Ron Thornton

Default Marina question

In Virginia, marinas are not allowed to make a profit on electricity.
They can only charge for their cost to distribute plus their cost from
the utility. I wonder if that goes for water and/or trash too.

Ron

Peggie Hall

Ron Thornton wrote:
In Virginia, marinas are not allowed to make a profit on electricity.
They can only charge for their cost to distribute plus their cost from
the utility.

That may have to do with the source of their electricity. If it's
supplied by an electric cooperative--which are common in rural areas,
neither the co-op nor its customers are allowed to make a profit...as
you said, they can only pass along their actual costs. I learned about
the differences between public utility power companies and electric
co-ops about 10 years ago when a marina in on Lanier in GA who had been
marking up their power bills to slip holders had to decrease the
price--and, IIRC, also had to credit their accounts for at a portion of
the amounts they'd been over-charging 'em.

I wonder if that goes for water and/or trash too.

Unlikely unless also supplied by a co-op.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Jack Rye

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has announced a total of $4,395,115 in
grants to eight States to help improve docking facilities for transient,
non-trailerable boats along the navigable waterways of the United States.

Following the competitive process, the Service announced the following BIG
grants:

Florida

Tampa Convention Center, Tampa Bay, for new transient docking facilities
($250,000)
Louisiana

Bucktown Harbor Marina, Lake Pontchartrain, for new transient docking
facilities ($407,000)
Cypress Cove Marina, Mississippi River, for new transient docking
facilities ($200,000)

Mississippi

Coleman State Park, Tennessee River, for repairing harbor dike and adding
safety features for transient boaters ($224,000)
Ohio

Middle Bass Island State Park, to install 60 transient slips, completing
work initiated with BIG program funds in 2001 ($861,383)
Oregon

Port of Astoria, Columbia River, construct and renovate transient docking
facilities ($354,750)
South Carolina

Charleston City Dock, Ashley River, for new transient docking facilities
($1,198,000)
Virginia

Yorktown Harbor, York River, Chesapeake Bay, for new transient docking
facilities ($600,000)
Washington

Hanford Reach Gateway Dock, Columbia River, for new transient docking
facilities ($299,982)

Jack
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
(Mike) wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a cruiser in the near future and have some
questions on Marina use.

If you're just stopping for gas, can you discharge your grey water and
fill with fresh water at the gas stop. Is there a charge for it above
the price of gas?

Depending on the type of boat - diesel is really the fuel of choice.

Is $1.50 per foot the average price for transient berthing? Can you or
should you make reservations ahead of time?

Having read this thread, I'm going to answer the questions others have
brought up all at once.

1) Pumpout as Peggy says is black water and not grey water. I don't think
you'd put even grey water in your fresh water tanks, so you don't refill
the tanks BTW. People charge for pumpout regardless of whether you have
stopped for gas or are spending the night. Sometimes it is as little as
$5. Sometimes it is much more. Sometimes it is not even available.

2) Filling up with fresh water - yes Peggy there are places in the US that
charge for that - Marathon in the Florida Keys charges for water.

3) Small gasoline powered boats can and do go to the Bahamas from Florida
all the time. It is only 42 miles from Miami.

Many places in the Bahamas have R/O water at to the docks and it is almost
always charged for. Many places have a mandatory water charge. That's
because people will say - no I won't need water - and then they'll sneak
out at night and wash the salt off their boat. Sometimes the water at the
docks is brackish and not suitable for drinking. In Nassau it is trucked
in from Andros and tastes like swimming pool water - it isn't suitable for
making coffee or tea.

4) I find the average price for a transient slip along the ICW is $1.00/ft
plus electricity and taxes. Some places are free - some charge less and
some charge more. That's from Virginia down to Florida. I would regard
$1.50/foot as too much to pay and wouldn't go there.

5) There are very few yacht clubs that do the exchange thing anymore, and
IMHO it is way more expensive to join a club where you could do that than
it is just to pay for a slip. I've only been a few places where I could
not get any slip except at a yacht club which only took other yacht club
members. Transient slips at marinas are NOT generally run by the local
government and are NOT only 50cents /ft including water and electric.

6) Some places with transient docking do not take reservations - it is
first come first serve. In other places you can make reservations but

they
don't always honor them. Or you can guarantee them with a credit card.
But I've made a reservation and done that, and ended up on the gas dock
because people that were going to leave - didn't.

7) Most of the time if you pay for dockage you get trash disposal as a

part
of the fee. However if you anchor out and come into the dinghy dock you
may be charged for trash disposal and also for used of the showers and
other facilities. This varies according to the area.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
"Jack Rye" .# wrote:

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has announced a total of $4,395,115 in
grants to eight States to help improve docking facilities for transient,
non-trailerable boats along the navigable waterways of the United States.

Following the competitive process, the Service announced the following BIG
grants:

That's good news - I think.

I have not been on the Gulf Coast, the West Coast, the Great Lakes or
on any fresh water at all. I have no experience of any of the marinas
on the list except that I did stay once at the York River marina (if
that is the one on Sarah Creek) and thought it was way overpriced,
especially the restaurant. I would not have thought that they needed
any extra money for anything - a very yuppie place.

I have stayed at some municipal marinas - Crisfield, MD, Titusville,
Ft. Pierce, St. Augustine, Fernandina Beach, and New Smyrna Beach
Florida, Beaufort SC, and I think Miamarina in Miami is also a
municipal or county marina. Some of them (most of them) are
wonderful. I don't think much of the St. Augustine one. None of them
charged as little as 50 cents a foot.

I've also stayed at some really cheap marinas and even some places
that were free. The Visitor's Center in the Dismal Swamp, Elizabeth
City NC, Barefoot Landing and while it is for sale apparently Robb's
in Belhaven are free but have no electricity or other services. Ross
Marine in SC, and the docks at McClellanville are very cheap. Some
places you can get moorings for less, and usually (but not always)
anchoring is free.

[...]

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
(Mike) wrote:

[...]

http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/
Doug Dotson

Check out Bucksport Plantation Marina, SC. $0.50 foot and
very friendly. Nice restaurant as well. Got stuck there for 7
days because our 62' mast couldn't get under the 65' fixed
bridge just north of there.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes
"Jack Rye" .# wrote:

[...]

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
(Mike) wrote:

[...]

Ron Thornton

No co-op here. Only Dominion Power. I think it has to do with the way
utilities are licensed and regulated.

Ron

Phil

Doug,
I'll second that, Bucksport was great. We stopped there in January on the
way home to NC from FL. The dockage was cheap and so was the fuel. The meal
we had at the restaraunt was the best one we have had yet and we were the
only ones there. They treated us like part of the family.
Phil

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
Check out Bucksport Plantation Marina, SC. $0.50 foot and
very friendly. Nice restaurant as well. Got stuck there for 7
days because our 62' mast couldn't get under the 65' fixed
bridge just north of there.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes
"Jack Rye" .# wrote:

[...]

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
(Mike) wrote:

[...]

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes "Doug Dotson" wrote:

Check out Bucksport Plantation Marina, SC. $0.50 foot and
very friendly. Nice restaurant as well. Got stuck there for 7
days because our 62' mast couldn't get under the 65' fixed
bridge just north of there.

I've never been there - the docks look pretty rickety to me. I've
heard it recommended for the sausage, but I don't like sausage so I've
never tried it. We usually go to Wacca Wachee just a bit down from
there. Last time we went we got a ride over to Brookgreen Gardens.

Leland Marine in McClellansville is also pretty cheap, but they have
fixed docks and a 6 foot tide.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
x-no-archive:yes
"Jack Rye" .# wrote:

[...]

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
(Mike) wrote:

[...]

Steve

Speaking of trash..

I was surprised then they wanted to charge me $3.50 for a small bag of trash
at the dock at Deer Harbor in the San Juans, WA.

It these local communities want to encourage visits by boater and want these
boaters to refrain from tossing trash in the water or in the woods, there
shouldn't be any charge for trash.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Doug Dotson

But then the marina would have to get the city to pay to have the
trash hauled out of the marina. The marina charges because they
have to pay to get rid of your trash. If the local communties want
to encourage visits, then they have to somehow help defray the costs
incurred by the marina for such visits. In the case of trash, someone
has to pay the trash company for their services. Marina, city, or
cruiser. Who produces the trash, so who should to pay to dispose of it?
I have to pay for it where I live, so why should I expect someone
else to pay for it if I need to get rid of it where I travel?

Doug
s/v Callista