johnhh

Default PC Navigation Software

I'm not sure what you mean about the boat icon in Nobeltec. I have used
most versions and never noticed this problem. I'm on 8.0 now and checked it
out. While you can't adjust the boat icon size, it doesn't shrink as you
zoom out either so it remains the same size no matter what the zoom level.

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 01:10:22 +0000, John Glynn wrote:

I'm sort of used to navigating with paper charts and a pencil...but
thinking of moving a little higher-tech.

Been looking at PC Navigation Software. Looked at Chart Navigator Pro
by MapTech, the Ozi one, Fugawi and others.

I sure would appreciate users input on what they use, and what they like
and don't like about it.

I've used most of the PC based systems up to the latest generation, which
I haven't tried. They all have their good and bad points.

For the last 3 years I've been using Maptech's Pocket Navigator, which
runs on a PDA, with a companion program on a laptop. You can't use one
without the other. It works great though, the PDA being much faster and
easier to use, plus you can see the screen in direct sunlight. So far
this is my favorite.* The downside is you need a PDA with GPS, and a
power cord. (PDA batteries don't last long enough for continuous
operation.) So it's not a cheap setup, nor is it convenient for everyone.

Previously I had used every version of Maptech since 1.0 for DOS*. All of
these except 1.0 are slow, even on fast computers; very cumbersome to use,
and buggy. The problem is poor software design, and that raster charts
are too slow to load.

Nobletech was better, but it had two problems that drove me nuts. One,
you can't adjust the size of the boat icon, so when you zoom out you
can't see it anymore. Two, if your computer crashes while Nobletec is
running, you have to completely wipe Nobletec off your drive and reinstall
the program from scratch. Other than that it's pretty good. I believe
Nobletec is the #1 selling PC nav program.

For a less expensive setup that's simple and easy to use, it's hard to
beat The Cap'n. It's the closest thing to Maptech 1.0 for DOS.*

I have not tried any of the new vector chart programs, which should be a
big improvement for many reasons. There's one caveat with vector charts
though: when you zoom way in, it may be hard to know when you're at the
limit of the chart's resolution. Raster charts are simply images of paper
charts, where you can see the limit of resolution, and/or you get a
pixelated image when you zoom in too far.

*Maptech 1.0 for DOS is still the best designed, easiest to use program
ever, but charts and support are no longer available.

I hope competition among the new players in this field will improve the
breed. Until now, Maptech's monopoly on chart publishing has stifled
innovation, resulting in a lot of poor software. With a new chart format
that's open and free, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Matt O.