Default Donna Lange almost sinks

"KLC Lewis" wrote:
"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
news:gPoyh.9743$_d4.2937@trndny05...
KLC ,, or is that KFC ..

Look at the comments when Ken "I'm really not going around the world"
Barnes decided to stay down below rather than tend to his boat ...

I think many said he was an ill-prepared wack job.

Male or female, it makes no difference.

I idea is to take the boat from one place to another the easiest way
possible and enjoy the trip. That is why boats travel at certain times of
the year.

Donna is a nut. She is also a very interesting nut. And a brave nut. In
fact, I kinda like her.

That she is a nut is only one part of the overall picture.

I still think that there is a demon or something inside her which she is
trying to deal with. Hope she figures it out before she is dead.

======
"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Hey Roger ,,, I just looked at the web site.. she is tough, that's for
sure.... but in my opinion :: she is nuts.

I'm sorry, but she just doesn't seem normal. It is as if she has a
death wish.

I think that if she had a "death wish," we would have read of her demise
long before now. Donna Lange has my respect and admiration. And I can't
help thinking that if this was a male sailor, she wouldn't be getting
comments like that from the peanut gallery.

Karin

Is she nuts? I think a voyage like that will make someone nuts whether or
not they were nuts to start with. That's not really what I object to in your
continued commentary on Donna Lange -- it's your repeated pronouncements
that she must have a "death wish." Is she "normal"? No, she's not. Thank God
she's not "normal," because "normal" people sit at home wishing they had
half the guts this woman has, while calling her a nut case.

I don't really care what happens to her. I haven't gone to any
websites and read about her. I am not qualified to say nor do I care
whether she is in her right mind or not. I don't think it makes any
real difference that she is a woman. I don't respect her or
disrespect her.

I am going to object to something however (otherwise I would be
continue to be quiet).

Many normal people of both sexes would sit at home and NOT wish they
had the guts to do what she is doing - being perfectly happy not
pushing the envelope or at least not that particular part of the
envelope. The people that want to do, and then do do what she appears
to be doing are rare, and that's as it should be. If everyone did
what she appears to be doing, the world would be a right mess, and the
oceans would be full of broken boats and shipwrecked people.

Hi Rosie,

Rounding the cape solo in a 28 foot boat isn't
"manifestly unsafe", but it isn't exactly "safe"
either. Still, I admire her courage and pursuit
of her dream. I think she is going to make it,
and if I run into her sometime in the future I'll
be happy to buy her a drink.

There is a fellow down at our marina who
circumnavigated solo on his 37 foot boat--and he
is totally deaf. He has a lovely wife who stayed
home biting her nails and praying for him. It was
his dream, not hers so he went alone.

Don W.

Rosalie B. wrote:

I don't really care what happens to her. I haven't gone to any
websites and read about her. I am not qualified to say nor do I care
whether she is in her right mind or not. I don't think it makes any
real difference that she is a woman. I don't respect her or
disrespect her.

I am going to object to something however (otherwise I would be
continue to be quiet).

Many normal people of both sexes would sit at home and NOT wish they
had the guts to do what she is doing - being perfectly happy not
pushing the envelope or at least not that particular part of the
envelope. The people that want to do, and then do do what she appears
to be doing are rare, and that's as it should be. If everyone did
what she appears to be doing, the world would be a right mess, and the
oceans would be full of broken boats and shipwrecked people.

In article ,
Don W wrote:
Hi Rosie,

Rounding the cape solo in a 28 foot boat isn't

[snip]

There is a fellow down at our marina who
circumnavigated solo on his 37 foot boat--and he
is totally deaf. He has a lovely wife who stayed
home biting her nails and praying for him. It was
his dream, not hers so he went alone.

Don;

Are you at Serindipity Marina in Palacios?

There was another Tartan 37 there that a couple circumnavigated with.

As I was leaving, a Canadian couple had bought that boat and were
trying to fix it up. Are they still there?

ron
--
Ron Roberts or Phone (512) 219-0043
Usenet invented "no controlling legal authority."

Is she "normal"? No, she's not. Thank God
she's not "normal," because "normal" people sit at home wishing they had
half the guts this woman has, while calling her a nut case.
=====================================

I'm really trying to understand the corellation between "guts" and foolish
behavior. If one is on a seaworthy boat, fully prepared for the conditions
one will experience at sea, then that sailor is not gutsy? Yet, if one goes
out on a boat which has numerous problems, is functionally not prepared for
the conditions the boat will experience that person is "gutsy" and "brave"
but not foolish?

Doing something stupid, and surviving is not gutsy. It is just foolish
behavior. If the boat makes it to shore, as Donna has so far except when
she was rescued off of Ireland ... did you forget about this adventure ...
she is not gutsy, she is lucky.

There are many boats which are traveling around the world. They are well
prepared, they travel at the safest times of year, their crews ( as in they
have more than one which the maritime law requires ) are careful, safe,
secure, sailors.

But for some, this isn't enough. Nope,, it is better to go on and on about
this lady who is sailing by herself in a boat which has numerous issues.

And then when I or anyone else here expresses an opinion, one that differs
with your own ,, you attack the poster ( me ) personally. Why? Why are you
attacking me. Did I say that Donna was not a good sailor? I only expressed
my opinion that her behavior is foolish. And that to continue to do what
she is doing is dangerous and I wonder why she is doing it.

I think she is someone who has some issues. This is my opinion. She is
putting herself at great risk. I would not do what she is doing, not
because I am affraid, but because it sounds god awful. I prefer to enjoy
life. Not be in the middle of nowhere freezing on a boat which might sink
at any minute.

Give me a nice sail to Antigua.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
KLC ,, or is that KFC ..

Look at the comments when Ken "I'm really not going around the world"
Barnes decided to stay down below rather than tend to his boat ...

I think many said he was an ill-prepared wack job.

Male or female, it makes no difference.

I idea is to take the boat from one place to another the easiest way
possible and enjoy the trip. That is why boats travel at certain times
of the year.

Donna is a nut. She is also a very interesting nut. And a brave nut.
In fact, I kinda like her.

That she is a nut is only one part of the overall picture.

I still think that there is a demon or something inside her which she is
trying to deal with. Hope she figures it out before she is dead.

======
"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

[...]

"NE Sailboat" wrote
Ken "I'm really not going around the world" Barnes

Am I mistaken, or is one of the differences between Barnes and Lange that
Barnes wanted to make the trip non-stop?

Where do you find a "personal attack" in my response to you? In my reference
to "normal people"? Sorry, but I've never been accused of attacking someone
by calling them "normal" before, so I'm going to have to adjust to this. It
might take me some time.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
KLC ,, or is that KFC ..

Look at the comments when Ken "I'm really not going around the world"
Barnes decided to stay down below rather than tend to his boat ...

I think many said he was an ill-prepared wack job.

Male or female, it makes no difference.

I idea is to take the boat from one place to another the easiest way
possible and enjoy the trip. That is why boats travel at certain times
of the year.

Donna is a nut. She is also a very interesting nut. And a brave nut.
In fact, I kinda like her.

That she is a nut is only one part of the overall picture.

I still think that there is a demon or something inside her which she is
trying to deal with. Hope she figures it out before she is dead.

======
"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

[...]

Now that we've sunk Donna, how do we feel about Ellen MacArthur?
Gordon

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 21:46:33 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

I'm really trying to understand the corellation between "guts" and foolish
behavior. If one is on a seaworthy boat, fully prepared for the conditions
one will experience at sea, then that sailor is not gutsy?

Frankly I don't think that anyone on a small boat offshore is fully
prepared for all the surprises that are out there. You just have to
accept that there is some risk before you go. At some point
preparation becomes damage control. And that, along with a bit of
luck, separates those we hear from, and those we don't.

On Feb 7, 6:21 pm, Wayne.B wrote:

"Frankly I don't think that anyone on a small boat offshore is fully
prepared for all the surprises that are out there. You just have to
accept that there is some risk before you go. At some point
preparation becomes damage control. And that, along with a bit of
luck, separates those we hear from, and those we don't."

Replace the term "on a small boat offshore" with "living life" and you
have a very workable formula for personal success.

That's the place, and you know who I'm talking
about. I'm not sure on the status of the other
Tartan 37 as I've not met the couple that bought her.

Don W.

Ronald Hugh Roberts wrote:
In article ,
Don W wrote:

Hi Rosie,

Rounding the cape solo in a 28 foot boat isn't

[snip]

There is a fellow down at our marina who
circumnavigated solo on his 37 foot boat--and he
is totally deaf. He has a lovely wife who stayed
home biting her nails and praying for him. It was
his dream, not hers so he went alone.

Don;

Are you at Serindipity Marina in Palacios?

There was another Tartan 37 there that a couple circumnavigated with.

As I was leaving, a Canadian couple had bought that boat and were
trying to fix it up. Are they still there?

ron

Donna Lange runs aground Roger Long Cruising 26 February 1st 07 06:05 PM
Donna is more successful than Ken. Ellen MacArthur ASA 1 January 5th 07 05:35 PM
Boat sinks on shakedown cruise. Calif Bill General 4 October 18th 06 04:06 AM
Hey Neal Joe ASA 188 April 22nd 05 12:30 AM
One Man Rescued After Boat Sinks Capt. Dave General 1 January 27th 04 12:25 AM