Default Cruising Boat Generator (small)

I'm considering the addition of a small, quiet diesel generator for our
cruising boat. I have a wife eager to go back cruising again but her
requests for more power sucking conveniences has made me consider cancelling
the wind generator & solar panels in favor of a small generator. A
generator would charge the batteries, run the AC (cruising all summer too),
water maker & washer (yea, I know...but she's willing to go).

I was planning to add a K.I.S.S. wind generator & a couple larger solar
panels but am considering taking that money and putting toward a used
generator.

Two questions:

1) Any advise in choosing a generator?

2) Where to look for good used generator (Florida based boat)?

Thanks!

Glenn.
s/v Seawing

Glenn (s/v Seawing) wrote:

Two questions:

1) Any advise in choosing a generator?

2) Where to look for good used generator (Florida based boat)?

A/C on an anchor? You are talking about running a genset 100% of the
time afloat. I think that'll pretty much take all the enjoyment out of
sailing. You say a small boat - well how small? Generators, especially
diesel, are noisy. So what will you do - build it a compartment and then
line that compartment with lead sound deadening? OK, then you need to
vent it. Even so, you'll know it's running which would make me crazy.

I don't think you can get a big enough generator to power, say a
microwave and a/c, quiet enough on a 35' boat. There isn't the room
for it.

If you can't get your wife to simplify her life, get a trawler.

-paul

In article ,
Paul Cassel wrote:

Glenn (s/v Seawing) wrote:

Two questions:

1) Any advise in choosing a generator?

2) Where to look for good used generator (Florida based boat)?

A/C on an anchor? You are talking about running a genset 100% of the
time afloat. I think that'll pretty much take all the enjoyment out of
sailing. You say a small boat - well how small? Generators, especially
diesel, are noisy. So what will you do - build it a compartment and then
line that compartment with lead sound deadening? OK, then you need to
vent it. Even so, you'll know it's running which would make me crazy.

I don't think you can get a big enough generator to power, say a
microwave and a/c, quiet enough on a 35' boat. There isn't the room
for it.

If you can't get your wife to simplify her life, get a trawler.

-paul

Glenn, I have a different take than Paul. As an asthmatic with sleep
apnea, really hot humid nights are very bad for me. As you probably
know, hot, humid nights have more stuff in the air. Being in an enclosed
place and being uncomfortable...

I found it possible to run the smallest AC off my Honda 1000is
generator. I think it was a Marineaire unit. The Honda lasted long
enough to kill the heat and humidity so I could get to sleep and still
have enough juice to charge the battery so I could use my sleep apnea
machine. It was a lot quieter than I would have thought.

I happen to like sailing so a trawler would not work for me.

Marineair (http://www.marineair.com/contained/index.html) now has a
little cuddy unit that works off the batteries so the generator could
just charge them (I ran my A/C or 110, right off the generator plugged
through my shore power).

There are solutions for most problems if you look.

Harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

"Harlan Lachman" wrote in message
| In article ,
| Paul Cassel wrote:
|
| Glenn (s/v Seawing) wrote:
|
| Two questions:
|
| 1) Any advise in choosing a generator?
|
| 2) Where to look for good used generator (Florida based
boat)?

| A/C on an anchor? You are talking about running a genset 100%
of the
| time afloat. I think that'll pretty much take all the enjoyment
out of
| sailing. You say a small boat - well how small? Generators,
especially
| diesel, are noisy. So what will you do - build it a compartment
and then
| line that compartment with lead sound deadening? OK, then you
need to
| vent it. Even so, you'll know it's running which would make me
crazy.

| I don't think you can get a big enough generator to power, say
| microwave and a/c, quiet enough on a 35' boat. There isn't
the room
| for it.
|
| If you can't get your wife to simplify her life, get a trawler.
|
| -paul
|
| Glenn, I have a different take than Paul. As an asthmatic with
sleep
| apnea, really hot humid nights are very bad for me. As you
probably
| know, hot, humid nights have more stuff in the air. Being in an
enclosed
| place and being uncomfortable...
|
| I found it possible to run the smallest AC off my Honda 1000is
| generator. I think it was a Marineaire unit. The Honda lasted
long
| enough to kill the heat and humidity so I could get to sleep and
still
| have enough juice to charge the battery so I could use my sleep
apnea
| machine. It was a lot quieter than I would have thought.
|
| I happen to like sailing so a trawler would not work for me.
|
| Marineair (http://www.marineair.com/contained/index.html) now has
| little cuddy unit that works off the batteries so the generator
could
| just charge them (I ran my A/C or 110, right off the generator
plugged
| through my shore power).
|
| There are solutions for most problems if you look.

People like you make me mad. You anchor right upwind of me and the
first thing I see is a fat guy setting a red Honda generator on the
top deck of his trawler right at the back. This is the very best
place from which to broadcast noise. Then the fat man fires up the
generator, plugs in the load and the quiet generator now takes on
an aggressive, snappy tone that is very irritating for any other
anchored boat within a quarter mile. Then the fat man goes below
and says to his fat wife. "Nice and cool in here pretty soon, Hon.
Get me a beer and how about some chips and French onion dip,
please." Then the fat man pigs out and aggravates his sleep apnea
and asthma all the more. "Hon, that generator isn't very loud at
all is it? I can hardly hear it in here." In here is the key but
what about the other boats anchored around yours, you selfish twit?
What about the people who are trying to sleep under an open hatch
catching a bit of a breeze.? Noise, noise and more noise. All nite
long it grinds away. You are one rude, selfish son of a bitch.
Sickly assholes like you should stay home so you don't visit your
infirmities on healthy people who don't need air conditioning and
are physically able to enjoy the ambient conditions. You, sir, are
an asshole.

Greg

In article ,
"Gregory Hall" wrote:

> [...]

anchored boat within a quarter mile. Then the fat man goes below
and says to his fat wife. "Nice and cool in here pretty soon, Hon.
Get me a beer and how about some chips and French onion dip,
please." Then the fat man pigs out and aggravates his sleep apnea
and asthma all the more. "Hon, that generator isn't very loud at
all is it? I can hardly hear it in here." In here is the key but
what about the other boats anchored around yours, you selfish twit?
What about the people who are trying to sleep under an open hatch
catching a bit of a breeze.? Noise, noise and more noise. All nite
long it grinds away. You are one rude, selfish son of a bitch.
Sickly assholes like you should stay home so you don't visit your
infirmities on healthy people who don't need air conditioning and
are physically able to enjoy the ambient conditions. You, sir, are

Greg, as the coordinator of the AWAKE chapter up here, let me disabuse
you of the common misconception that folks with OSA are necessarily fat.
While there is a correlation with weight and menopause with OSA, it is
just a correlation. There are kids and thin folks and normal folks who
have it too.

Second, one can cool down a cabin fairly quickly with an AC since there
is such a small space. In most places once the cabin is cooled down
there is no need to keep running the AC. That still leaves the fairly
quiet small gen set running. But my guess is that that huge powerboats
in your gunkhole are what you here.

But mostly, I am sorry that the joy of cruising and sailing has left you
such an embittered, angry person.

We have one thing in common. We both hope not to share anchorages with
the other.

Harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

"Harlan Lachman" wrote in message

bs troll material deleted

[...]

Don't worry. Just say plonk. He doesn't actually sail. He's a stalker on
Usenet.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

That's what I'm talking about; charging batteries & when I'm using some item
that requires power (an appliance, water heater etc.).

I often hear folks talk about how a sailboat should have nothing electric
powered on it, beyond maybe a few lights...I also hear the same bunch
complain how their wives won't move aboard with them. Well, my wife is
willing to move aboard for winters, and in this case, for a year and a half.
I think I can reciprocate by providing her some creature comforts.

We normally don't need air conditioning, however Florida/Bahamas in the
summer time...might be nice a couple hours a day or so.

Glenn.

Harlan Lachman wrote:

Glenn, I have a different take than Paul. As an asthmatic with sleep
apnea, really hot humid nights are very bad for me. As you probably
know, hot, humid nights have more stuff in the air. Being in an enclosed
place and being uncomfortable...

I found it possible to run the smallest AC off my Honda 1000is
generator.

Harlan,

The generator you post is gasoline powered, not diesel. The issues of a
gasoline generator are much different. They are lighter, quieter, and
easier to manage, but you then need to transport petrol which some folks
don't wish to do including the OP.

Also even though these are very quiet by generator standards, they are,
IMO, disruptive in a completely silent anchorage, but YMMV.

-paul

In article ,
Paul Cassel wrote:

Harlan Lachman wrote:

Glenn, I have a different take than Paul. As an asthmatic with sleep
apnea, really hot humid nights are very bad for me. As you probably
know, hot, humid nights have more stuff in the air. Being in an enclosed
place and being uncomfortable...

I found it possible to run the smallest AC off my Honda 1000is
generator.

Harlan,

The generator you post is gasoline powered, not diesel. The issues of a
gasoline generator are much different. They are lighter, quieter, and
easier to manage, but you then need to transport petrol which some folks
don't wish to do including the OP.

Also even though these are very quiet by generator standards, they are,
IMO, disruptive in a completely silent anchorage, but YMMV.

-paul

Agree with all the negatives. Every one.

OTOH, they are portable (can be used for other purposes), take little
fuel, are quieter, and generate the power the original poster enquired
about.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

The Honda generators can be converted to run on propane. Supposedly they
lose about 10% of power as a result. But at least you do not need to
carry gasoline (although I bet we all do for our dinghies).