Matt O'Toole

Default PC Navigation Software

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 01:10:22 +0000, John Glynn wrote:

I'm sort of used to navigating with paper charts and a pencil...but
thinking of moving a little higher-tech.

Been looking at PC Navigation Software. Looked at Chart Navigator Pro
by MapTech, the Ozi one, Fugawi and others.

I sure would appreciate users input on what they use, and what they like
and don't like about it.

I've used most of the PC based systems up to the latest generation, which
I haven't tried. They all have their good and bad points.

For the last 3 years I've been using Maptech's Pocket Navigator, which
runs on a PDA, with a companion program on a laptop. You can't use one
without the other. It works great though, the PDA being much faster and
easier to use, plus you can see the screen in direct sunlight. So far
this is my favorite.* The downside is you need a PDA with GPS, and a
power cord. (PDA batteries don't last long enough for continuous
operation.) So it's not a cheap setup, nor is it convenient for everyone.

Previously I had used every version of Maptech since 1.0 for DOS*. All of
these except 1.0 are slow, even on fast computers; very cumbersome to use,
and buggy. The problem is poor software design, and that raster charts
are too slow to load.

Nobletech was better, but it had two problems that drove me nuts. One,
you can't adjust the size of the boat icon, so when you zoom out you
can't see it anymore. Two, if your computer crashes while Nobletec is
running, you have to completely wipe Nobletec off your drive and reinstall
the program from scratch. Other than that it's pretty good. I believe
Nobletec is the #1 selling PC nav program.

For a less expensive setup that's simple and easy to use, it's hard to
beat The Cap'n. It's the closest thing to Maptech 1.0 for DOS.*

I have not tried any of the new vector chart programs, which should be a
big improvement for many reasons. There's one caveat with vector charts
though: when you zoom way in, it may be hard to know when you're at the
limit of the chart's resolution. Raster charts are simply images of paper
charts, where you can see the limit of resolution, and/or you get a
pixelated image when you zoom in too far.

*Maptech 1.0 for DOS is still the best designed, easiest to use program
ever, but charts and support are no longer available.

I hope competition among the new players in this field will improve the
breed. Until now, Maptech's monopoly on chart publishing has stifled
innovation, resulting in a lot of poor software. With a new chart format
that's open and free, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Matt O.
johnhh

I'm not sure what you mean about the boat icon in Nobeltec. I have used
most versions and never noticed this problem. I'm on 8.0 now and checked it
out. While you can't adjust the boat icon size, it doesn't shrink as you
zoom out either so it remains the same size no matter what the zoom level.

news

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:14:13 -0800, johnhh wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean about the boat icon in Nobeltec. I have used
most versions and never noticed this problem. I'm on 8.0 now and checked
it out. While you can't adjust the boat icon size, it doesn't shrink as
you zoom out either so it remains the same size no matter what the zoom
level.

I think you're right. I knew there was something about the non-adjustable
size of the boat icon that bothered me, but it was actually the opposite
of what I just wrote. It was really a pain sometimes, like when passing
close to something on a large scale chart, or poking into tight spots.
It's not always practical to be switching between higher and lower
resolution charts.

I don't remember which Nobletec version I used last, but I'm thinking 6.0.

Matt O.

Brent Geery

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:04:16 -0500, Matt O'Toole
wrote:

For the last 3 years I've been using Maptech's Pocket Navigator, which
runs on a PDA, with a companion program on a laptop. You can't use one
without the other. It works great though, the PDA being much faster and
easier to use, plus you can see the screen in direct sunlight. So far
this is my favorite.

Pocket Navigator = old and crippled version of Memory Map Navigator.

MM has an upgrade program where all you pay is the difference between
what Maptech charges for Pocket Nav and what they charge for Memory
Map Navigator or the Pro version. The Pro version even has support
for AIS display on the PocktPC.

http://www.memory-map.com/software_upgrade.htm can give you the cost
to upgrade to MMN or MMP. This is probably the cheapest route.

Upgrading will probably be cheapest way to get MM, but FYI for anyone
else buying new: The cheapest retailer for the Pro version that I
have found is the Canadian http://www.maptown.com. They have the Pro
version for US$173 (vs $225 retail) for the retail boxed version
delivered to the US. They also have the retail box version of MM
Navigator for $111 delivered to the US, but it's cheaper to just buy a
license from http://www.memory-map.com and download the software.

Why Memory Map is not more well known i beyond me. It is written by
an active sailor and cruiser and it is by far the most intuitive and
easy to use chart plotting software out there IMHO, and it is blazing
fast, like no other bar none.

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king.
Brent Geery

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 04:25:29 GMT, "John Glynn"
wrote:

Yeah, I was looking at Ozi too. The attraction of MapTech for me was that
it seems to include a whole pile of charts...kinda seems like a buy the
charts and the software is free kinda thing.

As all the US charts are now free direct from the NOAA, I see no
reason to be stuck with a Maptech product. All of Maptech's charting
software is just licensed versions of other companies' products. In
most cases, stripped down to some degree (especially to lock you into
Maptech map products) or more expensive than buying the "the real
thing" direct from the licensor and skipping Maptech's version.

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king.

Ryk

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 01:10:22 GMT, "John Glynn"
wrote:

I'm sort of used to navigating with paper charts and a pencil...but thinking
of moving a little higher-tech.

Been looking at PC Navigation Software. Looked at Chart Navigator Pro by
MapTech, the Ozi one, Fugawi and others.

I sure would appreciate users input on what they use, and what they like and
don't like about it.

I've been quite happy with Fugawi ENC V3, using it primarily as an
interactive electronic chart plotter, without taking advantage of the
route planning features. It's just not so convenient in close quarters
to have the chart plot down on the nav station, so far from the wheel.

I would love to have a daylight visible and weather proof display at
the wheel, but there doesn't seem to be a matching product. The
computer side is too dim and fragile, while the chart plotters all
seem to use proprietary charting, with no way to easily take advantage
of the NOAA freebies. Anybody have a suggestion to put the free charts
into my cockpit?

Thanks,

Ryk
Brent Geery

wrote:

[...]

Like you, I refuse to be dependant upon proprietary chart formats
(with outdated data) sold at premium prices by the hardware
manufactures. Why can't a company come out with a inexpensive LCD
screen that uses reflective technology vs the common transmissive
technology. PDAs have used this feature for a long time on their
small screens to cure the problems caused by trying to power an energy
hungry back light to fight the sun. For now, I see the PDA as the
only economical choice, in terms of both money and electrical energy
demands.

So, buy PDA and run Fugawi's PDA software that came with your ENC
software for free. PDA screens are daylight viewable. Stick the PDA
in an otterbox waterproof (to 100 feet) case.

I don't know if Fugawi's PDA software is VGA compatible, but it's a
critical feature IMO, with the ability to show four times as much
chart on the screen vs a QVGA displays of lesser PDAs. Memory-Maps's
PDA software is VGA compatible for sure.

If you have a NMEA multiplexor, get a $70 "AIRcable"
serial-to-bluetooth adaptor on it, and now walk around your boat with
all your nav data-- even laying in your bunk! Memory-Map Pro will
even show AIS targets on the PDA.

This option is the most energy efficient and least expensive of all
the solutions.

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king.
johnhh

1. a very expensive daylight viewable monitor.
2. a Panasonic PDWD remote wireless waterproof display display. These look
pretty nice, but I've never seen on in action. They cost around $1800
3. I have ordered a Fujitsu tablet PC with 10" sunlight viewable monitor
and an OtterBox water proof case that lets you use it in the rain. I will
connect it to the GPS and other instruments through a NMEA Bluetooth
multiplexer. We'll see how it all works out.

wrote:

[...]

Wayne.B

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 04:25:29 GMT, "John Glynn"
wrote:

So, do you find MapTech relatively easy to use and pretty helpful for
navigating?

It absolutely is helpful since I haven't relied on paper charts for
years and that takes in many thousands of miles over the entire east
coast. And yes, I have an extra laptop for backup just in case.

Ease of use is hard to judge once you are experienced with a piece of
software. There is definitely a learning curve but it is not too
steep. I have it installed on my desktop at home and am constantly
using it for trip planning and such, and that is a good way to learn
as well.

It is very easy to export routes, waypoints and tracks from one
computer to another which is quite useful.

Let me know if you have specific questions about how do do something
and I'll try to help.

Wayne.B

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:36:04 -0800, Brent Geery
wrote:

As all the US charts are now free direct from the NOAA, I see no
reason to be stuck with a Maptech product.

Maptech OSN works just fine with the new free BSB charts.

Formsys Maxsurf v11, other Naval Architecture Software, Marine Architecture Software, ship design software, boat building, Maxsurf Pro 9.52 (and Addons), Autoship 8.xx (and Addons), Proteus.Engineering.FastShip.v­6.1.25, HYDROSOFT NAVCAD 4.23.0061, S [email protected] Boat Building 0 January 13th 06 11:01 PM
Chart Display Software on PC Lloyd General 0 November 21st 05 06:24 PM
Garmin software JIm Cruising 0 November 6th 05 03:59 PM
Antsoft Best domain software Vasilisa General 0 October 5th 05 05:39 PM
Antsoft Best domain software Vasilisa General 0 October 5th 05 05:39 PM