Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Cruising Boat Generator (small)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:10:57 -0700, "David&Joan"
wrote:

Wow, this post sure generated a s***storm of comments.

For what you want to do, I would install a small diesel genset. I
particularly like the 3.5 KW NextGen. It operates at a more reasonable 2800
rpm and is much cheaper than the bigger, heavier 1800 rpm gensets. It won't
last as long as the big 1800 rpm units, but it will do the job. And with its
integral sound enclosure, it won't be any louder.

For this application, I think diesel is essential. The gas Honda 2000i will
work but it is noisy and it will burn a lot of gas for AC cooling in the
middle of the summer. It is definitely much, much cheaper than a permanently
installed diesel genset. But most complaints about noise go away with the
permanently installed diesel genset.

The NexGen will cost about $5,000 with soundshield, about another $500 for
muffler, hoses, etc and about $2,000-$5000 to have it professionally
installed, nothing for the DIY.

David

Good advice.

Deck mounted gas generators really have no place on a boat except for
emergencies.