Default Mast wiring connectors.

On Aug 26, 2:29 pm, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:
terry wrote:

Sailing mode: A trilight at top of mast visible (ignoring angle of
heel) completely clear of sails can be seen in the appropriate
directions ...

I favor a tricolor, especially offshore, but at times a lower set of lights
for sailing can be helpful. Before the tricolor became popular, many people
did not take the time to "look up" and often missed sailboats nearby at
night, especially on bays and inshore waters. When I first fitted a
tricolor, I also rigged a DPDT switch for the sailing lights so
that "up" turned on the tricolor and "down" turned on the lower lights (r/g
at the bow and a white stern light). That way you could not make the error
of using both sets simultaneously.

Motoring. Trilight off. Operate a white anchor light physically above
the trilght and a red-green port-starboard lantern mounted at the
crosstrees about 6 to 7 feet below. White above red/green. sails will
be down.

I cannot be sure off the top of my head but there may be a requirement for
at least some fore-and-aft separation between the r/g and the "all-around"
white. It may be useful to check this in the regs. Certainly there is a
limitation on boat size with this setup.

Anchoring: If required, the single white light at top of mast.

The same comment above about tricolors may apply in your case to anchor
lights. Just about everyone uses a masthead anchor light at times, but in
harbor with dinghies buzzing around at night, there is a possibility that
some folks returning from festivities ashore may hit you because they once
again didn't "look up." One of those Davis low draw lights hanging low in
the rigging, either fore or aft, may be a good idea.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegathttp://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

Thanks for the additional comments. We have built and wired new fuse/
switch panel with 24 individual circuits so we could (to be ridiculous
and be seen) turn them all on at once!
Not mentioned previously was the intention to perhaps add a couple of
lights one on each side of the coach house where the port-starboard
lamps used to be, a couple of owners ago! These very low power lamps
could be used as you suggest but would mainly be intended to be able
to see a foothold on the side decks, going forward at night. Regarding
spacing; will check the Dept. of Transport Canada Regs. for boats
under 8 metres.

On Aug 26, 6:29 am, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:
terry wrote:

I cannot be sure off the top of my head but there may be a requirement for
at least some fore-and-aft separation between the r/g and the "all-around"
white. It may be useful to check this in the regs. Certainly there is a
limitation on boat size with this setup.

The size limit is 12 meters (~39 feet). I don't think there is any
horizontal placement requirement for the sidelights. The all-round
white probably needs to be forward of amidships. That shouldn't be a
problem on a typical rig. But, I agree that checking the regs is a
great idea. In the US the Coast Guard will answer questions on
regulations and they are the controlling authority. It might also be
nice to have a note from them to show surveyors, marina inspectors and
the like. For US sailors the regs live in 33 CFR 84 and should be
included as an annex in your copy of the rules.

I am in total agreement about the vis of lights high in the rig from
small boats or boats that are close. This problem can be worse with
some LED set-ups. At anchor lighting the deck is a good idea. We've
used garden lights on the corners of the boat though they tend to get
pretty dim by morning in the tropics. They may work better in higher
lat summers.

-- Tom.

"terry" wrote:

I was trying not to get into a discussion about the mast lights
themselves.

There really is no discussion.

You have AquaSignal and those that when they grow up want to be AquaSignal.

They meet the COLREGS.

Typical German products, they do it right.

Consider an alternate lamp for tri-color ONLY if approved to meet COLREGS,
otherwise forget it.

As far as an anchor light is concerned, don't like top of mast location.

Much prefer having anchor light hang about 10 ft above deck using forestay
and jib halyard.

Take it down and store it at daylight.

At least when the drunks come back from a night on the town, they have a
better chance of seeing a light at lower level.

Since you are adding switches, use 3PDT for "sailing" and "steaming".

Cross interlock such that: (+)---(NCsteaming)---(NOsailing)---(Tri-Color
Lamp)---(-).

Cross interlock such that: (+)---(NCsailing)---(NOsteaming)---(Steaming
Lamps)---(-).

3rd circuit has NOsailing in parallel with NOsteaming to power
instrument back lights.

The above insures that only one set of lamps can be on at one time.

Settles any legal issues before they can develop.

As far as mast wiring, hang a 7 ( #14 AWG) conductor bunch lashed to a 1/16"
S/S messenger cable inside mast.

This will prevent cable stretch, and provide spares if req'd in the future.

RG58 is for the CB radio crowd, you want the big stuff, agained lashed to a
1/16" S/S cable to prevent cable stretch and resultant change in impedance
which would then require retuning antenna.

BTW, Carling will have switches needed.

Have fun.

Lew

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:11:50 -0700, terry
wrote:

New RG58 proposed for mast head VHF whip.

RG58 is very lossy for a run to the masthead. Consider something like
this: http://www.radiobooks.com/products/rf910.htm

Otherwise you will lose over half of your power just getting to the
antenna. It makes a big difference, especially on sailboats.

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:59:01 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

There really is no discussion.

You have AquaSignal and those that when they grow up want to be AquaSignal.

They meet the COLREGS.

Typical German products, they do it right.

No question, they are very good. I had an Aquasignal tri-color on my
old sailboat and it was excellent. Never had a problem with it and we
started being noticed by commercial shipping.

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:48:47 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Unless that "reasonable person" happened to be a judge in Admiralty Court.
In gear or out, when the machinery is running, the vessel must follow motor
boat rules.

Please explain to me the difference between running an engine out of
gear to charge batteries and running a generator.

Are you saying that if you run a generator you are no longer a
sailboat? Highly unlikely. Quoting Dickens' Oliver Twist: "If that
is the law, then the law is an ass".

What say resident counselor Dave?

wrote:

Unless that "reasonable person" happened to be a judge in Admiralty Court.
In gear or out, when the machinery is running, the vessel must follow motor
boat rules.

Please explain to me the difference between running an engine out of
gear to charge batteries and running a generator.

Are you saying that if you run a generator you are no longer a
sailboat? Highly unlikely. Quoting Dickens' Oliver Twist: "If that
is the law, then the law is an ass".

What say resident counselor Dave?

Actually the USCG rules refer to

(1) A power vessel under way, defined as: The term 'power-driven
vessel' means any vessel propelled by machinery;

(2) A sailing vessel under way

and finally

(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by
machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical
shape, apex downwards. A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is
not required to exhibit this shape, but may do so. [Inld]

So it appears that the USCG does in fact differentiate between sail
boats under sail and sailboats under power by the phrase " proceeding
under sail when also being propelled by machinery" which would appear
to preclude the necessity of using a "steaming light" when simply
running engines to charge batteries, as long as the engines are not
connected to the propellers.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:02:17 +0700, wrote:

So it appears that the USCG does in fact differentiate between sail
boats under sail and sailboats under power by the phrase " proceeding
under sail when also being propelled by machinery" which would appear
to preclude the necessity of using a "steaming light" when simply
running engines to charge batteries, as long as the engines are not
connected to the propellers.

That would certainly be the common sense interpretation unless it has
been modified by some court precedent.

Part of the problem would be for either the CG or another boater from
determining if you're being propelled by machinery or just running your
engine. If the other boater picks wrong, there could be a problem.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

It's not often that I can hear another sailboat's motor running from any
distance. If the sails are sheeted in hard and they're going dead into the
wind, or if they only have the main up in light winds (again, sheeted in
hard), it is fairly obvious they're steaming. Nobody, but nobody, in any of
the places I have sailed, uses the steaming dayshape. I did for a while
until I got tired of being the only one using it and nobody knowing what it
was for. Likewise with using sound signals. Overtaking boats in the channel,
I will sometimes sound the requisite two short blasts signaling my intention
to pass to their port side. Being inland rules, I'm not "allowed" to proceed
until they respond. But they think I'm just honking at them and get all bent
out of shape and return the flying bird salute.

Sailing or not, under power or not, I tend to apply the General Prudential
Rule and assume that everyone on the water intends to run me over.

speaker connectors [email protected] Electronics 2 July 26th 07 11:07 PM
Marine connectors Andy Baguley Electronics 5 June 24th 07 12:49 PM
Icom M-601 connectors? Mika the Spamkiller Electronics 2 September 26th 05 08:19 PM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM
PL-259 connectors VHF UHF [email protected] Electronics 18 October 20th 03 08:47 PM