days in June were clear and warm.)
Didn't go very far, either.