Doug Dotson

Default Kalik

Well, we now have it here. Maybe the states in between FL and MD will
start to fill in.

Doug

"Phil" wrote in message
m...
The only thing interesting and usful in this whole "Marina Question"

string
is about the beer!! We bought it everywhere in FL and it's maybe $6 or $7

6 pack. I wish we had it in NC.mmmmmmmmmmmmmm beer!!!!

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:

... ... ALERT, ALERT... Just picked up a case of KALIK at my local
liquor store. They have finally started importing to our area. Alot

cheaper
than the $35/case in Marsh Harbor! Life is good again! We carried 2

cases
all the way from Marsh Harbor to home last spring. Much easier this

way!

???? HOW can it be cheaper in the US than in the islands where, I
believe, it's produced -- AND where there's a hefty tax on top of
shipping...????

Doug: Could you check on a bottle and see where yours was produced?
Could this be a "produced under authority of...." type of thing?

--
Jere Lull

Vito

Default Marina question

anonymous wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:09:14 -0400, Vito said:

How that equates to charging non-users instead of users escapes me.

Your frame of reference is too narrow. What Peggy was talking about was
charging boats that use electricity at cost. But one cost of any business is
profit.

Thlatter is simply not true. Profit is not a business expense it's an
investment incentive. There were (and still are) many needed services
that simply do not offer enough profit potential to interest investors,
so folks needing a service(s) formed their own nonprofit companies to
provide it. Their need replaced profit as an incentive for them to
invest. This proved so popular that the Government defined a special
class of nonprofit corporation - the co-op - with standardized rules.
Co-ops are simply non-profit corp.s operating under rules set for
Government convenience. The 1000s of corporations operating sans profit
disprove that "one cost of any business is profit".

Marinas must offer something to attract customers. Collecting for those
services IS a business cost but how the owner does that is his
prerogative. Also, the prices he charges are based on customer demand,
NOT his cost of providing service. It costs less to build and maintain
slips adjacent to shore yet such slips rent for more than those out near
the end of an expensive pier. The marina I use doesn't charge for
electricity or water per se, it is included in slip fees. Ditto every
motel I ever stayed in. Some use more than their neighbors but in the
owner's experience that difference is too negligible to warrant the cost
of seperate collection, not to mention the cost of 100s of meters, one
at each slip, which must ultimately be passed on to his customers as
higher prices; making his marina less attractive. If I'm so worried
about subsidizing my neighbor's electricity that I'd prefer to pay
higher rent in a place with meters, then I can and should move to one.
After all, voting with my $$$ is capitalism in action, right?

If the owner of Ms Peggy's marina wants to make a profit on electricity
he can; he just cannot buy it from a co-op first. All he needs is his
own small reactor and ..... (c:
Jack Rye

Mein furher wo Kunst thou. As to Mein Kamph it was an interesting book so
was the writings of Neiche, Mao's little red book, and lets not forget the
articles from 1905 to 1952 of Joseph Stalin. Of course the Fed Chairman
Alan Greenspan Said Clintons economic ideas of strengthening the economy
would not work and fail miserablely. Keep telling yourself that VooDoo
economics worked for Regan and now Bush. While you waist away your money. As
for gravity, it's only an illusion done with smoke and mirrors. Keep
sailing on the flat world. When you get to the edge. You can just keep going
with your logic.

I still read over 100 books a year. Would you like to try for someting I
haven't read?

Jack

"anonymous" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:49:05 -0700, "Jack Rye"
.# said:

Here is a list of CO-OPS May be you should start with the mission

statement,
then go to history, then the annual meeting

And would you suggest that the best reference for the background of WWII
would be Mein Kampf?

Most folks know you can't repeal the law of gravity, but it's amazing how
many are willing to swallow whole the notion that you can repeal the laws

of
economics.

Scott McQueen

I still read over 100 books a year. Would you like to try for someting I
haven't read?

Are we supposed to be impressed?

The reply e-dress is a dead end.
If you want me to read your e-mail, send it to "dropbox" at the same ISP.
Armond Perretta

Scott McQueen wrote:
[someone snipped by someone wrote] ...

I still read over 100 books a year. Would you like to try for
someting I haven't read?

Are we supposed to be impressed?

When you say "we." are you writing with a particular group in mind? I
usually prefer to join only a few new clubs each year. I'm on a fixed (or
is it "broken"?) income and the dues can add up.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Scott McQueen

In article , "Armond Perretta" wrote:
Scott McQueen wrote:
[someone snipped by someone wrote] ...

I still read over 100 books a year. Would you like to try for
someting I haven't read?

Are we supposed to be impressed?

When you say "we." are you writing with a particular group in mind? I
usually prefer to join only a few new clubs each year. I'm on a fixed (or
is it "broken"?) income and the dues can add up.

It was a generic "we" not trying to include or exclude any
particular person.

The reply e-dress is a dead end.
If you want me to read your e-mail, send it to "dropbox" at the same ISP.
Jeff Morris

I spent the night of my high school graduation passed out under Samuelson's coffee table.
Does that count?

"anonymous" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:40:41 -0700, "Jack Rye"
.# said:

Would you like to try for someting I
haven't read?

Samuelson, perhaps?

h1r3z

"Mike" wrote in message

Is $1.50 per foot the average price for transient berthing? Can you or
should you make reservations ahead of time?

Wow, I have to pay 25GBP per ft where I am :-s

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
"h1r3z" wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

Is $1.50 per foot the average price for transient berthing? Can you or
should you make reservations ahead of time?

Wow, I have to pay 25GBP per ft where I am :-s

Per day? For one day? Where?

grandma Rosalie
Doug Dotson

Man has this thread degraded into nothingness.

.# said:

Keep telling yourself that VooDoo
economics worked for Regan

Regan, if I recall, was one of Lear's daughters. Reagan on the other

hand...

Now lesee. Who was it that first used the phrase "VooDoo economics" in his
presidential campaign, and what was the result of that campaign? And over
the following 8 years what did the GNP do?