Larry W4CSC

Default Corned beef hash - A provisioning question

Ahhh....the smell of hot, greasy corned beef hash wafting up from the
galley into the cockpit full of nearly-green-faced passengers in a
rolling sea. This means I'll get a bigger ration, tonight!

Glenn, you ARE a naughty boy!

I forget, with corned beef hash do we serve the white, the red or the
Mateus Rose' ??

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 10:21:57 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

I have to admit that this is a little off topic but we don't see a lot
of corned beef hash down hea' in the South so I must impose on my Yankee
friends here for some info.

I got turned on to corned beef hash by the skipper of my last delivery
and thought I might bring along a couple of cans for the next run in
November. I finally found a couple of cans in the local grocery but it
is different. What we had on the boat was shredded and had pretty good
flavor. This stuff was ground and bland.

What is corned beef hash supposed to look like and what brands are
better than others?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.
Glenn Ashmore

Like I said Larry, We don't eat a lot of it down hea' but them Yankees
have a nack for making it taste pretty good. OTOH, their grits suck. ;-)

It could have been the diet on the 10 day passage that made them taste
so good. The skipper was from New Jersey and I think he got to keep the
excess expense allowance. After 6 days of bologna, Denty Moore and
Hormel chili that corned beef hash tasted great!

I did manage to sneak some rib eyes and a bag of MatchLite on board and
the last night I broke down and fired up the Magma. On a beam reach in
the 20 knot Trades that was an adventure in itself. At least I didn't
loose any meat overboard.

Larry W4CSC wrote:
Ahhh....the smell of hot, greasy corned beef hash wafting up from the
galley into the cockpit full of nearly-green-faced passengers in a
rolling sea. This means I'll get a bigger ration, tonight!

Glenn, you ARE a naughty boy!

I forget, with corned beef hash do we serve the white, the red or the
Mateus Rose' ??

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 18:16:16 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

Like I said Larry, We don't eat a lot of it down hea' but them Yankees
have a nack for making it taste pretty good. OTOH, their grits suck. ;-)

After my ex and I got married, she took me on a "vacation" to NJ to
show me to her family. Make a note - Visiting ANYONE's family does
NOT a vacation make!

In NW NJ, we passed through one of the towns ending in "ville", there
are thousands. It was early and we wanted breakfast, so stopped by
this nice looking, but ancient, silver diner right out of a 1950's
movie. My stepdaughter, who was 7 and a Charleston girl through and
through, baffled the waitress ordering eggs and grits and toast.
Noone in the restaurant, we later found out, had never SEEN grits.
(She actually wanted SHRIMP and grits, but she figured we were too far
from the ocean in NW NJ out of season.)

All was not lost......

To satisfy Amanda, and knowing the scarcity of decent Southern
delicacies in Yankeeland, Loretta, my ex, had packed Quaker Instant
Grits in the vast array of stock in the car. Having retrieve
somethign the entire town had never seen before, amazed Quaker Oats
would keep such a delicacy from their local stores by diverting its
entire output to the South, she asked the waitress for some really hot
water. Instant isn't good, but it's better'n NONE!

We could see from the look on the waitress and cook's faces they were
very curious about these aliens and their unusual diets, so we offered
them all a bowl of genuine GRITS from our stash, praying they wouldn't
report us to the NJ State Attorney for possession of contraband......

We were clean out of state by the time any repercussions from
polluting rural New Jersey addicting them to new food sources. The
cook owned the restaurant and actually seemed to like them, at least
wanting to experiment with them. He promised me grits would be on the
menu when we came back to his "ville" diner. If you ever see grits on
the menu in New Jersey, please don't report us. I'm afraid to cross
the state line, still. No telling how much it spread by now. That
was in 1984.

I'm carrying a bushel of Okra on my next trip Nawth......(c; THAT
should just wreak real havoc! I'll stay off the Jersey Turnpike. Our
pictures are probably in every toll booth!

Y'all boys stop by.....We'll drop the crab trap off the end of the
finger pier and have some lunch. What do live blue crabs sell for in
Manhattan?....?? Damned things are crawlin' up the pontoons on the
docks, here.

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

Joe Wood

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Y'all boys stop by.....We'll drop the crab trap off the end of the
finger pier and have some lunch. What do live blue crabs sell for in
Manhattan?....?? Damned things are crawlin' up the pontoons on the
docks, here.

Here in Maryland the crabs are scarce. They're getting $200 a bushel
for non-Bay crabs and $32 a pound for picked crab meat.

As for the crabs climbing up the pontoons. You may be having a dead sea
condition where the algae uses up all the dissolved oxygen. that is
unless you're just funnin' us. We've had several large fish kills here
on the bay this year and instances of the crabs coming out of the water
gasping for air.

See: http://www.cbf.org

Joe Wood

Larry W4CSC

The crabs are great. They come up the pontoons over where the free
divers clean their fish to check out the cleanup...(c; The free
divers always feed 'em dumping all the guts and stuff back into the
river. Best crabbin' in the neighborhood right under that cleaning
sink.

The crabbers whos traps are out in the river will sell them to you out
of the boat for $3/pound, here. At $200/pound, it'd be a tidy
business to buy 'em in Charleston and truck them to Maryland! I'll
tell the boys in the boat next time I see them....(c;

The shrimper at the roadside truck is getting $2.50/pound, heads on.
(Great boiled peanuts for $1.25/pound, too!).....

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 08:35:17 -0400, Joe Wood
wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:

[...]

Ron Thornton

You guys are killing me. I love the stuff, fresh made or canned, but
had to stop eating it after I had a stroke and started to read the
cholesterol content on the cans, WOW! I do cheat if I go north and can
get it fresh made.

Ron

Cardinal Bill

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Ahhh....the smell of hot, greasy corned beef hash wafting up from the
galley into the cockpit full of nearly-green-faced passengers in a
rolling sea. This means I'll get a bigger ration, tonight!

Damn! You just reminded me. In 1957 my father was transfered to Hickam
AFB in Hawaii. We boarded a USN transport ship in San Francisco for the
trip over. As we bounced out the evening meal the first day was: as
the starter watery Split Pea Soup (beautiful green stuff that sloshed
around in the bowl), with a main course of greasy baked Pork Chop, it
lay on the plate congealing in the liquid. Who said those swabbies
didn't have a sense of humor. :-)

--
Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles.
-- Frank Lloyd Wright