Default Mast wiring connectors.

On Aug 24, 4:57 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
I seem to recall reading, somewhere, that sailing vessels under 39' can
combine the stern and steaming lights into the masthead tri-color. But I may
be mistaken.

23 (c) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may, in
lieu of lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit an
all-round white light and sidelights.

Which I take to mean that you could use your mast head _anchor_ light
and sidelights under power.

-- Tom.

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 24, 4:57 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
I seem to recall reading, somewhere, that sailing vessels under 39' can
combine the stern and steaming lights into the masthead tri-color. But I
may
be mistaken.

23 (c) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may, in
lieu of lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit an
all-round white light and sidelights.

Which I take to mean that you could use your mast head _anchor_ light
and sidelights under power.

-- Tom.

The mast head and anchor lights are two different things. Mast head light
typically refers to steaming light.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...a_masthead.htm

The anchor light is a single white light visible in all directions,
indicating that the vessel is at anchor.

But, yes, you could according to 23(c).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Since vessels under 12 meters are allowed the masthead lights (red over
green) in lieu of traditional sidelights, wouldn't the masthead tricolor
(red over green over combined white) also comply with that provision?

Subject

A Tri-Color is strictly used for sailing.

An anchor light is a totally different animal.

When a sailing vessel is under power, the Tri-Color is extinguished
and a steaming configuratiom is turned on which consists of
red-green-white lights at deck level with the addition of a white
steaming light above deck level, mounted on the mast so that it does
not provide 360 degree illumination.

Lew

On Aug 24, 9:01 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
wrote in message

The mast head and anchor lights are two different things. Mast head light
typically refers to steaming light.

I know. I was trying to make sure there was no confusion because the
OP said masthead tri-color and side lights but probably meant masthead
all around light which doubtless says "anchor light" on the electrical
panel. Sadly, I seem to have just added more confusion. Sorry about
that. Anyway, I think 23 (c) is clear enough and I quoted it in full.

-- Tom.

On Aug 24, 10:55 am, " wrote:
... masthead all around light...

Right, before I get hammered by the lawyers. Strike the masthead from
that. I meant to say "all-round white light" that is at the top of
the mast and often labeled "anchor" on electrical panels. I also know
that the tri-color light is at or near the mast head rather than
"masthead"... It does seem to me that the description of the light in
question in 23 (c) is pretty nearly identical to that in 30 (b) and
that it shouldn't cause vast amounts of confusion to use them
interchangeably but I am sorry if I have offended folks by doing so.

-- Tom.

Wayne.B wrote:
...I don't believe that any reasonable person would regard
running the engine out of gear for battery charging purposes as
motoring.

Unless that "reasonable person" happened to be a judge in Admiralty Court.
In gear or out, when the machinery is running, the vessel must follow motor
boat rules.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

On Aug 24, 6:10 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

A Tri-Color is strictly used for sailing.

An anchor light is a totally different animal.

When a sailing vessel is under power, the Tri-Color is extinguished
and a steaming configuratiom is turned on which consists of
red-green-white lights at deck level with the addition of a white
steaming light above deck level, mounted on the mast so that it does
not provide 360 degree illumination.

Lew

Wow so many helpful ideas thank you.

I was trying not to get into a discussion about the mast lights
themselves.

However this was/is our plan. Which I understand complies with
Canadian/North American standards for small craft under 8 metres i.e.
26.2 feet.

Sailing mode: A trilight at top of mast visible (ignoring angle of
heel) comletely clear of sails can be seen in the appropriate
directions. Also intend to install a two filament bulb in the trilight
(it will get the most use if sailing at night) with filamants in
parallel, so that if one burns out the other will still be lit. And
not having to go up the mast.

Motoring. Trilight off. Operate a white anchor light physically above
the trilght and a red-green port-starboard lantern mounted at the
crosstrees about 6 to 7 feet below. White above red/green. sails will
be down.

Anchoring: If required, the single white light at top of mast.

Intermittent/occasional deck lighting from downward facing lights on
the crosstrees.

Other cabin and miscellaneous lighting etc. Including a recharge
outlet for a hand lantern etc.

Other circuits. Including depth sounder, GPS, VHF, CB radio, outlet
for 12 volts to a cell phone etc.

New RG58 proposed for mast head VHF whip. The old stuff is 20+ years
old . Am every famiilar with wiring (amps, volts and all that stuff),
but thanks for the reminder about using tinned wiring). I think it's
also used for trailer towing connections! Oh; and new RG8 etc to 27
megs. CB whip on the stern rail.

The major concern has been the water into the deck problem ans
subsequent damage. Using a J entry seems like the general
recommnedation and avoid connectors at bottom of the mast. Makes sense
to me.

Many thanks indeed for the comments.

Oh, by the way. Strobes are not legal AFIK for normal marine use, but
could be useful in an emergency????? Either on board our boat,
'Hypothermic survivor on board boat with strobe' or as in 'The
distress is 0.5 miles due west of my strobe'. Any ideas cos I've got
one and it looks fairly water proof if I replace any screws with
stainless ones and it only needs one additional wire up the mast?

terry wrote:

Sailing mode: A trilight at top of mast visible (ignoring angle of
heel) comletely clear of sails can be seen in the appropriate
directions ...

I favor a tricolor, especially offshore, but at times a lower set of lights
for sailing can be helpful. Before the tricolor became popular, many people
did not take the time to "look up" and often missed sailboats nearby at
night, especially on bays and inshore waters. When I first fitted a
tricolor, I also rigged a DPDT switch for the sailing lights so
that "up" turned on the tricolor and "down" turned on the lower lights (r/g
at the bow and a white stern light). That way you could not make the error
of using both sets simultaneously.

Motoring. Trilight off. Operate a white anchor light physically above
the trilght and a red-green port-starboard lantern mounted at the
crosstrees about 6 to 7 feet below. White above red/green. sails will
be down.

I cannot be sure off the top of my head but there may be a requirement for
at least some fore-and-aft separation between the r/g and the "all-around"
white. It may be useful to check this in the regs. Certainly there is a
limitation on boat size with this setup.

Anchoring: If required, the single white light at top of mast.

The same comment above about tricolors may apply in your case to anchor
lights. Just about everyone uses a masthead anchor light at times, but in
harbor with dinghies buzzing around at night, there is a possibility that
some folks returning from festivities ashore may hit you because they once
again didn't "look up." One of those Davis low draw lights hanging low in
the rigging, either fore or aft, may be a good idea.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

speaker connectors [email protected] Electronics 2 July 26th 07 11:07 PM
Marine connectors Andy Baguley Electronics 5 June 24th 07 12:49 PM
Icom M-601 connectors? Mika the Spamkiller Electronics 2 September 26th 05 08:19 PM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM
PL-259 connectors VHF UHF [email protected] Electronics 18 October 20th 03 08:47 PM