Larry W4CSC

Default Corned beef hash - A provisioning question

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 18:16:16 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

Like I said Larry, We don't eat a lot of it down hea' but them Yankees
have a nack for making it taste pretty good. OTOH, their grits suck. ;-)

After my ex and I got married, she took me on a "vacation" to NJ to
show me to her family. Make a note - Visiting ANYONE's family does
NOT a vacation make!

In NW NJ, we passed through one of the towns ending in "ville", there
are thousands. It was early and we wanted breakfast, so stopped by
this nice looking, but ancient, silver diner right out of a 1950's
movie. My stepdaughter, who was 7 and a Charleston girl through and
through, baffled the waitress ordering eggs and grits and toast.
Noone in the restaurant, we later found out, had never SEEN grits.
(She actually wanted SHRIMP and grits, but she figured we were too far
from the ocean in NW NJ out of season.)

All was not lost......

To satisfy Amanda, and knowing the scarcity of decent Southern
delicacies in Yankeeland, Loretta, my ex, had packed Quaker Instant
Grits in the vast array of stock in the car. Having retrieve
somethign the entire town had never seen before, amazed Quaker Oats
would keep such a delicacy from their local stores by diverting its
entire output to the South, she asked the waitress for some really hot
water. Instant isn't good, but it's better'n NONE!

We could see from the look on the waitress and cook's faces they were
very curious about these aliens and their unusual diets, so we offered
them all a bowl of genuine GRITS from our stash, praying they wouldn't
report us to the NJ State Attorney for possession of contraband......

We were clean out of state by the time any repercussions from
polluting rural New Jersey addicting them to new food sources. The
cook owned the restaurant and actually seemed to like them, at least
wanting to experiment with them. He promised me grits would be on the
menu when we came back to his "ville" diner. If you ever see grits on
the menu in New Jersey, please don't report us. I'm afraid to cross
the state line, still. No telling how much it spread by now. That
was in 1984.

I'm carrying a bushel of Okra on my next trip Nawth......(c; THAT
should just wreak real havoc! I'll stay off the Jersey Turnpike. Our
pictures are probably in every toll booth!

Y'all boys stop by.....We'll drop the crab trap off the end of the
finger pier and have some lunch. What do live blue crabs sell for in
Manhattan?....?? Damned things are crawlin' up the pontoons on the
docks, here.

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.
Cardinal Bill

Larry W4CSC wrote:

On my ship, USS Everglades (AD-24), midrats opened up at 11PM......

No sh...errrr....kidding! My first ship was the USS Arcadia (AD-23) out
of Newport RI. From there I went to the USS Talbot (DEG-4) again at
Newport after we got it commissioned in Boston.

I was a ETN2 at my discharge, 4 years (1965-1969).

--
"I hate the itching. But I don't mind the swelling."
-- new buzz phrase, like "Where's the Beef?" that David Letterman's trying

Steve

I was R1 Div Officer on the USS Grand Canyon AD 28 (69-72). Made 3
deployments in 3 years. (Just about cost me my marrage.)

Also served on USS Sperry AS-12 and USS Jason AR-8. Plus a half dozen other
broken down old surface ships..

Did 23 years and never got any shore duty, just more WWII rust buckets.

But I'm enjoying my retirement now.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Larry W4CSC

Thanks, Bill! Nice to meet another AD sailor. If you're ever in
Charleston, go aboard the USS Yorktown (CV-10) at Patriots Point Naval
Museum and post yourself on the shipmates board and look through the
log books. I've reunited with many of the guys I sailed with back in
the 60's that way. Living in Charleston, many have called me from the
post over there and we have a great old time reliving our tours on
"Big Mama"......(c;

I was an ET-1598 cal tech and keeper of the keys to the TBKs, TBMs,
TCSs and TBLs in Radio II under the after king post, an experience I
wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

I was also the duty thief, and have stolen and misappropriated many
items or traded shipyard service for tons of coffee with the sandcrabs
before I became one. My repair officer would be careful about what he
wished for...(c; "We sure could use a new pickup truck.", he said one
day. Took me 3 days to find him a new Dodge 3/4 ton truck....and
another week to get the white sidewall tires for it...(c; Ship had a
troublesome URC-32 the RMs had destroyed. Cost me 75 pounds of prime
coffee for that one. I showed up in the new truck with it all crated
up in the back, saying to my suspicious EMO, "Mr Seegar, we'd better
get that new transmitter aboard real soon. It looks like it's gonna
rain!" "Where'd you get that?", he enquired within earshot of LCDR
Hayder. "Stop asking embarrassing questions, Myron.", the LCDR
replied.....as I made my hasty retreat. Geez....Do they have to know
EVERYTHING?

Larry ET1

"No, Sir, that's not a GM 6-53 diesel engine. That's a GM 6-71 diesel
engine, Sir."..........."Thank you, Sir."......

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 20:10:33 -0800, Cardinal Bill
wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:

On my ship, USS Everglades (AD-24), midrats opened up at 11PM......

No sh...errrr....kidding! My first ship was the USS Arcadia (AD-23) out
of Newport RI. From there I went to the USS Talbot (DEG-4) again at
Newport after we got it commissioned in Boston.

I was a ETN2 at my discharge, 4 years (1965-1969).

--
"I hate the itching. But I don't mind the swelling."
-- new buzz phrase, like "Where's the Beef?" that David Letterman's trying
to get everyone to start saying

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.
Larry W4CSC

Oh, oh....best not to tell Lt Steve about where the new Repair
Division truck came from.....(c;.....(salute)......"Good morning,
Sir!"

"Didn't we steal him a new vent fan motor for his department a couple
of months back?"......er, ah.....

"No, Sir. I had nothing to do with your shipyard paperwork being
moved up from the bottom of the stack to those guys starting the job
this morning.....really!"

(Hmm....note to self....Coffee stores in the Repair Truck running low.
Send ETSNs Metz and Clark to CSC Beatty for a refill.)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 21:39:13 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

I was R1 Div Officer on the USS Grand Canyon AD 28 (69-72). Made 3
deployments in 3 years. (Just about cost me my marrage.)

Also served on USS Sperry AS-12 and USS Jason AR-8. Plus a half dozen other
broken down old surface ships..

Did 23 years and never got any shore duty, just more WWII rust buckets.

But I'm enjoying my retirement now.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

Thanks, Bill! Nice to meet another AD sailor. If you're ever in
Charleston, go aboard the USS Yorktown (CV-10) at Patriots Point Naval
Museum and post yourself on the shipmates board and look through the
log books. I've reunited with many of the guys I sailed with back in

Bob served briefly on the Yorktown (I'm not sure when exactly), and he
was quite upset at the way they've butchered her up on the inside, and
also that they have so many planes as part of the static displays that
never flew from her. He served on the sub too, and he was much
happier with that one. He was probably on the sub when he was in the
enlisted reserves. He's also spent time on the Essex (her last cruise
as a matter of fact), but most of his time was on the Intrepid.

He was on one midshipman cruise where they served nothing but ham and
other cured pork products for a month morning noon and night. He will
eat bacon now (and also scrapple but they didn't serve that), but he's
not very fond of ham or sausage even now over 45 years later. He
doesn't care for corned beef either. (I didn't realize that I could
make my own corned beef hash - I've only had the canned.)

wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:

On my ship, USS Everglades (AD-24), midrats opened up at 11PM......

No sh...errrr....kidding! My first ship was the USS Arcadia (AD-23) out
of Newport RI. From there I went to the USS Talbot (DEG-4) again at
Newport after we got it commissioned in Boston.

I was a ETN2 at my discharge, 4 years (1965-1969).

--
"I hate the itching. But I don't mind the swelling."
-- new buzz phrase, like "Where's the Beef?" that David Letterman's trying
to get everyone to start saying

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

grandma Rosalie
Joe Wood

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Y'all boys stop by.....We'll drop the crab trap off the end of the
finger pier and have some lunch. What do live blue crabs sell for in
Manhattan?....?? Damned things are crawlin' up the pontoons on the
docks, here.

Here in Maryland the crabs are scarce. They're getting $200 a bushel
for non-Bay crabs and $32 a pound for picked crab meat.

As for the crabs climbing up the pontoons. You may be having a dead sea
condition where the algae uses up all the dissolved oxygen. that is
unless you're just funnin' us. We've had several large fish kills here
on the bay this year and instances of the crabs coming out of the water
gasping for air.

See: http://www.cbf.org

Joe Wood

Larry W4CSC

The crabs are great. They come up the pontoons over where the free
divers clean their fish to check out the cleanup...(c; The free
divers always feed 'em dumping all the guts and stuff back into the
river. Best crabbin' in the neighborhood right under that cleaning
sink.

The crabbers whos traps are out in the river will sell them to you out
of the boat for $3/pound, here. At $200/pound, it'd be a tidy
business to buy 'em in Charleston and truck them to Maryland! I'll
tell the boys in the boat next time I see them....(c;

The shrimper at the roadside truck is getting $2.50/pound, heads on.
(Great boiled peanuts for $1.25/pound, too!).....

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 08:35:17 -0400, Joe Wood
wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:

[...]

Larry W4CSC

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 23:40:51 -0700, Jim Richardson
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:27:33 GMT,
Larry W4CSC wrote:

snip

"No, Sir, that's not a GM 6-53 diesel engine. That's a GM 6-71 diesel
engine, Sir."..........."Thank you, Sir."......

I had a LtCol ask if we could get a spare 6-71 for the maint hut genset,
I showed up with a 1ton tug, when he asked what it was, I told him it
was the container the 6-71 came in... He glared at me, but we kept the
6-71.

I always found it best NOT to tell the officers too much. It was our
"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy...(c;

Remember all those nameplates you turned in on "surveyed" (scrapped)
equipment to get them out of the paper trail? NAVELEX sent a
contractor around to verify field changes, a job I later did for a few
years with Amex Systems. Good thing he was an old ETC we could talk
to. We schmoozed him into not telling on us.

Well, if your ship needs anything smaller than a 5"-38 gunmount, come
see me. I probably know where it's stored..........Bring coffee in
25# cans.

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.
Rosalie B.

Default Was Corned beef hash -Now crabs

x-no-archive:yes "Keith" wrote:

$200 a bushel for non-bay crabs? Heck, maybe I should ship ya'll some of our
Texas blue crabs... A couple of chicken necks and some nets and I'll have
'ya a bushel in no time. If you like hunting more than fishing, just walk
down the piers and if you walk real quiet, you can scoop them off the
floats.

When we moved to Louisiana (in 1960) we found blue crabs were
incredibly cheap there compared to the Chesapeake. Of course we had
to get my MIL to ship us some Old Bay - all they had there on the Gulf
was Crab Boil or Shrimp Boil. Yuk.

There is a blue crab drought in the Chesapeake this year - it isn't
always like this. We are paying about $30 a dozen for cooked hard
crabs here close to the source, and it's much more up in Baltimore.

grandma Rosalie