Default Donna Lange almost sinks

Gate valve replacement - anti siphon loops - Why are they important?

Click over to www.donnalange.com and read the latest.

You armchair sailors and coastal putterers imagine sorting this stuff out
while crashing around in rough weather tired and cold and far from anywhere.
She didn't lose any of the tools or small parts in the bilge, that's what
really separates the sailors from the yachtsmen.

A tough lady who could have used a bit more systems advice before departure.
She says she hasn't used the head since before she bought the boat. Now
that's really, really, hard core

--
Roger Long

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Hey Roger ,,, I just looked at the web site.. she is tough, that's for
sure.... but in my opinion :: she is nuts.

I'm sorry, but she just doesn't seem normal. It is as if she has a death
wish.

I think that if she had a "death wish," we would have read of her demise
long before now. Donna Lange has my respect and admiration. And I can't help
thinking that if this was a male sailor, she wouldn't be getting comments
like that from the peanut gallery.

Karin

On Feb 7, 10:27 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
"NE Sailboat" wrote in message

Hey Roger ,,, I just looked at the web site.. she is tough, that's for
sure.... but in my opinion :: she is nuts.

I'm sorry, but she just doesn't seem normal. It is as if she has a death
wish.

I think that if she had a "death wish," we would have read of her demise
long before now. Donna Lange has my respect and admiration. And I can't help
thinking that if this was a male sailor, she wouldn't be getting comments
like that from the peanut gallery.

Karin

She has no death wish . . . she is simply not afraid to get out of
bed, go out of the house, and live her life. . . in other words she is
courageous. She took a decision not to simply wonder about what it
would be like, but rather to find out for herself. She has my
respect.

John

KLC Lewis wrote:

Donna Lange has my respect and admiration.
And I can't help thinking that if this was a male sailor, she
wouldn't be getting comments like that from the peanut gallery.

Hear, hear!

She may not have all the knowledge of systems that she should, but you could
say that about 95% of the boat owner's out there. She may not have had
the money to have redone her boat soup to nuts but she has gotten a lot
farther than many who did. She dealt with this stuff under difficult
circumstances and she is still going, and going, and going. (But just not
in the head

You can be just as dead sinking a quarter mile from shore. The peanut
gallery should go take a look at their own through hulls and bilge piping.

--
Roger Long

You know, from what I could see in the online listing, the voice from the
peanut gallery has a boat more capable of making a circumnavigation than
Donna's. It's the same type and next larger model as the Cape Horn wind
vane guy sailed around the world. To hear him tell it, he also has a lot
more sea time than Donna. Maybe he doesn't like to get far from home
himself but lack of respect for some one like Donna is pretty small minded.

Saying she has a death wish betrays an ignorance of the sea. Coastal waters
can be every bit as dangerous, often more so, than the open ocean. Just
this morning we got a sad reminder of what can happen to an even larger
vessel in perfect condition. There are rogue waves but the rocks and sand
are always hard and unyielding and they cover a lot more of the planet.

Even after her circumnavigation, I would have more confidence in Donna's
ability to do what she is doing now than making an extensive coastal cruise
around an area like Maine or Newfoundland. A trip like hers takes great
mental toughness, physical reserves, and preparation. Those are qualities
that can be created more quickly, if you have the raw material, than the
navigational expertise and judgement to spend weeks and months with rocks
and ledges close at hand and lee shores only a few miles away in the fog.
You'll note that she ran into South America (fortunately without damage)
when she got close to it.

--
Roger Long

KLC ,, or is that KFC ..

Look at the comments when Ken "I'm really not going around the world" Barnes
decided to stay down below rather than tend to his boat ...

I think many said he was an ill-prepared wack job.

Male or female, it makes no difference.

I idea is to take the boat from one place to another the easiest way
possible and enjoy the trip. That is why boats travel at certain times of
the year.

Donna is a nut. She is also a very interesting nut. And a brave nut. In
fact, I kinda like her.

That she is a nut is only one part of the overall picture.

I still think that there is a demon or something inside her which she is
trying to deal with. Hope she figures it out before she is dead.

======
"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Hey Roger ,,, I just looked at the web site.. she is tough, that's for
sure.... but in my opinion :: she is nuts.

I'm sorry, but she just doesn't seem normal. It is as if she has a death
wish.

I think that if she had a "death wish," we would have read of her demise
long before now. Donna Lange has my respect and admiration. And I can't
help thinking that if this was a male sailor, she wouldn't be getting
comments like that from the peanut gallery.

Karin

Roger ,, why are you making a personal attack on me? I am only expressing
my opinion.

The Cape Horn wind vane guy ?? He and I own the same model boat, same size.
One big difference. His has over $100,000 dollars of seaworthyness added to
it. Sails, electronics, redesign of cockpit, etc.

An opinion is not lack of respect. It is an opinion. When a solo sailor
goes forth in a boat which you yourself posted was ill equipped ;;;

Then the question must be asked;; why?

================================

KLC ,, or is that KFC ..

Look at the comments when Ken "I'm really not going around the world"
Barnes decided to stay down below rather than tend to his boat ...

I think many said he was an ill-prepared wack job.

Male or female, it makes no difference.

I idea is to take the boat from one place to another the easiest way
possible and enjoy the trip. That is why boats travel at certain times of
the year.

Donna is a nut. She is also a very interesting nut. And a brave nut. In
fact, I kinda like her.

That she is a nut is only one part of the overall picture.

I still think that there is a demon or something inside her which she is
trying to deal with. Hope she figures it out before she is dead.

======
"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Hey Roger ,,, I just looked at the web site.. she is tough, that's for
sure.... but in my opinion :: she is nuts.

I'm sorry, but she just doesn't seem normal. It is as if she has a
death wish.

I think that if she had a "death wish," we would have read of her demise
long before now. Donna Lange has my respect and admiration. And I can't
help thinking that if this was a male sailor, she wouldn't be getting
comments like that from the peanut gallery.

Karin

Is she nuts? I think a voyage like that will make someone nuts whether or
not they were nuts to start with. That's not really what I object to in your
continued commentary on Donna Lange -- it's your repeated pronouncements
that she must have a "death wish." Is she "normal"? No, she's not. Thank God
she's not "normal," because "normal" people sit at home wishing they had
half the guts this woman has, while calling her a nut case.

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 13:20:10 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

Is she "normal"? No, she's not. Thank God
she's not "normal," because "normal" people sit at home wishing they had
half the guts this woman has, while calling her a nut case.

Chuckle.

Donna Lange runs aground Roger Long Cruising 26 February 1st 07 06:05 PM
Donna is more successful than Ken. Ellen MacArthur ASA 1 January 5th 07 05:35 PM
Boat sinks on shakedown cruise. Calif Bill General 4 October 18th 06 04:06 AM
Hey Neal Joe ASA 188 April 22nd 05 12:30 AM
One Man Rescued After Boat Sinks Capt. Dave General 1 January 27th 04 12:25 AM