Peggie Hall

Default Marina question -- Trash

Welll...all I can say is, I'll be damned. 'Cuz this is the first I've
heard of ANY marina in the US charging for water. I can understand
charging to drop your garbage off--although in fairness, that ought to
be by the pound--dumpster service is expensive... And I can also
understand why marinas that aren't connected to a sewer charging for a
second pumpout to rinse out a tank, 'cuz pumper trucks cost even more
than dumpster trucks. But do these same marinas also charge to hose fuel
or pumpout drips off your boat?

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Doug Dotson

Peggie,

The dumpster companies don't charge by weight so that doesn't
really make sense. They charge per pickup which is generally on
a schedule or when the client requests. The only savings the client
has is to wait until it is really full. Something you can see on a busy
weekend when the trash is piled all around the dumpster. Once
the dumpster is emptied, the client has to toss all the stuff piled
around in for the next pickup. More money invested by the marina
for no return. Max cost per pumpout is dictated by the FEDs since
most of the pumpouts were installed via grants and last
I knew it was $5. Rinsing is just part of the process. Charging for
drips is just silly I believe.

Doug

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
Welll...all I can say is, I'll be damned. 'Cuz this is the first I've
heard of ANY marina in the US charging for water. I can understand
charging to drop your garbage off--although in fairness, that ought to
be by the pound--dumpster service is expensive... And I can also
understand why marinas that aren't connected to a sewer charging for a
second pumpout to rinse out a tank, 'cuz pumper trucks cost even more
than dumpster trucks. But do these same marinas also charge to hose fuel
or pumpout drips off your boat?

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Rick & Linda Bernard

Default Marina question

I have heard that a lot of the water in the Bahamas is reverse osmosis
water. That water is not cheap to make.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
Jere,

We just reopened our business in a marina and are being charged for trash
removal. Turns out that it costs $80 each time our dumpster is emptied and
that's is twice a week. I have no problem if a marina charges a buck or

two
for trash disposal. On a busy weekend, anchored out boats can easily fill
a dumpster. Why should the marina bear the cost? Same thing with water
as long as the rate is fair.

Doug

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
news
Peggie Hall wrote:

Kelton Joyner wrote:

Every Marina I have stopped at in the Bahamas, Virgin Islands,
Leeward and Windward Islands charged for fresh water (up to
$0.50/gal) except Great Exuma. In Great Exuma, it was free at the
spring, but you have to ferry in in jerry cans.
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

Thank you for sharing that information, Kelton...but since he's only
thinking of buying a boat--and a gas powered one at that--I doubt if
he was wondering about marinas in the Bahamas, VI and etc...only about
marinas in the US. Can you name one in the US that charges for water?

Unluckily, yes. Annapolis (forget name of place) started charging this
season and I believe St. Michaels' City Dock was charging. Some of the
uppity ones are charging for trash, or at least being nasty about it.

--
Jere Lull

Doug Dotson

That's true. Most of the water we found was RO water. Still not all
that expensive though. $0.15/gal was typical. The real tough one was at
Treasure Cay that charged $8.00/day flat rate for water and + $17/day
for electric. One of the places in Marsh Harbor used to sell water by the
gallon to boats at anchor (bring your jugs, etc), but stopped doing it.
Another one sold water to $5 for all you wanted to fill your tanks,
wash your dog, wash you boat, but you had to tie your boat up
to their dock during the process. Tough for us except at high tide.
All in all, water wasn't all that much trouble. Trash disposal wasn't
much trouble either. Most places were either free or a buck per bag.
Pretty fair IMHO.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in message
I have heard that a lot of the water in the Bahamas is reverse osmosis
water. That water is not cheap to make.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
Jere,

We just reopened our business in a marina and are being charged for

trash
removal. Turns out that it costs $80 each time our dumpster is emptied

and
that's is twice a week. I have no problem if a marina charges a buck or

two
for trash disposal. On a busy weekend, anchored out boats can easily

fill
a dumpster. Why should the marina bear the cost? Same thing with water
as long as the rate is fair.

Doug

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
news
Peggie Hall wrote:

Kelton Joyner wrote:

[...]

Jack Rye

Interesting thread, charge for water, and garbage. You may want to spend a
night in the local marinas transient slips. They usually charge about 0.50
cents a foot and include the water and electric. Transient slips are run by
the city county or state. They have ample facilities including waist
pump-out and trash dumpsters. So look around and see what's available in
your area.

Jack
"Mike" wrote in message

I'm thinking of buying a cruiser in the near future and have some
questions on Marina use.

If you're just stopping for gas, can you discharge your grey water and
fill with fresh water at the gas stop. Is there a charge for it above
the price of gas?

Is $1.50 per foot the average price for transient berthing? Can you or
should you make reservations ahead of time?

Peggie Hall

Doug Dotson wrote:

Max cost per pumpout is dictated by the FEDs since
most of the pumpouts were installed via grants and last
I knew it was $5.

That's how it's supposed to work anyway...but no one is monitoring it
and the marinas who can get away with charging more are.

Rinsing is just part of the process. Charging for
drips is just silly I believe.

Rinsing off, yes...but I was referring to rinsing out the tank by adding
some water to it after pumpout to stir up any sludge and pumping that
out. A LOT of marinas charge for a second pumpout to rinse out the tank,
even if only a few gallons of water go into the tank. My own YC did (and
I assume still does).

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Jere Lull

Peggie Hall wrote:

Welll...all I can say is, I'll be damned. 'Cuz this is the first I've
heard of ANY marina in the US charging for water.

Not many, and all that I mentioned have easy access to city water. I
agree with fair and reasonable charges for water that has to be made,
trucked or shipped, BUT they charge more for city water than RO in the
islands.

All are in so-called "premium" destinations though they're services are
only average, so my best guess is that they're simply charging what the
market will bear for whatever they can get away with for as long as they
can.

--
Jere Lull

Rosalie B.

(Mike) wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a cruiser in the near future and have some
questions on Marina use.

If you're just stopping for gas, can you discharge your grey water and
fill with fresh water at the gas stop. Is there a charge for it above
the price of gas?

Depending on the type of boat - diesel is really the fuel of choice.

Is $1.50 per foot the average price for transient berthing? Can you or
should you make reservations ahead of time?

Having read this thread, I'm going to answer the questions others have
brought up all at once.

1) Pumpout as Peggy says is black water and not grey water. I don't think
you'd put even grey water in your fresh water tanks, so you don't refill
the tanks BTW. People charge for pumpout regardless of whether you have
stopped for gas or are spending the night. Sometimes it is as little as
$5. Sometimes it is much more. Sometimes it is not even available.

2) Filling up with fresh water - yes Peggy there are places in the US that
charge for that - Marathon in the Florida Keys charges for water.

3) Small gasoline powered boats can and do go to the Bahamas from Florida
all the time. It is only 42 miles from Miami.

Many places in the Bahamas have R/O water at to the docks and it is almost
always charged for. Many places have a mandatory water charge. That's
because people will say - no I won't need water - and then they'll sneak
out at night and wash the salt off their boat. Sometimes the water at the
docks is brackish and not suitable for drinking. In Nassau it is trucked
in from Andros and tastes like swimming pool water - it isn't suitable for
making coffee or tea.

4) I find the average price for a transient slip along the ICW is $1.00/ft
plus electricity and taxes. Some places are free - some charge less and
some charge more. That's from Virginia down to Florida. I would regard
$1.50/foot as too much to pay and wouldn't go there.

5) There are very few yacht clubs that do the exchange thing anymore, and
IMHO it is way more expensive to join a club where you could do that than
it is just to pay for a slip. I've only been a few places where I could
not get any slip except at a yacht club which only took other yacht club
members. Transient slips at marinas are NOT generally run by the local
government and are NOT only 50cents /ft including water and electric.

6) Some places with transient docking do not take reservations - it is
first come first serve. In other places you can make reservations but they
don't always honor them. Or you can guarantee them with a credit card.
But I've made a reservation and done that, and ended up on the gas dock
because people that were going to leave - didn't.

7) Most of the time if you pay for dockage you get trash disposal as a part
of the fee. However if you anchor out and come into the dinghy dock you
may be charged for trash disposal and also for used of the showers and
other facilities. This varies according to the area.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
Doug Dotson

Generally, if you take a slip then trash, water, etc is included (not so
in the Bahamas). I was referring to these services used by boat in nearby
anchorages. I might not have stated that explicitly.

Doug

"Mike" wrote in message

I'm thinking of buying a cruiser in the near future and have some
questions on Marina use.

If you're just stopping for gas, can you discharge your grey water and
fill with fresh water at the gas stop. Is there a charge for it above
the price of gas?

Is $1.50 per foot the average price for transient berthing? Can you or
should you make reservations ahead of time?

Vito

Jere Lull wrote:

... Some of the uppity ones are charging for trash, or at least being nasty about it.

After all, they have to pay the mob to haul it south for them )c: