Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Cruising Boat Generator (small)

Leanne wrote:
"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:39:17 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:22:17 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

I was planning to add a K.I.S.S. wind generator & a couple larger solar
panels but am considering taking that money and putting toward a used
generator.

Two questions:

1) Any advise in choosing a generator?

2) Where to look for good used generator (Florida based boat)?

If I were planning on putting a generator in a boat I'd "ping" Larry
as he recently described a new model Honda that apparently is a DC
generator and an inverter combined. Larry says that he uses one and it
is quite and efficient.

I have used the Honda EU2000i which is a DC generator with an inverter
for 2000W for close to 5 years now. Very quiet under light load and with
the eco throttle it speeds up a bit when the hot water heater comes on.
I have used it on the boat as well as in the RV when I didn't want to
crank up the big coach generator. I just went to the Mayberry site
(mayberrys.com) and saw that Yamaha has a line of the inverter type
gennys matching the Honda line. No interest in the company, but just a
satisfied user.

Leanne

I also have the Honda EU2000i and use it as a backup to the engine
alternator. Although very quiet at idle, its a bit noisy at full
throttle (i.e. when charging) and I consider it anti-social to use in a
tight anchorage where a neighbor might be 50 feet from my cockpit. It
is, however, quieter than the engine for me down below, so I use it when
neighbors are more than a 100 yards away.