UglyDan®©™ UglyDan®©™ is offline

Default Boat sinks on shakedown cruise.

(Chuck*Gould)wrote
Glad they're OK.
Obviously purchased without a sea trial or survey prior to writing the
check.
This is a classic case of exactly why everybody stresses that a survey
is so important prior to finalizing a deal. In my personal opinion,
allowing a "shakedown cruise" doesn't cut it. Most people will not be
lucky enough or expert enought to find things that a surveyor would
note.
Wooden hulls that sit for extended periods of time can be a problem when
getting underway.
The planks can dry out and separate, and as the boat is driving through
the water the bow wave washes through the gaps above the customary, at
rest waterline. As this boat went down at the bow, I wouldn't be
surprised to discover that was the case here. Could be something else,
but that's my first guess based on knowing nothing more than the age and
circumstances of the boat.

I agree the boat could of sunk due to sitting too long and the bow seams
opening, I disagree that it could be the only cause in this situation.
Just because she's down by the bow means nothing, if you notice the boat
is a ex charter fishing boat, and most likely filled with foam
insulation in the lazeratte as well as a midships fishing hold. Thats
the reason its down by the bow. IMHO. UD