Chris

Default Long Island Sound wave height question

Heading out on the sound to do some kayaking in the near future and I have a
question. This situation is completely hypothetical: If the National Weather
Service forecasts winds of 15-20kts from the north on Long Island Sound and
wave heights of say....2-3ft, does this mean that these max wave heights will
be on the north shore of Long Island, considering the wind direction? So when
I read NWS wave height forecasts for the sound, should I take off or add to
them based on which shore I am on relative to the wind direction? Thanks in
advance to anyone that is able to help.

Chris

Chris

When you listen to the Marine weather they will tell you wave hights on the
sound and in the ocean.

I know, my question was more complicated. If the marine forecast says wave
heights on the sound will be 2-3ft, is that for the middle of the sound or
what? Because I would think that if these 2-3ft waves were being produced by a
north wind that the highest waves would be at the southern end of the sound
near Long Island. Accordingly I would also think that the CT shore would have
nearly flat seas in that situation. Anyone got any ideas?

Chris
Backyard Renegade

ospam (Chris) wrote in message ...
Heading out on the sound to do some kayaking in the near future and I have a
question. This situation is completely hypothetical: If the National Weather
Service forecasts winds of 15-20kts from the north on Long Island Sound and
wave heights of say....2-3ft, does this mean that these max wave heights will
be on the north shore of Long Island, considering the wind direction? So when
I read NWS wave height forecasts for the sound, should I take off or add to
them based on which shore I am on relative to the wind direction? Thanks in
advance to anyone that is able to help.

Chris

I do not have a definitive answer for you on this and honestly, I
don't actually pop out of the CT River into the sound all that often,
but no one else has chimed in here so I will.

I live a couple of miles from the sound and boat a lot in the River, I
talk a lot to other boaters who have grown up on the sound all their
lives. One thing they all have always told me is the sound can not be
forcasted, if they say 1-2 foot waves do not discount a bunch of 5
footers, from who knows where... or a squall from the same place. They
all tell me, even in good weather you should be in a boat and have the
ability to handle that boat in 5 footers if necessary. Sometimes I
scoff at them when they tell me the 20 footer I am building is not
really big enough for the sound because of the way things come up so
fast.. and they just snarl at me. Take it for what it is worth.
Scotty

LaBomba182

Subject: Long Island Sound wave height question

When you listen to the Marine weather they will tell you wave hights on the
sound and in the ocean.

I know, my question was more complicated. If the marine forecast says wave
heights on the sound will be 2-3ft, is that for the middle of the sound or
what? Because I would think that if these 2-3ft waves were being produced by
north wind that the highest waves would be at the southern end of the sound
near Long Island. Accordingly I would also think that the CT shore would
have
nearly flat seas in that situation. Anyone got any ideas?

Chris

I am temped to say, if you don't understand the relationship between winds and
land masses then perhaps you shouldn't be out in a small vessel like a kayak.

But, the waves will of course get smaller the closer you get to a lee. Just
remember that the lee can change very fast with any wind shift.
Also be aware that the marine weather forecast is notorious for being
conservative in their wave height estimates.

Capt. Bill
Chris

I am temped to say, if you don't understand the relationship between winds
and
land masses then perhaps you shouldn't be out in a small vessel like a kayak.

I do understand. I was just curious about the perspective the NWS uses in
their forecasts. Thanks for the info.

Chris
Wayne B

(Backyard Renegade) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I've been out a few times in a 24 footer with high freeboard
and full canvas, wishing I was somewhere else. One of those
times was right outside the breakwater at Old Saybrook.