posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.boats.motor

Default 2 stroke / 4 stroke advice

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I appreciate it.

Going to bed less stupid...

-Max

max camirand wrote:
Matt:

I'm too young to remember the seventies. Can you point me towards a
link that explains what you're talking about, with regards to reduced
fuel efficiency in cars for marginally better results at the tailpipe?
Sounds interesting.

Thanks

-Maxime Camirand

Matt Colie wrote:
KLC,

I don't like the thought of spills either, but three Canadian companies
have a total of 450+ wells for both oil and natural gas in Lake Erie
alone. They seem to manage just fine (with gear and technology from
American suppliers).

Recently, I was told by someone that has studied these problems for many
years that most of the oil on Lake Erie comes from untrapped storm
drains. The last big one was the Rouge River about three years ago.

We have the opportunity to correct a lot of problems if we pick the real
ones instead of the "politically correct" ones.

This has been my problem with the "evironmental movement" since they
forced cars to get much reduced fuel economy in favor of maginally
reduced tailpipe emissions. Remember the early cat cars of the mid
seventies?

Matt

KLC Lewis wrote:
"Matt Colie" wrote in message

Why do they make noise about dependence on foreign oil and not let anybody
go get what we have. (Canada has wells in most of the great lakes - we
aren't allowed to, Cuba will soon be using Chinese investment to drill
under the Florida straight - we can't do that either.)

Matt Colie - environmentally conscious but educated and realistic

I'm all for energy-independence, but I cannot believe that oil wells on our
Great Lakes would be a good idea. Oil spills from rigs on the oceans are bad
enough -- but similar spills on the Lakes would be disasterous.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.boats.motor

It wasn't the new factories that enabled Japan, it was an American Quality
Control expert. And a set of managers that would listen to him.

Detroit refused to listen to Edward Demming who was telling American
automobile manufacturers that the American people wanted cars that would not
only look good but run well, too. When the manufacturers failed to listen,
Demming took his ideas to Japan and for the next decade the Japanese owned
the American car market.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:24:51 -0500, withheld
wrote:

Everybody tends to forget that Germany and Japan both had all brand new
factories that (by enlarge) we paid for in the late fourties, but the US
plants all got seriously beat up making the hardware to win that war.

I always said the best thing we could ave done was bomb all our own
factories in 1946 so we could all start fresh.

I agree 100% it was the Japanese who made us stop making the same
basic car we started WWII with. The same is true of outboard motors
(to give this thread a "boaty" spin)
My mercury is still a Yamaha design and a lot of the parts are
interchangable until you get down the US designed "big foot".

derbyrm wrote:
It wasn't the new factories that enabled Japan, it was an American Quality
Control expert. And a set of managers that would listen to him.

Detroit refused to listen to Edward Demming who was telling American
automobile manufacturers that the American people wanted cars that would not
only look good but run well, too. When the manufacturers failed to listen,
Demming took his ideas to Japan and for the next decade the Japanese owned
the American car market.

Plus the rust problem in the '70s.
The Big 3 .,especially Ford, deserved to be run out of town on a rail.
They smugly sat back and let the imports get a toehold which grew into
an avalanche.