Brent Geery

Default PC Navigation Software

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:04:16 -0500, Matt O'Toole
wrote:

For the last 3 years I've been using Maptech's Pocket Navigator, which
runs on a PDA, with a companion program on a laptop. You can't use one
without the other. It works great though, the PDA being much faster and
easier to use, plus you can see the screen in direct sunlight. So far
this is my favorite.

Pocket Navigator = old and crippled version of Memory Map Navigator.

MM has an upgrade program where all you pay is the difference between
what Maptech charges for Pocket Nav and what they charge for Memory
Map Navigator or the Pro version. The Pro version even has support
for AIS display on the PocktPC.

http://www.memory-map.com/software_upgrade.htm can give you the cost
to upgrade to MMN or MMP. This is probably the cheapest route.

Upgrading will probably be cheapest way to get MM, but FYI for anyone
else buying new: The cheapest retailer for the Pro version that I
have found is the Canadian http://www.maptown.com. They have the Pro
version for US$173 (vs $225 retail) for the retail boxed version
delivered to the US. They also have the retail box version of MM
Navigator for $111 delivered to the US, but it's cheaper to just buy a
license from http://www.memory-map.com and download the software.

Why Memory Map is not more well known i beyond me. It is written by
an active sailor and cruiser and it is by far the most intuitive and
easy to use chart plotting software out there IMHO, and it is blazing
fast, like no other bar none.

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king.