Default Boat sinks on shakedown cruise.

http://www.katu.com/news/4386841.html

Chucks region.

Calif Bill wrote:
http://www.katu.com/news/4386841.html

Chucks region.

Glad they're OK.

Obviously purchased without a sea trial or survey prior to writing the
check.

This is a classic case of exactly why everybody stresses that a survey
is so important prior to finalizing a deal. In my personal opinion,
allowing a "shakedown cruise" doesn't cut it.
Most people will not be lucky enough or expert enought to find things
that a surveyor would note.

Wooden hulls that sit for extended periods of time can be a problem
when getting underway.
The planks can dry out and separate, and as the boat is driving through
the water the bow wave washes through the gaps above the customary, at
rest waterline. As this boat went down at the bow, I wouldn't be
surprised to discover that was the case here. Could be something else,
but that's my first guess based on knowing nothing more than the age
and circumstances of the boat.

(Chuck*Gould)wrote
[...]

I agree the boat could of sunk due to sitting too long and the bow seams
opening, I disagree that it could be the only cause in this situation.
Just because she's down by the bow means nothing, if you notice the boat
is a ex charter fishing boat, and most likely filled with foam
insulation in the lazeratte as well as a midships fishing hold. Thats
the reason its down by the bow. IMHO. UD

UglyDan®©™ wrote:
[...]

You could easily be right. I indicated that the open bow seams were a
first guess.
Did you watch the video? The fellow that was driving the boat noted
that the first sign of trouble he noticed was that the bow began to
drop, and that led me to conclude that open bow seams were a
possibility. But it is also possible that the boat was filling up with
water from some other source and a foam lining or air trapped in a fish
hold kept the stern afloat.

(As you know, it's more common for air to be trapped in the bow).

(Chuck Gould)wrote
Did you watch the video?

No Chuck, Sorry for snipping. I didn't see the video, I only saw the
pics, and thats because I could forward it to my computer, Webtv has an
excellent newsreader, but sucks at anything else.
Anybody here know how to help me out on this? I'm on msn as captuglydan
@

(As you know, it's more common for air to be trapped in the bow).

Yes I know , but she was down in the bow. Therefore out of air UD