Default Cruising Boat Generator (small)

Leanne wrote:
"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:39:17 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:22:17 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

I was planning to add a K.I.S.S. wind generator & a couple larger solar
panels but am considering taking that money and putting toward a used
generator.

Two questions:

1) Any advise in choosing a generator?

2) Where to look for good used generator (Florida based boat)?

If I were planning on putting a generator in a boat I'd "ping" Larry
as he recently described a new model Honda that apparently is a DC
generator and an inverter combined. Larry says that he uses one and it
is quite and efficient.

I have used the Honda EU2000i which is a DC generator with an inverter
for 2000W for close to 5 years now. Very quiet under light load and with
the eco throttle it speeds up a bit when the hot water heater comes on.
I have used it on the boat as well as in the RV when I didn't want to
crank up the big coach generator. I just went to the Mayberry site
(mayberrys.com) and saw that Yamaha has a line of the inverter type
gennys matching the Honda line. No interest in the company, but just a
satisfied user.

Leanne

I also have the Honda EU2000i and use it as a backup to the engine
alternator. Although very quiet at idle, its a bit noisy at full
throttle (i.e. when charging) and I consider it anti-social to use in a
tight anchorage where a neighbor might be 50 feet from my cockpit. It
is, however, quieter than the engine for me down below, so I use it when
neighbors are more than a 100 yards away.

Wow, this post sure generated a s***storm of comments.

For what you want to do, I would install a small diesel genset. I
particularly like the 3.5 KW NextGen. It operates at a more reasonable 2800
rpm and is much cheaper than the bigger, heavier 1800 rpm gensets. It won't
last as long as the big 1800 rpm units, but it will do the job. And with its
integral sound enclosure, it won't be any louder.

For this application, I think diesel is essential. The gas Honda 2000i will
work but it is noisy and it will burn a lot of gas for AC cooling in the
middle of the summer. It is definitely much, much cheaper than a permanently
installed diesel genset. But most complaints about noise go away with the
permanently installed diesel genset.

The NexGen will cost about $5,000 with soundshield, about another $500 for
muffler, hoses, etc and about $2,000-$5000 to have it professionally
installed, nothing for the DIY.

David

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:10:57 -0700, "David&Joan"
wrote:

[...]

Good advice.

Deck mounted gas generators really have no place on a boat except for
emergencies.

That's what I'm talking about; charging batteries & when I'm using some item
that requires power (an appliance, water heater etc.).

I often hear folks talk about how a sailboat should have nothing electric
powered on it, beyond maybe a few lights...I also hear the same bunch
complain how their wives won't move aboard with them. Well, my wife is
willing to move aboard for winters, and in this case, for a year and a half.
I think I can reciprocate by providing her some creature comforts.

We normally don't need air conditioning, however Florida/Bahamas in the
summer time...might be nice a couple hours a day or so.

Glenn.

"Harlan Lachman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gregory Hall" wrote:

"Harlan Lachman" wrote in message
| In article ,
| Paul Cassel wrote:
|
| Glenn (s/v Seawing) wrote:
|
| Two questions:
|
| 1) Any advise in choosing a generator?
|
| 2) Where to look for good used generator (Florida based
boat)?

| A/C on an anchor? You are talking about running a genset 100%
of the
| time afloat. I think that'll pretty much take all the enjoyment
out of
| sailing. You say a small boat - well how small? Generators,
especially
| diesel, are noisy. So what will you do - build it a compartment
and then
| line that compartment with lead sound deadening? OK, then you
need to
| vent it. Even so, you'll know it's running which would make me
crazy.

| I don't think you can get a big enough generator to power, say
| microwave and a/c, quiet enough on a 35' boat. There isn't
the room
| for it.
|
| If you can't get your wife to simplify her life, get a trawler.
|
| -paul
|
| Glenn, I have a different take than Paul. As an asthmatic with
sleep
| apnea, really hot humid nights are very bad for me. As you
probably
| know, hot, humid nights have more stuff in the air. Being in an
enclosed
| place and being uncomfortable...
|
| I found it possible to run the smallest AC off my Honda 1000is
| generator. I think it was a Marineaire unit. The Honda lasted
long
| enough to kill the heat and humidity so I could get to sleep and
still
| have enough juice to charge the battery so I could use my sleep
apnea
| machine. It was a lot quieter than I would have thought.
|
| I happen to like sailing so a trawler would not work for me.
|
| Marineair (http://www.marineair.com/contained/index.html) now has
| little cuddy unit that works off the batteries so the generator
could
| just charge them (I ran my A/C or 110, right off the generator
plugged
| through my shore power).
|
| There are solutions for most problems if you look.

People like you make me mad. You anchor right upwind of me and the
first thing I see is a fat guy setting a red Honda generator on the
top deck of his trawler right at the back. This is the very best
place from which to broadcast noise. Then the fat man fires up the
generator, plugs in the load and the quiet generator now takes on
an aggressive, snappy tone that is very irritating for any other
anchored boat within a quarter mile. Then the fat man goes below
and says to his fat wife. "Nice and cool in here pretty soon, Hon.
Get me a beer and how about some chips and French onion dip,
please." Then the fat man pigs out and aggravates his sleep apnea
and asthma all the more. "Hon, that generator isn't very loud at
all is it? I can hardly hear it in here." In here is the key but
what about the other boats anchored around yours, you selfish twit?
What about the people who are trying to sleep under an open hatch
catching a bit of a breeze.? Noise, noise and more noise. All nite
long it grinds away. You are one rude, selfish son of a bitch.
Sickly assholes like you should stay home so you don't visit your
infirmities on healthy people who don't need air conditioning and
are physically able to enjoy the ambient conditions. You, sir, are
an asshole.

Greg

Greg, as the coordinator of the AWAKE chapter up here, let me disabuse
you of the common misconception that folks with OSA are necessarily fat.
While there is a correlation with weight and menopause with OSA, it is
just a correlation. There are kids and thin folks and normal folks who
have it too.

Second, one can cool down a cabin fairly quickly with an AC since there
is such a small space. In most places once the cabin is cooled down
there is no need to keep running the AC. That still leaves the fairly
quiet small gen set running. But my guess is that that huge powerboats
in your gunkhole are what you here.

But mostly, I am sorry that the joy of cruising and sailing has left you
such an embittered, angry person.

We have one thing in common. We both hope not to share anchorages with
the other.

Harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

I hear ya. I don't know what makes people so full of hate and anger when
online. I'm certain this individual wouldn't stand up to a full-grown man
with the same attitude.

"Block Sender" does provide a solution for this type.

Glenn.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Harlan Lachman" wrote in message

bs troll material deleted

[...]

Don't worry. Just say plonk. He doesn't actually sail. He's a stalker on
Usenet.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Well, I actually use a Honda iu2000 onboard to charge batteries & run the
water heater when at anchor. It's very affordable, but a bit noisy.
Charging, it runs slow and makes very little noise away from the boat but
it's vibration is pretty loud below decks. This thing is portable, simple
and incredibly reliable.

I was thinking of something more fuel efficient and quieter...and not
gasoline.

Glenn.

wrote:

[...]

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 07:46:59 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

If I were planning on putting a generator in a boat I'd "ping" Larry
as he recently described a new model Honda that apparently is a DC
generator and an inverter combined. Larry says that he uses one and it
is quite and efficient.

Unfortunately that is not a marine generator that can be installed
below decks, nor it is a diesel.

Right, besides the noise, I don't like that this think can never be below
deck (gasoline). The generator and it's fuel supply always sit at the stern
rail. Don't get me wrong, we're used to it & live with it pretty well. A
similar sized diesel system would be welcome.

Glenn.

Thanks David for the reply. I found NextGen on the web and will look into
them.

Glenn.

"David&Joan" wrote in message
Wow, this post sure generated a s***storm of comments.

For what you want to do, I would install a small diesel genset. I
particularly like the 3.5 KW NextGen. It operates at a more reasonable
2800 rpm and is much cheaper than the bigger, heavier 1800 rpm gensets. It
won't last as long as the big 1800 rpm units, but it will do the job. And
with its integral sound enclosure, it won't be any louder.

For this application, I think diesel is essential. The gas Honda 2000i
will work but it is noisy and it will burn a lot of gas for AC cooling in
the middle of the summer. It is definitely much, much cheaper than a
permanently installed diesel genset. But most complaints about noise go
away with the permanently installed diesel genset.

The NexGen will cost about $5,000 with soundshield, about another $500 for
muffler, hoses, etc and about $2,000-$5000 to have it professionally
installed, nothing for the DIY.

David

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 03:27:33 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

If I were planning on putting a generator in a boat I'd "ping" Larry
as he recently described a new model Honda that apparently is a DC
generator and an inverter combined. Larry says that he uses one and it
is quite and efficient.

Unfortunately that is not a marine generator that can be installed
below decks, nor it is a diesel.

Right, besides the noise, I don't like that this think can never be below
deck (gasoline). The generator and it's fuel supply always sit at the stern
rail. Don't get me wrong, we're used to it & live with it pretty well. A
similar sized diesel system would be welcome.

Glenn.

Well, I can say from experience that you probably do not want an air
cooled diesel generator either. The previous owner of a power boat I
am rebuilding installed one. Noisy, vibrates and makes a nice heater
for the cabin when it is cold. Plus, no emergency shutdowns installed.

The problem with a fixed gen set in a 35 foot boat (I think the OP
said that) is where do you put it? I've seen them installed but
generally it turns out to be a compromise.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

I have installed a Northern Lights diesel genset on our sailboat.
This leads me to a couple of thoughts which I did not have when I
bought it.

Consider buying one which is the same manufacture as your pirmary
engine if possible. This might allow you to use the same filters and
repair kits.

Weight. A diesel genset has weight. Where are you going to put it.
Probably not on the center line. Thus you need to have an off-setting
weight to counter ballance or you will have a list. (mine has one to
port)

regarding noise. Mine is in a sound enclosure. It is remarkable
quiet for me and my neighbors..

fumes. if you have a small portable gasoline unit on your bow or
stern, how are you going to keep the deadly fumes from "falling" back
into your cabin and killing you while you sleep. I would argue that
there is much less risk of this with a diesel "wet exhaust" setup.

-Mark
http://GoReads.com