Jodon2

Default New Jersey refueling question......

I'm sorry for being off topic but I cant seem to get an answer to my question.
Hoping other boaters will help. I just bought a boat and it is in a municipal
area with slips, not a marina. Can I refuel the boat out of 5 gal approved
cans? I hate paying $1.99 a gal at a marina. What is the law if any. Thanks,
Joe. Sorry for being off topic.
Gfretwell

If you have an outboard with external tanks,

Built in tank
DownTime

It depends, but my guess is most marinas will discourage or flat out deny
you. Look at it from their perspective for a minute. Do you bring your own
food to a restaurant and ask to use their kitchen? How much gas are you
talking about? Are you really saving that much money in terms of the time
and effort to port a few gallons?

If you save .50 on 30 gallons, you are at $15. I look at it this way, I have
limited amount of time to enjoy my boat, so why waste any of it? My time is
more valuable to me than the amount I save by doing it all myself. Think of
what you might save in that regard the next time you get to the marina and
your boat is gassed and ready for you to step on and go.

p.s. I now have my boat behind my house on a lift, but I used to keep one at
a marina.

"Jodon2" wrote in message
I'm sorry for being off topic but I cant seem to get an answer to my

question.
Hoping other boaters will help. I just bought a boat and it is in a

municipal
area with slips, not a marina. Can I refuel the boat out of 5 gal approved
cans? I hate paying $1.99 a gal at a marina. What is the law if any.

Thanks,
Joe. Sorry for being off topic.

Paul Schilter

Joe,
You might be interested in a gas caddy. Page 500 in current Boat US
catalog. They have a 11 gallon model for $130 and 28 gallon model for $300.
I have a buddy that has one but he lives on a canal.
Paul

"Jodon2" wrote in message
I'm sorry for being off topic but I cant seem to get an answer to my

question.
Hoping other boaters will help. I just bought a boat and it is in a

municipal
area with slips, not a marina. Can I refuel the boat out of 5 gal approved
cans? I hate paying $1.99 a gal at a marina. What is the law if any.

Thanks,
Joe. Sorry for being off topic.

Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:
Sure. It's fine. Just accept the fact that if you spill gas in the water,
anyone who feels like it has a perfect right to kick your ass, toss you in
the water where you spilled, and toss in a match. The medical bills could
begin to eat away at whatever you save on the gas.

"Jodon2" wrote in message
I'm sorry for being off topic but I cant seem to get an answer to my

question.
Hoping other boaters will help. I just bought a boat and it is in a

municipal
area with slips, not a marina. Can I refuel the boat out of 5 gal approved
cans? I hate paying $1.99 a gal at a marina. What is the law if any.

Thanks,
Joe. Sorry for being off topic.

There are some intere$ting penaltie$ for fuel spill$.
Check it out.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Doug Kanter

Actually, I haven't spilled a drop in 4 years of boat ownership. Try harder.
I'm sick & tired of telling my son that one body of water or another isn't
clean enough to swim or fish in, because of some lame asshole or corporation
who thought they had some sort of exemption from being considerate of
others.

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Sure. It's fine. Just accept the fact that if you spill gas in the

water,
anyone who feels like it has a perfect right to kick your ass, toss you

in
the water where you spilled, and toss in a match. The medical bills

could
begin to eat away at whatever you save on the gas.

Well - you are quite the asshole, aren't you.

Spills are a hazard no matter where you fill your tanks. I suppose if
YOU spill gas at a gas dock, setting you ablaze would be appropriate.

I hauled 45 gallons of gas down to my boat on Friday. 15 gallons at a
time. Took about an hour of my time since the retailer is only 5
minutes away. I saved about $15 (You're lucky in this area to find
mid-grade at less than $2/gal at a gas station, let alone a marina).

If there are local regulations against it, then you can't. But it can
be done safely. There is no good reason to assume that filling from
appropriate containers is any more prone to spills that using a 10 gpm
nozzle from a pump.

The same procedures apply. Close doors, hatches, windows. Turn off
all electrical equipment (including the blower). Ventilate properly
when fueling is finished, and check for fuel vapors before turning
anything on.

I will add that I don't care for these new CARB approved gas cans that
are being sold in California. I have found that the one I have have
is more prone to spill small amounts than my older, conventional cans.
I tolerate the flow rate of 2 gpm, but those hokey spring loaded
spouts drip when you upend the can to start the transfer. Not enough
of spill to reach the water, but I hate the dribble on my wood. I now
keep a pair of scissors with the adsorbant pads I use. I cut a small
criss-cross near the edge a pad to make a "bib" that fits around my
fill pipe.

"Jodon2" wrote in message
I'm sorry for being off topic but I cant seem to get an answer to my

question.
Hoping other boaters will help. I just bought a boat and it is in a

municipal
area with slips, not a marina. Can I refuel the boat out of 5 gal

approved
cans? I hate paying $1.99 a gal at a marina. What is the law if any.

Thanks,
Joe. Sorry for being off topic.

Scott Downey

I have 2 150 gallon tanks, a total of 300 gallons in my boat and it can suck
down most of that quickly when running hard.
I could save quite a bit on gas if I could haul that much to the boat

Perhaps a better solution is to get some friends who like to go boating with
you and can share the cost of fuel. Anyone who likes boating ought to be
willing to share some of the costs. It is only fair.

om...

"Jodon2" wrote in message
I'm sorry for being off topic but I cant seem to get an answer to my

question.
Hoping other boaters will help. I just bought a boat and it is in a

municipal
area with slips, not a marina. Can I refuel the boat out of 5 gal

approved
cans? I hate paying $1.99 a gal at a marina. What is the law if any.

Thanks,
Joe. Sorry for being off topic.

Long Island Sound wave height question Chris General 7 September 1st 03 03:48 PM
Group newbie with a prop question... WildestDream General 4 August 29th 03 05:30 AM
Transom Height - Dumb Question Alert Michael Gagliardi General 0 August 28th 03 07:31 PM
Prop Question... Part II Matt General 1 July 24th 03 01:58 AM
malibu response question J.W. Frank General 26 July 11th 03 02:26 AM