Mike

Default Marina question

I'm thinking of buying a cruiser in the near future and have some
questions on Marina use.

If you're just stopping for gas, can you discharge your grey water and
fill with fresh water at the gas stop. Is there a charge for it above
the price of gas?

Is $1.50 per foot the average price for transient berthing? Can you or
should you make reservations ahead of time?
Peggie Hall

Mike wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a cruiser in the near future and have some
questions on Marina use.

If you're just stopping for gas, can you discharge your grey water...

I assume you mean pump out the waste holding tank. Toilet waste is black
water...gray water is shower, bath and galley sink water, which isn't
held (except on two inland lakes and some specifically designated areas
of the FLKeys National Marine Sanctuary), but drains directly overboard.
"No discharge" laws pertain only to toilet waste.

and
fill with fresh water at the gas stop. Is there a charge for it above
the price of gas?

Some marinas charge extra for pumpout...I know of none that charge for
fresh water.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Kelton Joyner

Every Marina I have stopped at in the Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Leeward
and Windward Islands charged for fresh water (up to $0.50/gal) except
Great Exuma. In Great Exuma, it was free at the spring, but you have to
ferry in in jerry cans.
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

Peggie Hall wrote:
Mike wrote:

[...]

Peggie Hall

Kelton Joyner wrote:
Every Marina I have stopped at in the Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Leeward
and Windward Islands charged for fresh water (up to $0.50/gal) except
Great Exuma. In Great Exuma, it was free at the spring, but you have to
ferry in in jerry cans.
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

Thank you for sharing that information, Kelton...but since he's only
thinking of buying a boat--and a gas powered one at that--I doubt if he
was wondering about marinas in the Bahamas, VI and etc...only about
marinas in the US. Can you name one in the US that charges for water?

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Doug Dotson

North Palm Beach marina charges for water unless you
buy $15 worth of gas. The charge is only $5 for as much water
as you want though. We came across several other marinas
along the ICW that had similar policies.

Doug

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
Kelton Joyner wrote:
Every Marina I have stopped at in the Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Leeward
and Windward Islands charged for fresh water (up to $0.50/gal) except
Great Exuma. In Great Exuma, it was free at the spring, but you have to
ferry in in jerry cans.
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

Thank you for sharing that information, Kelton...but since he's only
thinking of buying a boat--and a gas powered one at that--I doubt if he
was wondering about marinas in the Bahamas, VI and etc...only about
marinas in the US. Can you name one in the US that charges for water?

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Jere Lull

Peggie Hall wrote:

Kelton Joyner wrote:

Every Marina I have stopped at in the Bahamas, Virgin Islands,
Leeward and Windward Islands charged for fresh water (up to
$0.50/gal) except Great Exuma. In Great Exuma, it was free at the
spring, but you have to ferry in in jerry cans.
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

Thank you for sharing that information, Kelton...but since he's only
thinking of buying a boat--and a gas powered one at that--I doubt if
he was wondering about marinas in the Bahamas, VI and etc...only about
marinas in the US. Can you name one in the US that charges for water?

Unluckily, yes. Annapolis (forget name of place) started charging this
season and I believe St. Michaels' City Dock was charging. Some of the
uppity ones are charging for trash, or at least being nasty about it.

--
Jere Lull

Doug Dotson

Jere,

We just reopened our business in a marina and are being charged for trash
removal. Turns out that it costs $80 each time our dumpster is emptied and
that's is twice a week. I have no problem if a marina charges a buck or two
for trash disposal. On a busy weekend, anchored out boats can easily fill
a dumpster. Why should the marina bear the cost? Same thing with water
as long as the rate is fair.

Doug

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
news
Peggie Hall wrote:

Kelton Joyner wrote:

Every Marina I have stopped at in the Bahamas, Virgin Islands,
Leeward and Windward Islands charged for fresh water (up to
$0.50/gal) except Great Exuma. In Great Exuma, it was free at the
spring, but you have to ferry in in jerry cans.
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

Thank you for sharing that information, Kelton...but since he's only
thinking of buying a boat--and a gas powered one at that--I doubt if
he was wondering about marinas in the Bahamas, VI and etc...only about
marinas in the US. Can you name one in the US that charges for water?

Unluckily, yes. Annapolis (forget name of place) started charging this
season and I believe St. Michaels' City Dock was charging. Some of the
uppity ones are charging for trash, or at least being nasty about it.

--
Jere Lull

Vito

Jere Lull wrote:

... Some of the uppity ones are charging for trash, or at least being nasty about it.

After all, they have to pay the mob to haul it south for them )c:
Steve

Speaking of trash..

I was surprised then they wanted to charge me $3.50 for a small bag of trash
at the dock at Deer Harbor in the San Juans, WA.

It these local communities want to encourage visits by boater and want these
boaters to refrain from tossing trash in the water or in the woods, there
shouldn't be any charge for trash.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jack Rye

Your best bet on transit slips is to join a local yacht club. You can then
use the reciprocal privileges and stay for free up to a week at other yacht
clubs around the country. I belong to one and am able to stay for free or
vary few dollars. Using the reciprocal privileges and facilities of the
other clubs.
Just make sure that you join a club that has great reciprocal privileges
around the country.

Jack