Default Cruising Boat Generator (small)

In article . com,
"Mark R." wrote:

Weight. ... Noise. ... Fumes. ...

Another option is to install larger batteries and an inverter - suitable
for limited power needs, but otherwise nice.
(Running a 600 W microwave for 10 minutes will draw 80 A from a 12 V
battery for 10 minutes, ie some 12 Ah).
Depending on your needs this can be a good option. And cheaper as well.
Works well for me.

Marc

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 03:27:33 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 07:46:59 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

If I were planning on putting a generator in a boat I'd "ping" Larry
as he recently described a new model Honda that apparently is a DC
generator and an inverter combined. Larry says that he uses one and it
is quite and efficient.

Unfortunately that is not a marine generator that can be installed
below decks, nor it is a diesel.

Right, besides the noise, I don't like that this think can never be below
deck (gasoline). The generator and it's fuel supply always sit at the
stern
rail. Don't get me wrong, we're used to it & live with it pretty well. A
similar sized diesel system would be welcome.

Glenn.

Well, I can say from experience that you probably do not want an air
cooled diesel generator either. The previous owner of a power boat I
am rebuilding installed one. Noisy, vibrates and makes a nice heater
for the cabin when it is cold. Plus, no emergency shutdowns installed.

The problem with a fixed gen set in a 35 foot boat (I think the OP
said that) is where do you put it? I've seen them installed but
generally it turns out to be a compromise.

I watched them install a BalMar single cylinder diesel, in a 36' Cape Dory.
They put it aft of the engine which made the boat squat in the ster. Not
pretty to look at. The other thing was that if you had to get to the
steering quadrant, you had to unbolt the generator and slide it out into the
pilot berth and then squeeze by it to get to the steering and packing gland.
When the generator was running, you could hardly stand the vibration and
noise down below, but they had air conditioning.

Leanne

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 03:27:33 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

Yes, I hear you. In my case, there's lots of room. Seawing is a 41' Center
Cockpit with a large engine room. Originally there was a generator
installed, but it was dead when I bought the boat & I've removed it and used
the space for a house bank.

Glenn.

Harlan Lachman wrote:

Glenn, I have a different take than Paul. As an asthmatic with sleep
apnea, really hot humid nights are very bad for me. As you probably
know, hot, humid nights have more stuff in the air. Being in an enclosed
place and being uncomfortable...

I found it possible to run the smallest AC off my Honda 1000is
generator.

Harlan,

The generator you post is gasoline powered, not diesel. The issues of a
gasoline generator are much different. They are lighter, quieter, and
easier to manage, but you then need to transport petrol which some folks
don't wish to do including the OP.

Also even though these are very quiet by generator standards, they are,
IMO, disruptive in a completely silent anchorage, but YMMV.

-paul

In article ,
Paul Cassel wrote:

Harlan Lachman wrote:

Glenn, I have a different take than Paul. As an asthmatic with sleep
apnea, really hot humid nights are very bad for me. As you probably
know, hot, humid nights have more stuff in the air. Being in an enclosed
place and being uncomfortable...

I found it possible to run the smallest AC off my Honda 1000is
generator.

Harlan,

The generator you post is gasoline powered, not diesel. The issues of a
gasoline generator are much different. They are lighter, quieter, and
easier to manage, but you then need to transport petrol which some folks
don't wish to do including the OP.

Also even though these are very quiet by generator standards, they are,
IMO, disruptive in a completely silent anchorage, but YMMV.

-paul

Agree with all the negatives. Every one.

OTOH, they are portable (can be used for other purposes), take little
fuel, are quieter, and generate the power the original poster enquired
about.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

Paul Cassel wrote in
:

Harlan Lachman wrote:

Glenn, I have a different take than Paul. As an asthmatic with sleep
apnea, really hot humid nights are very bad for me. As you probably
know, hot, humid nights have more stuff in the air. Being in an
enclosed place and being uncomfortable...

I found it possible to run the smallest AC off my Honda 1000is
generator.

Harlan,

The generator you post is gasoline powered, not diesel. The issues of
a gasoline generator are much different. They are lighter, quieter,
and easier to manage, but you then need to transport petrol which some
folks don't wish to do including the OP.

Also even though these are very quiet by generator standards, they
are, IMO, disruptive in a completely silent anchorage, but YMMV.

-paul

I personally HATE it when I'm in an anchorage near someone who has a Honda
generator running. I find them far from quiet, especially at night if
someone is using one to keep an AC running. What ticks me off even more is
people running them at dock becuase they're too cheap to pay for a power
hookup and the marina doesn't have rules to prevent it.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 07:56:30 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

Also even though these are very quiet by generator standards, they are,
IMO, disruptive in a completely silent anchorage, but YMMV.

Just as is done with smoking, you could have segregation. Generators
here quiet over there. The generator crowd will invite those less
endowed, electricity wise, over for very cold drinks with lots of ice,
and adequate or better air conditioning. Perhaps a voluntary curfew on
unnecessary noise. Pigs might fly.

Casady

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
The problem with a fixed gen set in a 35 foot boat (I think the OP
said that) is where do you put it? I've seen them installed but
generally it turns out to be a compromise.

That size sailboat usually has such a relatively small engine anyway,
I've often wondered why someone doesn't market a combination primary
propulsion/genset. IOW, one engine that drives both the prop and the
generator. Seems it would help with the space problem as well as
weight distribution.

Rick

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
| Paul Cassel wrote in
| :
|
| Harlan Lachman wrote:
|

| Glenn, I have a different take than Paul. As an asthmatic with
sleep
| apnea, really hot humid nights are very bad for me. As you
probably
| know, hot, humid nights have more stuff in the air. Being in
an
| enclosed place and being uncomfortable...
|
| I found it possible to run the smallest AC off my Honda 1000is
| generator.
|
| Harlan,
|
| The generator you post is gasoline powered, not diesel. The
issues of
| a gasoline generator are much different. They are lighter,
quieter,
| and easier to manage, but you then need to transport petrol
which some
| folks don't wish to do including the OP.
|
| Also even though these are very quiet by generator standards,
they
| are, IMO, disruptive in a completely silent anchorage, but
YMMV.

| -paul
|
| I personally HATE it when I'm in an anchorage near someone who
has a Honda
| generator running. I find them far from quiet, especially at
night if
| someone is using one to keep an AC running. What ticks me off
even more is
| people running them at dock becuase they're too cheap to pay for
a power
| hookup and the marina doesn't have rules to prevent it.
|
| -- Geoff
| www.GeoffSchultz.org

Thank you for being a voice of sanity in this sea of selfish
assholes who think their fat bodies and comfort takes precedence
over maybe 20-30 other cruisers with anchored boats trying to enjoy
the peace and quite of a good anchorage. Good until the fat-assed,
selfish, generator-running crowd shows up, that is.Then the
anchorage begins to sound and smell more like an airport. One good
thing about those Honda generators, thought. They are light. When
the inconsiderate clods fire one up and then jump into their dinghy
to go ashore because even they can't stand the racket the light
weight makes it very easy to grab the generator and toss it
overboard. You gotta do it right, though. Don't lift it. Slowly
drag it so those black rubber feet leave skid marks. Then when the
assholes return and find their generator gone they see the skid
marks and think maybe a huge wake slid it over the side. Either way
end of problem as far as listening to all that noise.

Greg (deep-sixed over a dozen portable generators to date!)