Default Cruising Boat Generator (small)

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 04:58:35 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

my dear ol' Dad is now
running a GB...oops. :-).

I am but I don't think I'm your dad. :-)

FWIW, GBs have proper marine generators. Ours has two and they are
both quiet.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 04:52:40 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

This can be an issue. Funny, usually I run my Honda in the morning...hot
shower for the Admiral.

If you have a FWC engine it is easy to heat water with a loop from the
aux. That's a lot quieter on most boats than an on deck Honda and you
get your batteries charged as a bonus.

Good thought on the hot water from the auxillary. Mine was plumbed that way
until this last year. We removed the plumbing for that because it was kinda
all wrong. We removed alot of things actually...bags & bags of old hose &
wire that was either wrong or not connected to anything at either end.
Typical old boat...keep installing new without removing the old & broken.
Sure clears out the engine room taking a few days to do that.

Thanks for the reminder Wayne, I'll put that on my list for this year. It
makes sense too 'cause I just installed a higher output alternator for
battery charging.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing.

wrote:

my dear ol' Dad is now
running a GB...oops. :-).

I am but I don't think I'm your dad. :-)

FWIW, GBs have proper marine generators. Ours has two and they are
both quiet.

Dad's GB had a real screamer for a generator (can't recall the brand off the
top of my head...though I've spent hours and ours hugging it). Replacing it
with a larger & quieter take-out this year.

Glenn.

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:17:53 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

Dad's GB had a real screamer for a generator (can't recall the brand off the
top of my head...though I've spent hours and ours hugging it). Replacing it
with a larger & quieter take-out this year.

Be sure and get an 1800 RPM unit (as opposed to 3600), a sound shield,
and a water lift muffler. Our primary unit is rigged that way and it
is almost inaudible from the flybridge or off the boat.

www.propane-generators.com/eu2000i_ kits.htm

Correction to my comment about losing 10% of power, apparently this is
no longer the case with the latest conversion mod:
www.propane-generators.com/dedicated_kits.htm "This type of conversion
will produce FULL power because the carburetor is now delivering fuel at
the exact location that was engineered for the delivery of gasoline to
the engine air stream."

wrote:

Dad's GB had a real screamer for a generator (can't recall the brand off
the
top of my head...though I've spent hours and ours hugging it). Replacing
it
with a larger & quieter take-out this year.

Be sure and get an 1800 RPM unit (as opposed to 3600), a sound shield,
and a water lift muffler. Our primary unit is rigged that way and it
is almost inaudible from the flybridge or off the boat.

Theirs has a sound shield & a water lift muffler but is pretty loud
still....and a very regular maintenance headache. I spent a number of years
in the noise-control business so have sourced some anti-vibration mounts for
the new generator (much engine noise is actually transmitted by vibration).
Hopefully the more modern unit & better sound control will make it more
livable for them. The crazy thing about the GB is that they've installed an
AC stove. So...without the generator running, there's no cooking going on
(unless one travels marina-to-marina).

Glenn.
s/v Seawing

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 17:38:02 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

The crazy thing about the GB is that they've installed an
AC stove. So...without the generator running, there's no cooking going on
(unless one travels marina-to-marina).

A lot of power boats have electric stoves and it is convenient to not
worry about carrying stove fuel. It was a real issue on our old boat
which only had one generator. We used to carry one of the little one
burner butane stoves as emergency backup. We now have a backup
generator on the new boat and end up using every now and then.

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 05:55:57 +0100 (CET), wrote:

www.propane-generators.com/eu2000i_ kits.htm

Correction to my comment about losing 10% of power, apparently this is
no longer the case with the latest conversion mod:
www.propane-generators.com/dedicated_kits.htm "This type of conversion
will produce FULL power because the carburetor is now delivering fuel at
the exact location that was engineered for the delivery of gasoline to
the engine air stream.

It happens that propane, as well as both alcohols, methanol and
ethanol, have an octane rating of 100. There is no reason not to
expect better efficiency and more power, compared to gasoline.The
carburetor designer's job is easier. You can realistically expect to
get the same near ideal mixture to all the cylinders. The perfect
fuel, actually.Historically, propane has been cheaper and there were
engines around that could use the octane..

Casady...

wrote:

[...]

The "Tuk-Tuks", motorized tri-shaws, and most of the taxis in Bangkok
have been using LPG for years. In talking with the taxi drivers they
say that costs are about half what gasoline costs but they feel that
power is slightly less.

I did notice that the conversion shown in the URL is simply a modified
carburetor while the taxis here have a somewhat more sophisticated
system that includes a "boiler", a vaporizer heated by engine coolant,
to ensure complete vaporization of the LPG, but given normal
temperatures in Bangkok I have no idea why that should be required.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)