Default engine question

Again, I'd recco rebuilding the A4 but you really can repower with a
diesel for less than 6K. I just looked on TADiesel web site and they
have a used 24 hp (Perkins I think) for $3950 guaranteed to work. It
has a new control panel too.
I repowered my 28' S2 going from a 6.5 hp Yanmar to a 13 hp Yanmar with
no problems. I also thought it'd be a drop in replacement but it
wasn't. I had top cut down the engine stringers but othetr than that
it went well and wasn't too hard.

Jim

Gary wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:52:38 GMT, Jim wrote:

Is the transom strong enough for a bracket? You can't just bold a
bracket on any transom. Even though you see many done this way.

==========================

The transom on a Vanguard is darn near bullet proof, as is the rest of
the boat. If you are getting a really good deal (near free), and
everything else is in good condition, and you intend to keep it for
awhile, repowering might make sense. It will be far cheaper to put in
a rebuilt A4 but the diesel is a better long term choice. Repowering
with a new diesel, fuel tank replacement, new controls and guages will
probably run somewhere north of $12K. Rebuilt A4, might be less than
$3K.

If it's free, take without even worrying about the engine. Sail it and
tow it with the dinghy. Anything beats watching from the shore.

Gaz

The best advice yet.

Jere Lull

In article %lWpf.4332$u36.1397@trndny01,
"Thomas Wentworth" wrote:

A friend has offered me his old Pearson Vanguard 33' sailboat. It is
in good shape. But, it needs a new engine. It has the original
Atomic 4 gas.

What diesel engine would be the best replacement? How much do the
diesels cost? How much work is it the replace an old Atomic 4 in a
1968 year sailboat? When replacing the engine, does the shaft, fuel
tank etc also get replaced?

Any other info???

We repowered a decade ago and couldn't be happier, but if I were in your
position, I'd get a rebuilt A4 and probably upgrade the alternator and
prop.

You're looking at replacing just about everything from the starting
battery through fuel system, filters, engine beds, shaft, prop and a
host of little things.

If you're handy, you can do it yourself probably, but that's time you
could be sailing. You already have enough to do to get it ready for this
season.

--
Jere Lull
Rich Hampel

A precision rebuilt Atomic4 will cost approximately $3500-$4500
depending on peripheral 'upgrades' such as fresh water cooling,
electronic ignition, PCV, external oil filtration, etc. But will
require no new engine beds, no new propshaft and prop, no new fuel
tank, no new engine control panel and no new fuel delivery system.

A diesel replacement will cost in the neighborhood of $11000-$14000 but
requires engine bed. prop/shaft modification, etc. that may further
increase the total cost. A diesel will not increase the value of the
boat when it comes to sale of the boat in future.

Obviously a rebuilt Atomic 4 is a direct replacment. An Atomic-4 is a
very SMOOTH running 4 cylinder engine and doesnt require 'soft' motor
mounts as does a diesel.

A precision rebuilt Atomic-4 (need to 'swap' the old block for new) can
be obtained from www.moyermarine.com. Don Moyer is perceived as the
'worlds 'guru'' of Atomic -4s. You can purchase (with swap) a long
block or short block or a complete engine - depends on your ability to
'turn a wrench'. / mechanical ability.
A H FOSTER

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
A friend has offered me his old Pearson Vanguard 33' sailboat. It is in
good shape.
But, it needs a new engine. It has the original Atomic 4 gas.

What diesel engine would be the best replacement? How much do the diesels
cost? How much work is it the replace an old Atomic 4 in a 1968 year
sailboat? When replacing the engine, does the shaft, fuel tank etc also
get
replaced?

Any other info???

Thanks,,, Tom

http://www.geocities.com/atomfour/A4Parts.txt

http://www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/atomic4.htm

http://storm.prohosting.com/yankee30...ing_frolic.htm

http://www.pearsonvanguard.homestead...es/atomic4.htm

http://www.blacktelephone.com/surprise/atomic4.html

http://www.westerbeke.com/products/d...ail.cfm?eng=19

Check'm out.

Capt. Bill

Bill

Jim wrote:

Lots of folks with old boats rip out the Atomics and replace them with
outboards. It gives back some stowage and is a cheap alternative if you
like to sail. Of course if you are a motor cruiser or you intend to
venture away from the coast the outboard option is less feasible. If
it's a free boat in good shape, I'd check out the various options. It
is a classic boat.

Yes, lots of people do this. Why not?

The boat is now 4 feet longer. That will cost you about $450 a year
more. EVERY YEAR. It may require a longer slip.

The boats designed as outboard models are quite different from the
inboard models. The outboard model that was designed so that the
outboard controls are accessable. They are not accessable on an
outboard bracket.

I watch people going out all the time who have no control of their
outboard. An accident waiting to happen.

Starting the engine on a bracket is a pain, the engine can get dunked in
a swell. A Vangard, with the overhang, just makes this aspect worse.

Is the transom strong enough for a bracket? You can't just bold a
bracket on any transom. Even though you see many done this way.

No, you can't "rip out the inboard and replace it with an outboard."
Even though there are many examples.

I think installing an outboard in place of an inboard engine lowers the
value of the boat. A comment from a friend was "outboards are either out
of the water or under when you really need them". Check around on prices
and as I said in an earlier reply a friend found a Tohatsu diesel new for
$4500 and did the install himself so the total cost was under $5000. If
you pay to get it done it will probably cost you closer to $10k.
--
Bill Boyher
Ryk

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:15:55 -0500, DSK wrote:

It makes good sense *if* you plan to use the boat for a long
enough time to amortize the diesel.

I'm in a similar sort of situation, but with a functioning A-4. Try as
I might, I really can't see a way to amortize the diesel replacement
unless one is covering a lot of distance under power. At about C$10K
for a diesel replacement I would have to save something like C$1K on
fuel each year to pay it off in 15 or 20 years. I didn't get up close
to spending that much on gas this year, even though I lived on the
boat for 3 1/2 months straddling the Katrina spike and spent most of
it on the move.

The only way I could see paying off a diesel replacement in fuel
savings would be if I was making the powered ICW trip both ways each
year. Of course that may change if North American fuel prices move up
to match Europe.

Besides, I really like my A-4. I can replace the entire ignition
system out of an auto parts store for $120 and I can trouble-shoot all
the problems I've hit so far without calling in a pro. It's very good
for the ego.

Ryk
Lew Hodgett

Ryk wrote:

I'm in a similar sort of situation, but with a functioning A-4. Try as
I might, I really can't see a way to amortize the diesel replacement
unless one is covering a lot of distance under power.

I don't know how you put a price on it, but if something screws and the
gasoline goes BANG, what price does that carry?

If you have guests on board when it happens, what is the cost of
litigation to settle the claims?

Just curious, what is the increase in insurance premium of having a
gasoline power plant over a diesel engine.

Not taking sides, just asking questions.

Lew
Evan Gatehouse

Lew Hodgett wrote:

I don't know how you put a price on it, but if something screws and the
gasoline goes BANG, what price does that carry?

If you have guests on board when it happens, what is the cost of
litigation to settle the claims?

Just curious, what is the increase in insurance premium of having a
gasoline power plant over a diesel engine.

Not taking sides, just asking questions.

Lew

In my case - NONE! My current 40' catamaran had twin gas
outboards until this year. Installed a diesel and called my
insurance company and they said "no difference" after
punching the numbers into their computer. Said that
sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes not.

Evan Gatehouse

engine replacement question Thomas Wentworth Boat Building 17 December 31st 05 11:55 PM
new or rebuilt engine? richard Cruising 8 December 7th 05 05:44 PM
WEAR-FREE COLD ENGINE STARTS -prelubrication oil system Mic Cruising 0 November 11th 05 04:58 AM
Winterizing Checklist Skipper General 27 November 10th 05 02:58 AM
simple diesel engine question wblakesx Boat Building 4 October 15th 05 04:38 PM